Solved FTB Beyond: server pings, is visible, but "server timeout"s

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running? Windows 10
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft? Dedicated server
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version) FTB Beyond 1.11.0
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack? No
  • What are your server specs? Not sure what info I need to provide here
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem
Last night, my server ran just fine. It even ran fine as the problem began. For whatever reason, when I or any of my friends attempt to log into the server, we're stuck on the loading screen for a bit, and then receive the message "Failed to connect to the server Timed out" I've re-downloaded the server files and inserted the world data back in to see if that helped, my ports are open according to canyouseeme, dinnerbone's server ping checker says it can find my server, I deleted and remade my rules in my firewall, my memory allocated to server is exactly as it was before, my speed test looks just fine, I restarted my router, and it doesn't appear to be outages with minecraft, since I was able to join a public server. The console doesn't display any kind of error, just "UUID of player ____ is (etc.)"

What am I missing here?

EDIT: There also hasn't been any update to FTB Beyond or the server files associated with it

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
Bump. Any suggestions at all? Willing to try anything, pretty dumbfounded that as the server was running, it decided to have this login issue, whereas even 30 minutes prior it ran fine as always.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I take it you don't have any issues connecting to the server locally. It is only your friend have the issue correct? If so, it sounds like your upload speed from your ISP is having issues (not enough speed, contention in the network, QoS, etc.). One of the reasons I rent a server rather than operate one out my home. While I'm paying for top tier internet in my area, it is still a cable modem. So during prime time my upload speed tanks. I can play on public servers and my rented server but the server in my house is unplayable by my friends.

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
I take it you don't have any issues connecting to the server locally. It is only your friend have the issue correct? If so, it sounds like your upload speed from your ISP is having issues (not enough speed, contention in the network, QoS, etc.). One of the reasons I rent a server rather than operate one out my home. While I'm paying for top tier internet in my area, it is still a cable modem. So during prime time my upload speed tanks. I can play on public servers and my rented server but the server in my house is unplayable by my friends.
See, that's part of the issue though, I also cannot connect to the server; I get the same time out issue. And as for upload speed, it's the same as when the server functioned normally.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude, I realize my tone can be taken the wrong way, I just wanted to clarify that it seems like everything on my end is exactly as it was when the server worked. I'll fiddle with some firewall things, could be that as well.

Last edited:

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
Still no luck, this really is a head-scratcher for me. Could it be possible a player has placed or done something that is causing this? Is my ISP blocking this now? I really am running out of possibilities

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
A couple more questions. First did you put an IP address in the server.properties file? If so remove it. Second, when you are trying to connect to it locally are you using the PCs IP address or your external IP address that your friend would see? I would try the PCs IP address first to make sure there is no local issues before trying the external IP.

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
A couple more questions. First did you put an IP address in the server.properties file? If so remove it. Second, when you are trying to connect to it locally are you using the PCs IP address or your external IP address that your friend would see? I would try the PCs IP address first to make sure there is no local issues before trying the external IP.
The server.properties file hasn't been tinkered with since I did a fresh install, and even my local address wasn't working. What did fix the issue was loading a backup of the world folder; it seems something got corrupted in the file. Monitoring the server and player activity for now to see if a specific mod causes it again.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Interesting. I wouldn't have gone down that path since it looked like the server was up. So I assumed the world/save was good. Glad to hear that your fixed it. But yeah keep an eye on it and if it does happen again see if you can narrow down the mod that caused the issue.

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. I wouldn't have gone down that path since it looked like the server was up. So I assumed the world/save was good. Glad to hear that your fixed it. But yeah keep an eye on it and if it does happen again see if you can narrow down the mod that caused the issue.
Yeah, it threw me for a loop too, but happy it's settled. Thanks for all your help!