AE ate my diamonds :(

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried pulling that diamond out to see if it pulls out the correct number? First thing I would do.

Indeed. I have that single, solitary diamond sitting on my hotbar. I occasionally glance at it and sigh wistfully. :)

Seriously though, yeah. I tried pulling out other items too, and putting them back in. I tried rearranging the storage cells. I tried taking that 1k storage cell out and putting it in a separate ME chest.

Still just a bunch of single item stacks.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe a creeper or other terrain damaging object destroyed the connection to the items.

Not sure how that would look, considering there was no damage to anything else in the area...

Y'know, looking back on this thread, I can only conclude that people must:
a) really love AE, and
b) think that the average FTB player is a bit of a bumbling idiot

Just about every suggestion so far has implied an error on my part (which is fine, it's certainly possible) or something else. But it seems like a very unpopular idea to consider that AE might itself actually (gasp!) have a bug or something.

I can kind of understand why... I really like AE myself, and I dont *want* it to be buggy, especially if I'm using it all over the place in my world. But hey, stuff happens.

Anyhoo... we'll probably never know, and there's a new release of AE so...

Reactions: AlanEsh

Matthew83

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how that would look, considering there was no damage to anything else in the area...

a) really love AE, and

Just about every suggestion so far has implied an error on my part (which is fine, it's certainly possible) or something else. But it seems like a very unpopular idea to consider that AE might itself actually (gasp!) have a bug or something.

I can kind of understand why... I really like AE myself, and I dont *want* it to be buggy, especially if I'm using it all over the place in my world. But hey, stuff happens.

Anyhoo... we'll probably never know, and there's a new release of AE so...
I love AE but I understand how buggy these mods can be. Mindcrack was working really good for me but I decided to go with Ultimate. Love all that it adds but it also seems buggy. Though like you said updating has helped me some. I was having a lot of Mystcraft issues until I manually updated.

I also had some issues with AE not being able to craft some IC2 items in the ME Crafting Monitor but the update seems to have fixed that. I think your problem was a real bug and I sure hope it doesn't happen to me.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
a) really love AE, and

Yep, that pretty much sums up the entire planet.

heggico

Jul 29, 2019
No, cause alot of people want AE. The same cannot be said about windows 8.

But of course everyone thinks its a mistake on your part. Do you have any idea how many stupid things I've seen people post on forums and such? Besides, you only have to accidentally remove 1 cable and you don't have access to a certain part. So it's easier to first check whether or not you made a mistake. If everything looks all right, than we'll start thinking about a problem with the mod. I'm not saying you did something wrong, but you might have. That's what we're trying to find out ;)

Drkevlar

Jul 29, 2019
I've had items disappear with AE and MFRs deep storage unit.
If the dsu has no items stored, any items sent to it will vanish.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I love AE but I understand how buggy these mods can be. Mindcrack was working really good for me but I decided to go with Ultimate. Love all that it adds but it also seems buggy. Though like you said updating has helped me some. I was having a lot of Mystcraft issues until I manually updated.

I also had some issues with AE not being able to craft some IC2 items in the ME Crafting Monitor but the update seems to have fixed that. I think your problem was a real bug and I sure hope it doesn't happen to me.

Don't take it personally! I used to work in tech support, and there was nearly always something that the user didn't tell us over the phone. When someone actually went to their desk often they had done something unconventional. You can't assume that someone has everything set up in the ideal manner from a forum post that says "something went wrong!". I'm definitely interested in this issue, if it's a bug I don't want my own ae to eat my items. If, however, it's as a result of the way you've set something up, I want to know that too, so I can ensure I don't do it too!

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
From trawling the ae MC forum thread, I found this:
Jaybob32, on 09 March 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:
Thanks for the great mod AlgorithmX2. I see great potential in it's use. However my friends and I have come upon a problem which is blocking us from using it. On occasion the items in Storagecells in the chests are disappearing.
Items are coming in from a Tesseract to chest which is connected to the system via an Import bus. We have 4 ME chests with a 4k cell in each, no preformatting. It randomly will lose items ,ie diamond stack, gems, steel ingots. These items disappear completely from the system never to be seen again. The system is currently drawing only 20u/t and is adequately powered.

I've looked through this forum and found only 1 post with a similar problem in an early version. I can't find a solution.

We are using FTB Ultimate with Tickthreading and Mytown suite and have the world preloaded.
Applied Energistics has been updated to rev9.e
Any help from the community is appreciated. At this time we can't use the mod.

This is related to TickThreading, apparently theres some issue with chunks not saving or something.
I know you're not on a server, however if the issue with that not saving chunks could suggest that your issue comes from chunks not loading. You mentioned you were moving items from one base to another - was the base that you weren't in fully chunk loaded?

ETA (still trawling thread) - This sounds like it might be similar to your issue:
Milaha, on 28 March 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:
A couple of bugs have cropped up since I updated to g.

First, I am experiencing the same problem with my ME drive. It happened when I removed a disk to check it in a ME chest. It is not simply graphical, but rather when I put the disk in the items become inaccessible and when I remove the disk they become accesible again (though the actual disk now in my inventory does not update as changes happen). I can actually then put the disk into a ME chest on the network to get double the items stored in it.

From there I tried to resolve the issue by removing the drive entirely and reinserting all my disks. This caused the problem to propogate to all of my disks though. Placing them into the drive does nothing, while removing them from the drive causes the items to become accessible and the graphic to change. Placing the disk back in the drive removes access and the graphic until I remove the disk again.

Second, the rate at which import/export busses operate seems to have been *greatly* reduced. I am not certain this is a bug, but since there was nothing in the change log I figured I would post it. Previously a bus would insert/extract roughly once per second, now it seems to be more like once every 3-4 seconds. This caused immediate problems with overflow for me.

Do you have any ME Interfaces in your system? If so, remove them. It fixed the problem for me. I also noticed that it only happens when the ME Interface is used to provide specific items or number of items to something. When using the ME Interface as a connection for logistics pipes however, nothing goes wrong.
ETA again - not sure why the spoilers don't work properly - sorry about that, maybe they don't like quotes nested inside!

Reactions: thatsIch

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
Don't take it personally! I used to work in tech support, and there was nearly always something that the user didn't tell us over the phone. When someone actually went to their desk often they had done something unconventional. You can't assume that someone has everything set up in the ideal manner from a forum post that says "something went wrong!". I'm definitely interested in this issue, if it's a bug I don't want my own ae to eat my items. If, however, it's as a result of the way you've set something up, I want to know that too, so I can ensure I don't do it too!

Around 85% of the time the errors are PEBKAC ;)

I do however don't trust any mod 100% until I have test it for at least 60 RL days, so I have been taking screenshots everyday of my 4 64k drives contents so I can detect any major discrepancies.

/manu

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Around 85% of the time the errors are PEBKAC ;)

Indeed, quite a few times I sent someone (or turned up myself) at a user's desk, only to find this was the case. Your testing idea is good. I'm a bit less OCD about my stuff, but I do still have all my diamonds, and if I did notice things went missing I'd probably resort to something similar to yourself to check what's going missing and when.

The issue above looks like it could be the one the OP was talking about, there is an updated fixed version if that is the case, otherwise the solution is to remove all interface blocks from the system temporarily until the pack is updated (for all I know the pack could be updated, I import to Multimc rather than using the launcher all the time :)).

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
You said you were dropping things into an ender pouch to move bases. Was the AE system properly and completely chunk loaded? Is the AE system split across chunk boundaries?

I don't think people want to always assume user error. But if AE was bug ridden, there would be more and more reports of this kind on the forums. The only item loss issue I have seen was not directly AE related, but as someone already mentioned, sending items to a DSU before the DSU recognizes it is storing those items will cause the items sent to it to disappear. Luckily I don't (yet) store diamonds in a DSU. :)

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
From trawling the ae MC forum thread, I found this:
I know you're not on a server, however if the issue with that not saving chunks could suggest that your issue comes from chunks not loading. You mentioned you were moving items from one base to another - was the base that you weren't in fully chunk loaded?

ETA (still trawling thread) - This sounds like it might be similar to your issue:
ETA again - not sure why the spoilers don't work properly - sorry about that, maybe they don't like quotes nested inside!

The second one you posted was actually me, and it only happened once I manually updated to the g version of the mod (after he tried to optimize some stuff). I am quite certain the bug was not present in the default FTB version. It also only happened when I was adding/removing disks while at the same time as having an interface set to keep items for export. Interfaces for crafting and the like caused no problems, and no problems if the disks were just sitting in the drives. It also had a very obvious graphical component where the drive would not have the appropriate light for the disk, so it was very obvious that it was not detecting the disk in the drive.

tl;dr The second link was me, that is not what is happening to OP.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
tl;dr The second link was me, that is not what is happening to OP.

Ah ok. In that case, I'm stumped, and I think possibly his/her best bet is to post in that thread (where the mod author is very good at replying) or in the IRC channel for the mod I guess.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok. In that case, I'm stumped, and I think possibly his/her best bet is to post in that thread (where the mod author is very good at replying) or in the IRC channel for the mod I guess.

In this case since it was an isolated incident without any known info as to the situation that might have caused it, on a version that is 3? updates old, I think the OP might just have to chalk it up to "that sucks, watch for it in the future".

Reactions: Skirty_007