April News

Feed the Beast

Jul 29, 2019
Minefaire Los Angeles

FTB will be at Minefaire Los Angeles April 14th and 15th. We'll be running a tournament with a custom built modded challenge map.

The map will also be released publicly after the convention.

FTB Continuum

We're making good progress on Continuum and, while we don't have a release date, we're getting closer every day. If you want to follow along, here's a list of content creators who stream or make videos on the server.

Newsletter News

Ever notice that these news posts are a bit short? We need your help! If you have a topic about FTB that you want to see in next months news post, or something interesting happened in the community that you think should be shared, let us know by filling out the following form.

Click here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I had an Idea. Maybe have some of the FTB one players send a few Screen Shoots of them playing for future packs that are going to be released like little mini teasers in the news Updates.

K

Kuktar

Any news is good news. All the streamers and YouTube streamers have different ways they attack this pack its nice to learn little tricks from them. for instance watch this video from kraken
he goes over a part of the efab i have not seen on any of the other 6 streams. its SOOOOO cool that you can configure the efab so many different ways to get better recipe making. We are lucky to have kraken.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I haven't watched any of the streams/videos yet, but I have seen people asking for modlists. Can't they deduce a reasonable idea of the modlist just from the vids?

Reactions: Kuktar
K

Kuktar

I haven't watched any of the streams/videos yet, but I have seen people asking for modlists. Can't they deduce a reasonable idea of the modlist just from the vids?

It's actually quite easy to deduce the mod list. I'm personally not going to release a list i made but there is a lesser known streamer that isn't listed on this news release. On his first attempt and video he had a crash hoping on ftb one. In the video you can see the FML (forge mod loader) list all the mods lol.

It really is irrelevant. It's still in alpha so alot can change. I am just praying that ender mods get put in. Ender tools, ender io ender tanks and ender storage. In a reply by ftb team a month ago, the mods only make it if they are not buggy. I hope the team's fix the bugs so they get added :)

K

Kuktar

@Feed the Beast

Some of the streamers have listed there play through of continuum as Beta. I know you can't force them all to be uniformed but it's confusing some people in the community.
Isn't it alpha?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I thought I saw someone mention recently in the March news thread that it was likely closer to a beta stage now, but as I cannot find or attribute a source to that post, I would say it was pure speculation.

From the early Krakaen videos, it was pretty clear that the pack at that time at least was definitely alpha.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Alpha and Beta in FTB packs refer to the version of the pack. Like 1.x or 2.x. If they are saying that they are testing in beta now it means the version went from 1. to 2. or something like that. I found the post way back from Jaded..rofl.

The Creeperhost guys (Luke) said it might be helpful to people to post the way we tend to do version numbers for modpacks.

First Number = Number of possible intended world resets or major mod removal/addition
  • 1 = first Beta release version
  • 2 = first stable version may require a world reset from full beta
  • 3+ = new major versions that may require a world reset (can't think of any packs we have used that on)
Second Number = Beta vs Stable
  • 0 = Public Beta - used generally while a pack is still undergoing major changes - This number means you have a higher chance of world destroying bugs/resets
  • 1 = Stable - nothing major is expected to change unless the first number changes
  • 2 = Stable - minor pack change - we may have removed a mod or shifted an ID, doesn't require a world restart but things may be odd
Third Number = Which update is it.

So DW20 1.0.23 = First beta release version , Public Beta, unstable and may change, 23rd update

Ag Skies 2.1.6 = First Stable version , 1 possible intended world reset (not counting bugs) , 6th update.

And yes on some occasions we skip a number. That usually means in testing the pack failed so hard we jumped a version.

Not sure how useful it is to y'all but Luke should be happy.

K

Kuktar

Alpha and Beta in FTB packs refer to the version of the pack. Like 1.x or 2.x. If they are saying that they are testing in beta now it means the version went from 1. to 2. or something like that. I found the post way back from Jaded..rofl.

The problem is nobody officially said what the pack version number is lol.

The last offical news was February and they said alphas going on FTBone for streamers to test.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The problem is nobody officially said what the pack version number is lol.

The last offical news was February and they said alphas going on FTBone for streamers to test.
It actually doesn't matter the version number they are on only that when they say they are on beta now that mean 1.x not some dev company beta access thing. It mean while they where doing the testing the version went from 0.x to 1.x. The testing status hasn't really changed other then updating the pack.

Last edited:
K

Kuktar

Maybe I didn't ask the right question. Let me try again.

So yesterday alone streamer A uploaded a video titled beta. Streamer B uploaded a video same day labeled alpha.

That's what is happening. If it moved from alpha to beta it would be nice to get clarification. As I stated on February 10th news said the alpha is loaded for testing on the ftb one server.

If anyone has any actionable intelligence on it moving to beta please share with us :). If not then that just means streamers title there streams incorrectly sometimes.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Maybe I didn't ask the right question. Let me try again.

So yesterday alone streamer A uploaded a video titled beta. Streamer B uploaded a video same day labeled alpha.

That's what is happening. If it moved from alpha to beta it would be nice to get clarification. As I stated on February 10th news said the alpha is loaded for testing on the ftb one server.

If anyone has any actionable intelligence on it moving to beta please share with us :). If not then that just means streamers title there streams incorrectly sometimes.
ok well some youtubers record 7-10 videos ahead and just upload them all. Then tags them to be released every day so 7 days of videos. If they are both streaming live I have no clue unless they are streaming on single player and using a earlier and more stable version. If you comment in their videos and ask they will more likely say why.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In my universe (Beta = feature-complete), that means the modlist is more or less locked in (insofar as a modlist is ever locked in for a pack)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Actually being in beta means it will be released soon more likely first part of may.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The difference between an "Open Beta" and a "Public Release" is that an open beta is a brief time period (weekend, week, fortnight, ???) where the software is available to a larger group before being shut down again while the issues found are corrected. The Public Release occurs when the developers are fairly certain that no more major issues will be found.