Manufactio - Minecraft/Factorio hybrid

N

Nopers

I am also interested in a Discord for this modpack if you wouldn't mind throwing one up!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You are doing some really, really good work here!

A couple of notes for you that I just found out. In JEI, there is an item hiding mode. Essentially, you click on the JEI wrench, activate that and then when you click on an item, it will have a red background. What is happening is that JEI is writing that block data into a config file located in the config/JEI folder. When you go back into the settings and turn off the item hiding mode, the items will be hidden in JEI!

Then when you distribute your modpack, the config file will already be included and the items will be hidden for players.

Is your plan to use Pneumaticraft for drones?

Do you have a Discord name, or an easy way to chat in real-time as I would like to help out with this.
Hmm, I didn't know that about JEI. I've been using gamestages+crafttweaker to set a non-existent game stage to items I want to hide.

TBH I wasn't going to be including drones (apart from The Drones mod by Vadis365) mainly because you have to use the pressure system which is out of place (I know you can make pressure directly from RF) and due to the massive amount of recipe changes I'd have to introduce so that once you've researched drones, you can start using them, and not have to build a complete system before you can use them.
I can add it to my to-do list as drone progression is an offshoot from the main tech research path.

I am also interested in a Discord for this modpack if you wouldn't mind throwing one up!
I must admit I'm bit of an "old man" now in the IT scene, and have never looked at or used Discord. I'd prefer to stick with the forum or PMs.

Update news (it's been a little while):
I think I've got the new mining and "ore gen" in place, and numerous test worlds feel "right" with the ore distribution.
Since crafting the drills (quarries) are also a vital part of science packs, you craft a "solid block" version, but then shapeless craft this again to turn it into the actual number of blocks for the multiblock structure (just like a block into ingots, etc). This makes the auto-crafting simpler.
Since you now also need to craft Drill Heads, this makes the Drills more expensive then factorio (can't be helped, but there are plenty of resources now, and you are given a Iron Drill head at the start). There are 5 drill heads that have increasing mining speed (Iron, Steel, Diamond, Titanium & Uranium).
You do start with the top tier scanner (fully charged), but lack the ability to charge it (easy enough to build a charging system though).
I've discovered an issue with Better Boilers, sometimes they stop working as a multiblock. I'm investigating cause, and due to being your main early game power source, I need to get this resolved before releasing next update.
The two quarry mods and thermal expansion have been successfully removed, and scripts/quest book have been updated accordingly.
I've added Better Foliage and Just a Few Fish to bring the world to life a bit more, and Portal Gun as a fun toy in the Nanotech stage of the game (aka Mekanism)

Regarding ore distribution, the main ores Coal, Iron & Copper should appear rarely as super dense concentrations (100-200k blocks) in 1 or 2 chunks at max. After that more commonly is 2-5 sized chunks of 30k deposits, and then more common scatterings of 2000 blocks.
Uranium, Tin, Redstone & Aluminium have their own generation, and are not as dense as the main ores.
The other ores also generate, but in small amounts (max 1000 blocks) scattered about since they are not required as much (might actually be better to go manual mining for them).
Ores that drop items actually use the item drops and not ore blocks in the new mining system.

After this update, my next goal is test out the Advanced Rocketry asteroid mining, which will be another way to get resources, especially resources that do not generate in the overworld (i.e. Osmium) and is also required to progress into the ProjectE tech and the challenge quests that provide creative items. These tech items are completely different from Factorio, as there's no way to do a similar rocket launch in Minecraft (unless I force the rocket to be made out of singularities, which is just meh) so the resources are spread over more research and tech instead.

N

Nopers

I hate to say it but I am a bit of an ol' fuddyduddy myself and a lot of the tech mods being used I don't know squat about. Any chance you might be willing to work in a rough guideline on "what to do next" via the questbook? Neat modpack so far!

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I hate to say it but I am a bit of an ol' fuddyduddy myself and a lot of the tech mods being used I don't know squat about. Any chance you might be willing to work in a rough guideline on "what to do next" via the questbook? Neat modpack so far!
The quest/research progression should be a guide enough, I've tried to ensure quests in other chapters show requirements to craft the item (so for example, if you want to play with Flamethrowers - who wouldn't?, the flame thrower progression indicates that plastics and flammables are required, looking at processing you'll plastics is behind oil, and I've tried to explain build requirements at vital stages).

But if any of the quests/research are confusing, give me a shout and I'll try to improve the explanation or add further info only quests.

Out of interest, which tech mods have you not used?

D

Dhyces

I haven't looked thtough all the pages here, but have you considered using the Factory0-Resources mod? There's also a mod someone made of the FTB subreddit, though there is no download for it, that just implements the inserters from Factorio

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I haven't looked thtough all the pages here, but have you considered using the Factory0-Resources mod? There's also a mod someone made of the FTB subreddit, though there is no download for it, that just implements the inserters from Factorio
Yep, switching over to Factory0 in the next pack update. I've used Magneticraft for the inserters and advanced conveyor belts.

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
Just read through this entire thread, and I'm loving the concept as both a Factorio and Minecraft player.

A few suggestions, just based on looking in the thread:
  • Use a custom item from a custom items mod (perhaps the Custom Stuff mod?) for the research packs. It seems a little odd to only use the Thermal coins as science packs.
  • The modpack should be playable with only the vanilla resource pack, as some people prefer to use their own resource pack, or their PC can't handle the 32x pack you're using right now.
  • Maybe Modular Machines as a really, really end-game (as in post-asteroid mining) way of processing anything really quickly or in bulk. How it was used in Enigmatica 2 Expert was wonderful (being able to automate really annoying machines like the Forestry Carpenter and Thermionic Fabricator), and could provide some ideas for uses.
  • To emulate Factorio rail signals, the Signals mod would fit perfectly.
  • To emulate the circuit network, we'd need either wiring up tons of IE redstone wire and making sure to keep the signals separate, wireless redstone, and/or Project: RED/RSWires. I don't think there's anything out there that can replicate combinators, though.
And some questions:
  • What are you using for circuits? What is the progression for it?
  • What are the plans for power gen? Steam -> Solar -> Nuclear?
  • How many mods are there going to be for the "main" progression (grinding up to space science)?
Looking forward to this pack. I might want to alpha test this, too.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just read through this entire thread, and I'm loving the concept as both a Factorio and Minecraft player.

A few suggestions, just based on looking in the thread:
  • Use a custom item from a custom items mod (perhaps the Custom Stuff mod?) for the research packs. It seems a little odd to only use the Thermal coins as science packs.
  • The modpack should be playable with only the vanilla resource pack, as some people prefer to use their own resource pack, or their PC can't handle the 32x pack you're using right now.
  • Maybe Modular Machines as a really, really end-game (as in post-asteroid mining) way of processing anything really quickly or in bulk. How it was used in Enigmatica 2 Expert was wonderful (being able to automate really annoying machines like the Forestry Carpenter and Thermionic Fabricator), and could provide some ideas for uses.
  • To emulate Factorio rail signals, the Signals mod would fit perfectly.
  • To emulate the circuit network, we'd need either wiring up tons of IE redstone wire and making sure to keep the signals separate, wireless redstone, and/or Project: RED/RSWires. I don't think there's anything out there that can replicate combinators, though.
And some questions:
  • What are you using for circuits? What is the progression for it?
  • What are the plans for power gen? Steam -> Solar -> Nuclear?
  • How many mods are there going to be for the "main" progression (grinding up to space science)?
Looking forward to this pack. I might want to alpha test this, too.

• I've used Thermal Coins as they have no use. They are registered as part of Thermal Foundation, but without Thermal Expansion, serve no purpose. So a rename and a retexture they now have a use, and I don't need to add another mod.
  • I've changed the pack so the resource pack is now an optional, you could always load any other resource pack over the top.
  • I'll keep that in mind. I've slated Mekanism for that role, but I'm sure there will be holes to fill.
  • Oooooo. I'll look at that.
  • Never used the circuit network myself in Factorio, so must admit haven't thought further about it here either :D

• Mekanism circuits are being used, and have the same style of progression as in Factorio. I'm adding an option to use advanced rocketry to craft circuits with alternative cheaper recipes (but a slower craft), then finally mekanisms default recipes when you eventually get to the Mekanism stage.
  • Yep, the core power gen is Steam > Solar > Nuclear, but the Watermills & Windmills are available from IE, and also Diesel.
  • The core mods are Immersive Engineering, Immersive Petroleum, Better Boilers, EFab, TechGuns and early Advanced Rocketry machines. In total I think there are 82 mods loaded in the pack, and a large amount are cosmetic. Im trying to keep it as lightweight as possible.

The pack is available on Twitch, might be worth waiting a few days until the next version, due to the overhaul in mining.

P

Protius

Hey, just discovered the pack on Curse, don't usually use these forums myself. So far I am really liking what's going on with it. My one concern is the rename for the Science Packs seems bugged. Sometimes they show up as Packs/Research, and sometimes as the Thermal coins you're re-purposing them from. I'm not sure what mod you're using to change it, just thought you should know it wasn't fully working as intended.

I am using the included resource pack to poke around, in case that affects finding the cause.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hey, just discovered the pack on Curse, don't usually use these forums myself. So far I am really liking what's going on with it. My one concern is the rename for the Science Packs seems bugged. Sometimes they show up as Packs/Research, and sometimes as the Thermal coins you're re-purposing them from. I'm not sure what mod you're using to change it, just thought you should know it wasn't fully working as intended.

I am using the included resource pack to poke around, in case that affects finding the cause.
That's odd. Every test world they are always showing as research/science.

I do know there is a minor issue that if you load a resource pack, it breaks some of the crafttweaker renames, until you reload the modpack again. It's just the act of loading in a new resource pack sets names back to default. This has been an "issue" since 1.7.10 days.

Aiming to have mining update released tomorrow, haven't done much today, having one of those "meh" days today :D

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Version 0.4 is now available. Due to the big overhaul in mining I recommend starting a new world, but existing worlds will work, but you'll have to replace your quarries and give yourself a scanner.

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm playing with it and I can't seem to get the burner miner to work. I am in a chunk with both coal and copper, the miner is formed, the output is set, an iron drill head is inserted, and it has fuel. Am I missing something?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So I'm playing with it and I can't seem to get the burner miner to work. I am in a chunk with both coal and copper, the miner is formed, the output is set, an iron drill head is inserted, and it has fuel. Am I missing something?
There's another requirement, which in the latest version of the mod (which I missed before uploading) can be configured.

The drills have to be built on a surface of vanilla stone.

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
There's another requirement, which in the latest version of the mod (which I missed before uploading) can be configured.

Ah, I'm missing the stone.

Also, there's no way of crafting the vanilla crafting table, so you have to use the EFab instead. However, the fact that you use an EFab makes the Simple Generator quest unobtainable, because you don't have a crafting table per se until you get a Philosopher's Stone.

Mod Suggestions:
  • A Custom Item mod, so that the names of the science packs aren't coins and count as a separate item. It's also weird to be able to put science packs into a TE coin generator and get power from it. This will also allow the pack to not have a dependency on a modified resource pack.
  • Mouse Tweaks, for quick inventory management.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Also, there's no way of crafting the vanilla crafting table, so you have to use the EFab instead. However, the fact that you use an EFab makes the Simple Generator quest unobtainable, because you don't have a crafting table per se until you get a Philosopher's Stone.
That's right, the vanilla crafting table is disabled, it makes the base efab, which acts just like a vanilla crafting table, but takes 10 seconds to craft.
Unless I'm missing something?

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
I mean that the Simple Generator quest is a crafting task, which I'm pretty sure checks to see if you've crafted the item, as in physically clicking the item in a vanilla-based crafting table GUI result slot and removing it from the slot.

Technically the EFab is not crafting, according to Better Questing. I'd suggest changing that to an item check-like quest instead.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Mod Suggestions:
  • A Custom Item mod, so that the names of the science packs aren't coins and count as a separate item. It's also weird to be able to put science packs into a TE coin generator and get power from it. This will also allow the pack to not have a dependency on a modified resource pack.
  • Mouse Tweaks, for quick inventory management.
Err, unless you've loaded a fresh resource pack, the "coins" are named science packs/research. Next reload of the game with the resource pack will show the correct names. It's an issue with crafttweaker and resourcepacks since 1.7.10 days.

Thermal Expansion is no longer in the pack (0.4 version)

I mean that the Simple Generator quest is a crafting task, which I'm pretty sure checks to see if you've crafted the item, as in physically clicking the item in a vanilla-based crafting table GUI result slot and removing it from the slot.

Technically the EFab is not crafting, according to Better Questing. I'd suggest changing that to an item check-like quest instead.
A crafting task? Really, was I really that stupid? I've been purposely avoiding crafting tasks. Should just be a no-consume detection task.

I

Ilaststa

For your information, in quest "Introduction 1" it is stated that the burner drill needs a foundation of hardened stone. Was confused until i checked this thread.^^
Keep up the good work, the pack looks awesome.^^

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For your information, in quest "Introduction 1" it is stated that the burner drill needs a foundation of hardened stone. Was confused until i checked this thread.^^
Keep up the good work, the pack looks awesome.^^
Darn, yes, I was going to make it require hardened stone, then forgot all about changing the config....

F

Fayte91

mobs cannot spawn on grass, dirt, gravel, sand (aka surface materials), so if any appear, they should be emerging from caves..

Well, I am playing the 0.4 pack and since ores still generate on the surface in patches, the mobs are spawning on them and it's still a fight for life.