[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

C

Closet Gamer

So I was doing some mucking around in a creative test world last night trying to make forestry circuits work in AE2 autocrafting.

Most of it was working great. I had an ME Terminal block with the recipe loaded into it feeding a small buffer crate with the parts (calculator circuits etc). This was followed by an EnderIO conduit with a counting item filter giving the carpenter one set of circuits at a time. The EnderIO conduits then pull the finished circuit back into the buffer crate and the ME Terminal block pulls from the crate and completed the order... Supposedly.

I could not get the order to complete. The forestry circuits were not being pulled back in to the ME network and even manual insertion did not complete the order. After about 4 hours of head scratching I finally realised something. I had set the recipe pattern setup using spawned in forestry circuits! If you look at JEI the only forestry circuits you can spawn in are the wrong ones (tooltip reads "holds four electron tubes"). You have to craft one in the carpenter and use that one to create your AE2 pattern.

Hope this helps someone! :)

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I just rang into a bit of a problem...

I finally made the Atomic calculator... but no trophy was triggered :(

I've tried picking it up and throwing it etc... But no Age 8.

What do I do?

Apparently this is can be a rare bug, workaround is here:

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=ag...lang=en-GB&w=6kabphOS3V__fEPstcKMatQydqCnAWFK

You need to be an OP if you are on a server to issue this command I think.

But it worked for me! got my trophy!

-= Wuffle =- !

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Almost finished. All that's left to do is to experiment with RFTools screens in order to paint a name on this mobile space station.

Here's the last technical build I made: 32 perfectly (!) synchronized alloy furnaces. That took quite a bit of experimentation, but I got it done. Why built such a thing after the end? Well, there are no creative items in my technical builds except for water tanks and power generators - and I could do without the latter if I reactivated my draconic reactor. I'm just hesitant to do so as long as my power orb is full.
601_AlloyFurnaces.jpg

And here some panorama shots, one with, one without the meteorite shield. I really like how this turned out - symmetrical on the whole, but with enough features to break the symmetry up that it looks interesting and somewhat real. I find the texture bug on the bed and the Calculator trees hugely annoying. I wonder when the Soartex team will fix that. They've put out several new versions since I started to use the universal modded resourcepack but the bug still exists - odd for something as common as the standard bed.
Speaking of beds, the last non-technical build I added was the extra sphere with a bit of living space. You wouldn't believe the last item I programmed into my AE2 system. It was....
...a flower pot.
601_Panorama11.jpg

601_Panorama10.jpg

Edit: I'm actually finished, I think. I may do some small stuff here and there, but as of now there is nothing I really want to do atm. The final touch was to give my mobile space station a name:

601_Name2.jpg

I'll do a series of more detailed screenshots later, but for now I'm just glad I finished this.

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

Almost finished. All that's left to do is to experiment with RFTools screens in order to paint a name on this mobile space station.

Here's the last technical build I made: 32 perfectly (!) synchronized alloy furnaces. That took quite a bit of experimentation, but I got it done. Why built such a thing after the end? Well, there are no creative items in my technical builds except for water tanks and power generators - and I could do without the latter if I reactivated my draconic reactor. I'm just hesitant to do so as long as my power orb is full.
601_AlloyFurnaces.jpg

And here some panorama shots, one with, one without the meteorite shield. I really like how this turned out - symmetrical on the whole, but with enough features to break the symmetry up that it looks interesting and somewhat real. I find the texture bug on the bed and the Calculator trees hugely annoying. I wonder when the Soartex team will fix that. They've put out several new versions since I started to use the universal modded resourcepack but the bug still exists - odd for something as common as the standard bed.
Speaking of beds, the last non-technical build I added was the extra sphere with a bit of living space. You wouldn't believe the last item I programmed into my AE2 system. It was....
...a flower pot.
601_Panorama11.jpg

601_Panorama10.jpg

Edit: I'm actually finished, I think. I may do some small stuff here and there, but as of now there is nothing I really want to do atm. The final touch was to give my mobile space station a name:

601_Name2.jpg

I'll do a series of more detailed screenshots later, but for now I'm just glad I finished this.
Amazing work buddy, you should be proud :)

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome!!

Love the background look with the planet in the background :)

I've decided that I would get stuck into the Calculator mod, and use mechanism simple bins to store all possible output...

That's a lot of bins, but got it done I think :)

I've seen a few video's on automation for this mod but I am pretty happy with my setup.

Having entered age '8', the atomic age, I'm following the guide and completing my work through of the calculator mod, I'm fairly certain I'm going to need some of these things eventually. I learned a lot about the mod's machines and will post what I learned here.

This mod can be easily fully automated and can produce the circuits and other items at breathtaking speed.

Firstly, I created a precision chamber and a processing chamber, which are upgrades made with the help of the atomic calculator, I kept my analysing chamber from before, it doesn't have an upgraded version. My source material is a cobblestone generator.

To properly automate these machines, you must remember that you cannot set the output or input sides from within their UI, you need to do the following things in order to automate these machines:

1. Use the wrench by right-clicking on the side you wish to change, RED = OUTPUT, GREEN = INPUT.

In my setup, I am going from right to left, as can be seen in the screenshot below.
lS1TGHE.png

The Precision chamber is set to output to the Processing chamber to it's right. The same goes with the Processing Chamber, ultimately everything ends up in the Analysing Chamber.

2. You MUST craft a 'Transfer Upgrade' for both your Precision Chamber and your Processing chamber, you equip each machine by right-clicking on it with the 'Transfer Upgrade' item you crafted. This will allow the machines to actually transfer to each other, this makes life a lot easier.

3. The Analysingchamber sits at the end of the chain.

4. I am using ender IO and I created a dedicated channel on the Item Conduit bus 'Yellow' for this mod.

The Processing Chamber produces a ByProduct called 'Stone Dust', which I sent to a storage drawer via my 'Black' channel, black being my item conduit channel for 'Storage'. This is done with an EnderIO conduit with an item filter underneath the Processing Chamber, Stone Dust is not a valid input for the Analysing Chamber, so it will always end up going out via the EnderIO conduit. One nice thing about this mod is that it's machines have their own built in filters, so they know what things they can receive as input, this becomes key to simple automation.

5. I set up a LOT of mechanism Basic Bins around the place, and set them all to receive input on the Yellow item conduit channel, initially they were NOT connected to the main storage bus and were isolated to begin with.

vLCP9aR.png

There are actually more bins on opposite wall...

6. The Analysing Chamber is set to export to the Yellow Item bus via EnderIO item conduit, note that the right side of the Analysing Chamber is set to RED, for export.

RUvH23Q.png

7.I have all output from the analysing chamber go into a medium on the yellow channel crate to begin with to capture as many things as possible, this is were everything from the Analysing Chamber goes. The crate also EXPORTS to the Yellow Channel (see below). The crate essentially acts as a 'buffer' ensuring that something exported to the Yellow channel always has a place to go, or ends up stuck in the crate.

8. Heading back over to the Processing Chamber (which is exporting Stone Dust via an ender IO conduit), is also IMPORTING via the Yellow channel, this is because, some of the output from the Analysing Chamber consists of either dirty or damaged circuits, both of which can be processed by the Processing Chamber.

5JhyIUO.png

9. The Analysis chamber takes raw circuits and 'Analyses' them, it also generates random items as a by product (Including RF, which is odd, but it has an RF capacity, even though it uses no RF itself). This is where this machine is quite clever, the circuit being analysed remains in it's own slot, but.. the machine will allow this to be exported, which is nice, along with whatever it randomly generated. I simply exported everything into my Yellow channel and off to the crate it goes.

10. The crate itself, off in my storage area, also exports to the Yellow channel, because the Processing Chamber knows what items it can accept, this means that all dirty or damaged circuits created as secondary products by the Analysing Chamber automatically get Analysed themselves, this is important, as because when this set-up is sped up with upgrades, a very large number of dirty/damaged circuits is created by the Analysis Chamber as secondary output and this method ensure that they always get processed.

11. The final step requires 16 Iridium... to fully boost the Precision Chamber and the Processing Chamber, you need 16 Speed Upgrades and 16 Energy Upgrades in each machine (they will only take 16 of each). NOTE: for each speed Upgrade installed, you MUST install an Energy upgrade to go with it, if there are more SPEED upgrades than ENERGY upgrades in either machine, they will simply stop working. It's a lot of Iridium, but I am glad I made the investment.

Now, the storage bins need to be primed, so I Set up a Emerald Cobble Generator connected to the Precision Chamber via a speed upgraded Item conduit and let it run until the crate is nearly full.

Then, simply one example of each of the things in the crate and load them into the storage bins, then connect ONLY the Primed Bins to the Item Conduit bus, because the crate is exporting on the Yellow Channel, it will see the Bin's available and route matching items into these bins. Check the crate, note any remaining items, repeat the process until all of your Basic Bins are primed and connected.

This is fiddly but be patient, because if you connect all of the Bins at once, you may end up the same item type being loaded onto many Bins, you don't want this.

After a fair few iterations of this, I've captured all but a very small number of rare bits and pieces. I don't know what the limit is on Basic Bins, but after an hour of running I checked on my storage crate to see what bits hadn't been sorted.

op6OkKg.png

Not too bad, only a few bits and pieces, which I will find bins for.

Overall, I hope this is useful to someone, somewhere who may come across this looking to automate Calculator, it's not the most efficient or even best setup, but it works for me and is very simple, thanks to the power of EnderIO conduits.

eLq7QXj.png

HVvNFrA.png

-= Wuffle =- !

Last edited:
Reactions: Ieldra

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I...have decided to change a few things before I really end the pack. The reason: my thermal evaporation plants stopped working after a world load because they were built across chunk boundaries, so I had to relocate them. Unforunately, that meant putting them outside the dome, since inside there wasn't enough vertical space. So, while I was at it, I made them maximum size, and.....decided I'll make a Mekanism fusion reactor after all. After that, I'll switch Mekanism over to RF since it would be unsatisfactory to generate all that power without being able to use it except in a few select machines I rarely need. At this point, I don't think this could be construed as cheating. I'll have built and run most Mekanism machines that exist on the rules of the pack.

Two more screenshots:

1. My TEPs relocated. Three maximum-size-ones should be enough for continuous operation of a fusion reactor. The controllers and valves are accessible from within the sphere.
601_TEPs.jpg
2. I released some ocelots into my artificial ecology. I like these, and I made a spawner for them to be able to get more peace essence.This screenshot was made before I relocated the TEPs.
601_Ocelots.jpg

Finally, I thought of upgrading my power orb to tier 8. However, consider this: the holding capacity of a tier 8 orb is 2^63-1 (the maximum of a 64-bit signed integer), the capacity of a tier 7 orb is 2^31-1 (the maximum of a 32-bit signed integer). So, if I generated enough power to fill a tier 7 orb in one second, I would still require 2^32 seconds to fill a tier 8 orb. That's 136 years... meaning *if* I actually made something that generated 2.15 GRF/t, which is practically impossible in the first place, and left my game constantly running, I'd have filled 1% of a tier 8 orb in about 15 months. I decided not to bother.

Last edited:

bay32

Jul 29, 2019
Hello im having issues auto crafting the slime blocks that generate 360 RFT with the rft tools crafter, it refuses to do the steps i want when supplied with resources it keeps outputting the first step ingredients clogging it up and making it go no where and i have 0 idea whats causing this damn crafter to not do as its told when its a simple 3 step craft. here are pictures of what im asking it to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    433 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    427.5 KB · Views: 98

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hello im having issues auto crafting the slime blocks that generate 360 RFT with the rft tools crafter, it refuses to do the steps i want when supplied with resources it keeps outputting the first step ingredients clogging it up and making it go no where and i have 0 idea whats causing this damn crafter to not do as its told when its a simple 3 step craft. here are pictures of what im asking it to do.
You are routing your slimeballs to the output. Change the "Ext" to "Int" for the slimeball crafting recipe in order to send them to the internal storage to make them available for further crafting. Also, reserve space for both slimeballs and the original congealed slime blocks in the internal storage by placing some there and then hitting "R" to make the crafter remember the setting. That way the internal storage won't be filled up with congealed blocks and leave no space for the slimeballs, or vice versa.

Last edited:

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I got a big pile of Nether Stars from running Calculator machines for 24 hours plus a whole load of things, I've turned it off as many of the bins are at 4096 items, I hope that will be enough.

I have piled up a hundred plutonium, and now also have several stacks of Iridium, and a whole load of all these things from calculator, including hundreds of GRENADES!!! :)

So, What do you guys think I should do now?

From what I can see.. it looks like we're going to need to build an Extreme reactor, then implement NeoTech for ore processing.

What do you think?

I'm suspecting I will need to build a whole new Annexe of my base, I've decided to plant trees in my big building.

Planted some Calculator trees in my big building, I like to fill my buildings with trees for some weird reason. I'll replace the bases with something nicer.

iYXIWXo.png

jal5E04.png

For some reason, a building lit up at night with lit up trees is cool

Would love some feedback, guidance... happy to dig into Extreme reactors, or should I build up to Tier3 Environmental Tech?
Done nothing with bees yet, I'm sure i'm going to have to and do something with bees...

-= Wuffle =- !

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Well, I got a big pile of Nether Stars from running Calculator machines for 24 hours plus a whole load of things, I've turned it off as many of the bins are at 4096 items, I hope that will be enough.

I have piled up a hundred plutonium, and now also have several stacks of Iridium, and a whole load of all these things from calculator, including hundreds of GRENADES!!! :)

From what I can see.. it looks like we're going to need to build an Extreme reactor, then implement NeoTech for ore processing.

What do you think?

I'm suspecting I will need to build a whole new Annexe of my base, I've decided to plant trees in my big building.

Planted some Calculator trees in my big building, I like to fill my buildings with trees for some weird reason. I'll replace the bases with something nicer.

iYXIWXo.png

jal5E04.png

Would love some feedback, guidance... happy to dig into Extreme reactors, or should I build up to Tier3 Environmental Tech?
Done nothing with bees yet, I'm sure i'm going to have to and do something with bees...

-= Wuffle =- !
Tier 3 ET stuff would certainly not harm; I like the bases of your trees by the way! :) Classy with the granite!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

Let me make a prediction: it is possible that you have enough Nether Stars, but you will most probably not have enough flawless diamonds - you get them from the diamond tree in very big quantities if you use an...hmm...I think the thing was called algorithmic assimilator, but one underestimates the number you will need.

Also, I sent the grenades into XU's bottomless trashcan.

What do you think?

You will definitely have to get into bees soon-ish. If you don't want to cheat, you should've started way earlier in the game since bee production takes forever. I recommend that you do cheat, though - IMO bee breeding is not at all enjoyable and it takes forever and constant attention. It is possible to breed your way to Imperial/Industrious in about two real-time days if you do nothing else, but after that most likly you'll know what you never want to do again. As for production, I had 12 apiaries, 6 with Imperial and 6 with Industrious bees, running for all the time between age 5 and age 13 and they didn't make half of what I needed for the creative vending upgrade. However, if you don't mind cheating by adding Gendustry to the pack, you still have time. Basically, the difference between doing things in plain Forestry and doing things with Gendustry is that you need weeks with the former and hours with the latter, and you get *much* less RNG frustration.

The next big step, as I see it, is to create an AE2 storage and autocrafting system, and integrate most of your machines into it so that you can order complex things from the ME crafting terminal. If you aren't familiar with AE2, just ask. I consider myself something of an expert.

As for power, it depends on what you think you need. Since you have an abundance of Nether Stars, you should be able to make tier 4 ET structures now. I don't think it's necessary as yet, though. A tier 3 solar, however, would be nice to have at this point. Also, the nanobot beacon is, IMO, the best way to give your player avatar some extras like....flight, or saturation, or health regen. The big advantage over other methods is that no equipment is required. All you need to do is make your flight/saturation/regen modifier and keep the beacon chunkloaded and powered, and you'll have the according extras without additional equipment and across all dimensions. The thing has not failed me yet.

Oh, and BTW: Neotech machines are ultra-fast if you fully upgrade them - even faster than fully upgraded elite factories from Mekanism, and that's saying something. They're also very easy to automate and integrate with AE2 if you give them a network upgrade. Their processing recipes are oddly selective though. I'd have certainly liked it if I had been able to process the off-world oress with them.

Last edited:

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Updated the platforms :)

vansna7.png

I really like how Alabaster looks in this texture pack, my next Tier of base is going to have lots of white buildings with columns, colonnades, gardens and so forth, this base is largely based on I.E with a smattering of IC2 and I think i'll keep it that way, must like my first base was an old fashioned castle followed by an IC2 like building.

I'll find a spot a few thousand blocks away and set up a destination pad there for travel.

Am in Age 9 now, yay! :)

Thanks again Ieldra for a very informative post, your advice on my journey is invaluable and extremely appreciated :)

-= Wuffle =- !

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Just in case it interests anyone, here are two automation-related tidbits I don't think many people are aware of:

(1) If you want to automate the Atomic Reconstructor from Actually additions, use a wooden pressure plate (that part is well known), and place the Precision Dropper directly above the block with the pressure plate, and set its Redstone mode to Deactivation. That way, the pressure plate generates a pulse for the Reconstructor (set it to Pulse) and a deactivation signal for the dropper as long as something's on the plate with no need for additional wiring, and no more stuff gets dropped until the previous processed item is snatched away (presumably by a ranged collector or something).

(2) AE2: If you use the P2P system to transport ME channels across a backbone network, consider that a P2P connection can have only one input, but several outputs. Thus, channels transported from the same P2P input need not be close to each other at their outputs. This way, your channel utilization does not depend so much on where certain machine groups are localized. It can, however, make it a little more difficult to locate all the outputs again if you happen to break or misconfigure the input.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Just in case it interests anyone, here are two automation-related tidbits I don't think many people are aware of:

(1) If you want to automate the Atomic Reconstructor from Actually additions, use a wooden pressure plate (that part is well known), and place the Precision Dropper directly above the block with the pressure plate, and set its Redstone mode to Deactivation. That way, the pressure plate generates a pulse for the Reconstructor (set it to Pulse) and a deactivation signal for the dropper as long as something's on the plate with no need for additional wiring, and no more stuff gets dropped until the previous processed item is snatched away (presumably by a ranged collector or something).

(2) AE2: If you use the P2P system to transport ME channels across a backbone network, consider that a P2P connection can have only one input, but several outputs. Thus, channels transported from the same P2P input need not be close to each other at their outputs. This way, your channel utilization does not depend so much on where certain machine groups are localized. It can, however, make it a little more difficult to locate all the outputs again if you happen to break or misconfigure the input.
Here's a question: can you rename P2P tunnels in the same way you can rename Interfaces? I realise it doesn't have the same benefit in terms of being able to see the renamed item in a GUI (though maybe in the Network monitor tool thing?) but it might make it easier to remember which is which?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Here's a question: can you rename P2P tunnels in the same way you can rename Interfaces? I realise it doesn't have the same benefit in terms of being able to see the renamed item in a GUI (though maybe in the Network monitor tool thing?) but it might make it easier to remember which is which?
Is there a special way to rename interfaces? I haven't tested it on either, but with an inscriber name press and and an inscriber, you should be able to rename pretty much anything. I've mainly used that to name formatted storage cells.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Is there a special way to rename interfaces? I haven't tested it on either, but with an inscriber name press and and an inscriber, you should be able to rename pretty much anything. I've mainly used that to name formatted storage cells.
Dang it I always forget about the name press! I was just thinking with an anvil and XP, because that's how I've always seen it done in the past. But yes - in that case, might naming your P2Ps be a good way of making sure you reconnect them up correctly if they get broken?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Dang it I always forget about the name press! I was just thinking with an anvil and XP, because that's how I've always seen it done in the past. But yes - in that case, might naming your P2Ps be a good way of making sure you reconnect them up correctly if they get broken?
Oh, identifying them is never a problem - I use colored cables everywhere, and if I look at a P2P connector, I know it's from the yellow segment or the purple segment - the color of the dense cable at the input end. And if I have separate storage and crafting networks - which I do in games where I don't use drawers - I have a black and a white backbone network so I always know the input of any output connection I happen to look at.
No, the problem is remembering where I placed the output connections, because at thatend my P2P connections are almost always hidden in floors and ceilings.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
And.....the Mekanism fusion reactor. I didn't make a water-cooled one since I have no idea about the space requirements, and this looks quite nice and serves nicely as a main energy source for my base. As you can see, I dismantled the DE reactor. This one is more complicated to set up and fuel production is also more complicated, but it generates more power and is significantly safer.

Impressions:

Tritium production. Liquid lithium is made in the TEP from brine made in the other TEPS and routed to the condensentrators in the second screenshot by Quantum Entangloporter, then turned into lithium gas and sent back to the solar neutron activators through the same porter. Tritium from the activators is sent through another porter to the reactor.
601_Tritium1.jpg

601_Tritium2.jpg

Deuterium production. 10 pumps, 4 electrolytic separators. Fortunately, the separators accept heavy water from the bottom, or this would have been much more awkward.
601_Deuterium.jpg

The reactor room. The lasers around the core are only for ignition and take up a lot of space. The central laser amplifier collects all the power until there's enough to ignite the initial D-T fuel, after which the reactor will run on tritium and deuterium and won't need more d-t-fuel injection. The reactor is controlled by an RFTools screen with button modules.
601_ReactorRoom.jpg

601_ReactorControls.jpg

Annd...action. First the lasers, then a long waiting time until the amplifier has collected the 4 GJ or so required for ignition. Then the lasers can be switched off and the reactor activated. It generates 1 MJ/t at an injection rate of 4. I could push this up but I don't know how much. It depends on my fuel production. 1 MJ/t equals 400kRF/t - and I did activate RF/J conversion since otherwise there would no point in building this.
601_ReactorLasers.jpg

601_FusionPower.jpg

My base is now completely independent once more from the creative power I intermittently used for the last two achievements, except for the quantum generators I use to power the molecular transformer.

Last edited:

bay32

Jul 29, 2019

This still isnt' helping as the int and ext are for the machine and its not extracting and putting it in a storage drawer it doesnt go to the out slot it stays in and its not allowing me to have the slime stay in and the blocks go out :/ dont know why this is doing this ._.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
This still isnt' helping as the int and ext are for the machine and its not extracting and putting it in a storage drawer it doesnt go to the out slot it stays in and its not allowing me to have the slime stay in and the blocks go out :/ dont know why this is doing this ._.
The autocrafter does not auto-output. You need to use conduits to draw the slime blocks out. In the machine GUI, the lower box with four slots is the output box. Everything in there can be drawn out with conduits, stuff that's elsewhere can't. If the output box is full of stuff you don't draw out, crafting won't continue. Perhaps you should watch some mod spotlights on RFTools.