What do you look for in a modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
  1. Balance between the cost/effort of various solutions offered by the different mods added.
  2. Cross-mod compatibility to allow me to craft/solve things with different combos of mods, instead of just running through lots of parallel and separate tech trees..
  3. Lots and lots of tools, materials and mechanics to support building huge and varied architecture.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Argh, I didn't want to add any new messages to my count, but I have to.

1,2,3 are perfect for me, especially 1.

@rhn for my own amusement I'm going to forum-game this a tiny bit by continuing your sequence.
4. Opportunities and incentives to use unusual mods or mod-mechanics

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
4. Opportunities and incentives to use unusual mods or mod-mechanics
I totally agree, as long as I am not forced into anything. I have seen it done nicely with making some solutions cheaper/more rewarding, but still offering other mods solutions for it if you did not want to go down that road(right at that point anyway).

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hmm I guess for me it would be stuff that I can sink a lot of time into, that isn't just a time sink or a grind. Like... if I can't get past a certain point for something and all I can do is JUST wait because that's bottlenecking, that's bad design for me. Likewise, if I have to do the same repetitive task over and over, and there's no prospect of, once I've done that a few times, having that tedium alleviated... again, that's bad design. And that can be as simple as having a later game autocrafting solution - because even normal crafting can become a pain when you have to do it over and over. If that autocrafting also allows using fluids where previously you had to use individual buckets and all the annoyance that involves? All the better.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I totally agree, as long as I am not forced into anything. I have seen it done nicely with making some solutions cheaper/more rewarding, but still offering other mods solutions for it if you did not want to go down that road(right at that point anyway).
Yep this is my preference as well, and why I didn't say "forces me to do blah blah blah". Rewards for unusual solutions are fun though :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
For me it is more a kitchen sink pack with extra decorative modes like C&B and Chisel. But, I also like some questing packs (Obscurity and Crash Landing have been my favorites in this area). I don't care for the "Expert" packs with only one line progression through mods I don't care for.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like a guided pack, but not necessarily a hardcore one. Give me a 'follow this path' sign instead of 'Thou must do this'. Automaton vs Age of Engineering. Not that there's anything wrong with Age of Engineering, but I prefer to be given a direction and left to sort it out than pulled down a predetermined path.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
What I like about the pack i’m playing is that while there are certain points you have to get to in order to do other things (like vortex crafting to make the botania portal, or a certain stage in ChromatiCraft for TC infusion), there’s so much to do that while you may be gated for that thing behind a certain mechanic, your whole progress is NOT gated as there are many other things you can do. Ultimately you need to progress through all the magical mods to get further in the pack overall, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing, as it works nicely to encourage you to really get into the mods instead of hitting a specific point for one thing and then stopping.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Follow @Pyure forum game...

5. If there are new mods, a quest book that actually teaches you the fundamentals of that new mod, and not just lightly skim over it never to be touched again.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Follow @Pyure forum game...

5. If there are new mods, a quest book that actually teaches you the fundamentals of that new mod, and not just lightly skim over it never to be touched again.
Totally agree. That last part is kind of important too. There were some packs (ATM I think) that tinkered with some "quirky" mods like Crossroads & Embers a little bit in the early game and then it felt like they abandoned the mod. Those quests should give you some decent insights into the capabilities of the mod.