Age of Engineering Series!

C

Closet Gamer

I've had the odd prank done to me, which was great fun - two that come to mind are:

When we were playing Agrarian skies together, it was coming up to Christmas, and I'd built a massive Christmas Tree on my platform, with different coloured lamps, wool as tinsel, the works. Some presents appeared under it, made with wool (and looking awesome :D) and when I cracked open one of them, I was met with a literal tide of chickens streaming out. I don't know how they'd got that many chickens into it, and I don't want to know. I was chasing those little cluckers around my base for about half an hour

On the Regrowth server, I told my friends that I was going AFK for a minute, and I came back to darkness. Turns out they'd surrounded me with diamond blocks, which I was allowed to keep But when one of them accidentally killed my cow with an AcademyCraft passive lightning ability, he was very apologetic and replaced it as soon as he could with two more named ones. I think he called them "Tesla" and "Faraday"...

That is hilarious, pranks like that are cool. A friend once made a 64ish block tall zombie on my roof. My game was lagging and I couldn't figure out why until I broke one of its feet and he had spawned loads of zombies inside! The jerk! Haha like a Trojan zombie
Sorry for the double post:

Easy, geezer - I've just had an idea for something you could work on! Naturally your plans for a Molecular Transformer are good, and you should definitely do that; likewise getting hold of speed and energy upgrades for your calculator stuff is a good plan. But, that's not what I was thinking.

I reckon you should consider setting up your depleted fuel rod reprocessing, and obtaining plutonium (ideally in a way that means you don't have to touch it!). Looking into Advanced Generators, the recipes have been tweaked so you'll need RTG fuel, and a fair bit of it, but I reckon at least looking at precursors will serve you well. Manyullyn turbine blades are one of the best you can get, and a good use for your cobalt and ardite. I'm not sure if any parts of the AG machines are gated behind something in the next age or not, but if not I'd really look at getting started on the multiblock for that - it's gonna be a bloody useful EU source for... basically the forseeable future!

You'll need fuel for it; you could go Forestry biofuel, which isn't too bad to set up but you'll need to go ham on your tree farm (EnderIO farming station may be your friend there); or empowered canola (again, not a terrible thing to set up). I don't know if IE biodiesel works, but if it does that could be a great one to go into too - you'll possibly need extra squeezers, fermenters and refineries, but it could be worth the investment.

Cheers!
Yes! You make a good point, in fact I have just sorted the plutonium for my next episode coming out today at 5pm (that's my new regular upload time).

I was watching a spotlight on advanced generators, they look really cool and I'll get into those - as you say they are heavily upgradable. As for the fuel source I'll have to do some testing but I think Ethanol is good along with biodiesel, so I may be able to tap into my existing infrastructure with a few upgrades to boost production.

------------------------
*Never be afraid to ask when you do not understand*
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ethanol, Biodiesel and the various forms of Canola all work just fine. I asked the author about the first two and Dire used the last in his AoE series.

On top of that, it can also take in charcoal and create Syngas so it's got it's own built in fuel if you have nothing else. The only bit that might be tech locked again is the Fuel/Air Mixer but I don't know if the recipe changed.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That is hilarious, pranks like that are cool. A friend once made a 64ish block tall zombie on my roof. My game was lagging and I couldn't figure out why until I broke one of its feet and he had spawned loads of zombies inside! The jerk! Haha like a Trojan zombieYes! You make a good point, in fact I have just sorted the plutonium for my next episode coming out today at 5pm (that's my new regular upload time).

I was watching a spotlight on advanced generators, they look really cool and I'll get into those - as you say they are heavily upgradable. As for the fuel source I'll have to do some testing but I think Ethanol is good along with biodiesel, so I may be able to tap into my existing infrastructure with a few upgrades to boost production.

------------------------
------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD
Sounds like an awesome plan :D looking forward to it!

C

Closet Gamer

Ethanol, Biodiesel and the various forms of Canola all work just fine. I asked the author about the first two and Dire used the last in his AoE series.

On top of that, it can also take in charcoal and create Syngas so it's got it's own built in fuel if you have nothing else. The only bit that might be tech locked again is the Fuel/Air Mixer but I don't know if the recipe changed.
Cheers for the clarification dude, on point as always :)

------------------------
------------------------

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Nine times out of ten I know what I'm doing. It's that pesky tenth time that's the problem. :D

On top of that, it'll also take straight up Steam, if you're producing an excess from IC2 reactors. I ran my base off of an Advanced Reactor running off a Railcraft Boiler back in Modular Mayhem.

Reactions: Closet Gamer
C

Closet Gamer

Nine times out of ten I know what I'm doing. It's that pesky tenth time that's the problem. :D

On top of that, it'll also take straight up Steam, if you're producing an excess from IC2 reactors. I ran my base off of an Advanced Reactor running off a Railcraft Boiler back in Modular Mayhem.
That's a good idea, I could have excess steam when producing poho lava in my heat exchanger for basalt. I think I know what I am doing 1 times out of 10... I cut out 8 of them and leave 1 in for the lulz :D

------------------------
------------------------

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Most of the time that 10 invokes a rage quit, because it's something so precariously stupid I should absolutely have known better. Like trying to balance out a Reactorcraft reactor in the overworld instead of a creative test world. One minor miscalculation and it's time to start a new base.

C

Closet Gamer

Most of the time that 10 invokes a rage quit, because it's something so precariously stupid I should absolutely have known better. Like trying to balance out a Reactorcraft reactor in the overworld instead of a creative test world. One minor miscalculation and it's time to start a new base.
Easily done! Usually the sign of too many late nights or not enough caffeine ;)

------------------------
------------------------

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming AoE hasn't changed this, the normal way is:

Create a staging chest, and attach a ME interface to it. In the ME interface slot crafting patterns for Logic, Calculation and Engineering circuits where each recipe consists of a silicon, a redstone dust and the appropriate diamond/gold ingot/certus quartz.
On the other side of the staging chest, create a AE network that is isolated from the main network. Or use EIO conduits. There are going to be 5 Inscribers on this network. At any rate, extract everything from the chest and...hook up 4 of the presses with filtered exporter to the bottom to insert the silicon, Dimond, gold or cereus, and pair each one with the appropriate press plate. Import busses or EIO conduit grab the output from these inscribers.
The last inscriber has an export bus/EIO item conduit on top that inserts the 3 types of printed circuit, another export bus/EIO conduit exporting redstone dust into the center, and the bottom has an export bus inserting the printed silicon.

Output from this press is inserted back into the interface that connected the main network to the input chest.

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

Create 4 inscribers, and a small AE network, or use EIO conduit or whatever, with filtered insertion to the top, center and bottom of each inscriber, which all extracts from a chest. A ME Interface attaches to the chest, with recipes for all 3 inscribed circuits, which consist of enough materials to press the silicon base, and the actual parts.

So, your big network talks to the chest. The small network, or AE sub system, inserts into each of the inscibers. Each inscriber just has the correct press socketed at all times, and the output is ejected back into the main network.
I see, so the only part that the ME network actually talks to is the chest, everything else is done separately either via enderIO or by a separate network...

I suppose you could automate the empowerer in a similar fashion: supply a chest with the right parts>>EnderIO sends parts to empowerer>wait a while> empowered part returned to the chest>back into the network

------------------------
------------------------

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
You could actually do it on your main network. But its always felt neater to partition it off onto its own thing and you save a couple of channels, and you get to make the exact amount of printed silicon.

This is also how to setup a lot of forestry crafting so the machines don't overflow on large orders.

C

Closet Gamer

You could actually do it on your main network. But its always felt neater to partition it off onto its own thing and you save a couple of channels, and you get to make the exact amount of printed silicon.

This is also how to setup a lot of forestry crafting so the machines don't overflow on large orders.
Yes I can see the potential for problems. I imagine telling the system to craft several forestry circuits and (because of the stacking) the inventories of the carpenters get full up leaving no room for the other components which results in the system falling over.

I imagine the same would be true for the empowerer... Imagine sending a request to create 10 palis and 10 restonia. Components for both would get sent to the chest immediately but the EnderIO conduits wouldn't know which ones to use first and you might end up with palis ingredients in a restonia craft resulting in the system hanging. One way around this could be to use a separate empowerer for each recipe... Or maybe there is a better way?

------------------------
------------------------

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
GreenZombie has given a good description of what you can do there! :) Having a base chest (or crate, for extra space) is a good way to make sure you've got space for large crafts - especially, as you mentioned, with the non-stacking calculator circuits.
I went a similar route with Regrowth, but because Inscribers weren't too expensive I went with 7 - 3 for each of the printed circuits, 1 for silicon and 3 for each of the processors. I went that way because in place of redstone you needed a different chipset for each processor - you should be fine with just the one to make processors (for a total of 5).
You don't need a separate network for the inscribers really, just enderIO conduits with filters on the outputs will do the job grand. You can either have the printed silicon going straight back into your interface and have that set up as its own crafting recipe in the interface (1 silicon = 1 printed silicon) or you have it going back into the chest to be pulled out into the processor inscriber.

Either way, you should be able to do it all with a single interface and channel. Likewise, you could have the printed circuits having their own recipe (1 forestry blue circuit = 1 printed engineering circuit), or for example, have the recipe be: 1 blue forestry circuit board, 1 redstone and 1 silicon = 1 Engineering Processor.

When the craft is initiated, those three items get pushed into the chest. The circuit board gets pulled out, turned into a Printed Engineering Circuit and put back in the chest; the redstone gets pulled into the inscriber that makes the processor; and the silicon gets pulled out, turned into a Printed Silicon and put back in the chest. The printed circuit and printed silicon are pulled out of the chest again and into the processor inscriber as soon as they're crafted, and boom! One Engineering Processor. That just gets sent into the interface to finish the craft.

Both routes would work. As for the forestry circuits, that gets a bit more complex; if you're pretty flush for channels, I'd be inclined to go a different route, and have an interface for EACH carpenter; if you set those to blocking mode, then the next ingredients won't be pushed in until the inventory is empty (i.e. the previous craft is done), which can help prevent overfilling. While you could think of a clever way to do it with just one interface, I'd be sorely tempted to bite the bullet and have dedicated ones, and just have the products being pulled out and inserted into one of them.

The empowerer is a tricky one; if you just want to use one empowerer, you may need to take a similar route - have the items being inserted into a chest and pulled out by EnderIO conduits, and set the interface to blocking mode. Whether it will play nice and insert sets of ingredients correctly, waiting in turn, you'd have to test to find out. A series of dedicated Empowerers is an alternative, and one I've strongly considered - while its a bit of a resource and energy sink, it will allow parallel crafting of different items at the same time, and shouldn't present the issue of the wrong ingredients being inserted. Later on you will be able to do empowerment with draconic evolution crafting, which is faster, but that's some way away, so (as with all of these) you'll need to weigh up convenience, complexity and cost of resources.

C

Closet Gamer

GreenZombie has given a good description of what you can do there! :) Having a base chest (or crate, for extra space) is a good way to make sure you've got space for large crafts - especially, as you mentioned, with the non-stacking calculator circuits.
I went a similar route with Regrowth, but because Inscribers weren't too expensive I went with 7 - 3 for each of the printed circuits, 1 for silicon and 3 for each of the processors. I went that way because in place of redstone you needed a different chipset for each processor - you should be fine with just the one to make processors (for a total of 5).
You don't need a separate network for the inscribers really, just enderIO conduits with filters on the outputs will do the job grand. You can either have the printed silicon going straight back into your interface and have that set up as its own crafting recipe in the interface (1 silicon = 1 printed silicon) or you have it going back into the chest to be pulled out into the processor inscriber.

Either way, you should be able to do it all with a single interface and channel. Likewise, you could have the printed circuits having their own recipe (1 forestry blue circuit = 1 printed engineering circuit), or for example, have the recipe be: 1 blue forestry circuit board, 1 redstone and 1 silicon = 1 Engineering Processor.

When the craft is initiated, those three items get pushed into the chest. The circuit board gets pulled out, turned into a Printed Engineering Circuit and put back in the chest; the redstone gets pulled into the inscriber that makes the processor; and the silicon gets pulled out, turned into a Printed Silicon and put back in the chest. The printed circuit and printed silicon are pulled out of the chest again and into the processor inscriber as soon as they're crafted, and boom! One Engineering Processor. That just gets sent into the interface to finish the craft.

Both routes would work. As for the forestry circuits, that gets a bit more complex; if you're pretty flush for channels, I'd be inclined to go a different route, and have an interface for EACH carpenter; if you set those to blocking mode, then the next ingredients won't be pushed in until the inventory is empty (i.e. the previous craft is done), which can help prevent overfilling. While you could think of a clever way to do it with just one interface, I'd be sorely tempted to bite the bullet and have dedicated ones, and just have the products being pulled out and inserted into one of them.

The empowerer is a tricky one; if you just want to use one empowerer, you may need to take a similar route - have the items being inserted into a chest and pulled out by EnderIO conduits, and set the interface to blocking mode. Whether it will play nice and insert sets of ingredients correctly, waiting in turn, you'd have to test to find out. A series of dedicated Empowerers is an alternative, and one I've strongly considered - while its a bit of a resource and energy sink, it will allow parallel crafting of different items at the same time, and shouldn't present the issue of the wrong ingredients being inserted. Later on you will be able to do empowerment with draconic evolution crafting, which is faster, but that's some way away, so (as with all of these) you'll need to weigh up convenience, complexity and cost of resources.
Wow, cheers for the write up dudes, that's pretty awesome.

So, here is my thinking. The next episode (ep39, today) will cover the final AE2 infrastructure (boring, I know ;) ). I'm then going to go on to AE2 autocrafting. For ep40 I was thinking of covering simple things like iron blocks into plates, copper ingots into cables into insulated cables into electronic circuits - fairly basic stuff.

For episode 41 I'm thinking I should cover some slightly more complex autocrafting:-

- atomic reconstructed stuff
- empowered stuff
- inscribed circuits
- carpenter circuits
- what else should I include? I'm up for a challenge :)

------------------------
------------------------

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I would automate the crafting of EnderIO conduits first to be used in all of the other projects. Your gonna have to do it at some point, you need several thousand of the alloys near the end of the pack.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Wow, cheers for the write up dudes, that's pretty awesome.

So, here is my thinking. The next episode (ep39, today) will cover the final AE2 infrastructure (boring, I know ;) ). I'm then going to go on to AE2 autocrafting. For ep40 I was thinking of covering simple things like iron blocks into plates, copper ingots into cables into insulated cables into electronic circuits - fairly basic stuff.

For episode 41 I'm thinking I should cover some slightly more complex autocrafting:-

- atomic reconstructed stuff
- empowered stuff
- inscribed circuits
- carpenter circuits
- what else should I include? I'm up for a challenge :)
Nah, infrastructure isn't boring! Its all part of the game. With regards to autocrafting, obviously you'll need some Molecular Assemblers and Interfaces, I'd dedicate a dense cable off one side of your controller just for that. In terms of early recipes, you'll want your patterns automated, as well as things like cables and such. If you haven't already done it, I'd make some Calculation Processors as soon as possible - you need those for acceleration cards, and boy do those make the inscribers quicker ;) and the Molecular Assemblers too!

You should be able to automate crystals (fluix, and pure fluix, pure certus and pure nether quartz) without much bother at all - you might as well use one water source block with 5 crystal growth accelerators around it for all of those. The Actually Additions ranged collector is your friend - you can use AA filters to set up a whitelist so only the fully grown crystals are picked up - then just have that going back to the interface. The AA Automatic precision dropper (set to deactivation mode rather than pulse) will work wonders for dropping the items in.

Nuke makes a good point about the conduits - while the crafting of those is simple, the alloys used to make them are less so. Again, blocking mode should help to prevent alloy recipes getting screwed up, and you should be able to set the same side to push/pull, meaning you won't need to run conduits from the output back to the interface (double check that).

You haven't got any IE presses set up yet, have you? You'll probably need a couple of those at some point, but if you don't need them yet I wouldn't worry too much. It tends to be for things like gears and rods where they are either needed, or cheaper.

Re the Atomic Reconstructor, that's another one where the Ranged Collector and the Precision Dropper are super handy.