What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Touched on it elsewhere, but the new buildcraft has liquids that are lighter than air. It's a gas byproduct of the oil refinery process that I don't totally 100% understand yet, but I "abuse" it to "get high" so I can take off in my hang glider. You can swim up it like it's water, it just flows up to the build height limit.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Touched on it elsewhere, but the new buildcraft has liquids that are lighter than air. It's a gas byproduct of the oil refinery process that I don't totally 100% understand yet, but I "abuse" it to "get high" so I can take off in my hang glider. You can swim up it like it's water, it just flows up to the build height limit.

TiCo has Energized Glowstone which will flow 'up' as well. Buddy of mine used it for some interesting (if laggy) lighting effects back on Horizons 1.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
The Vapor Of Levity from EnderIO also does this, its good with an Elytra, up and then fly.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
TiCo has Energized Glowstone which will flow 'up' as well. Buddy of mine used it for some interesting (if laggy) lighting effects back on Horizons 1.

Stop giving me ideas!! lol

Every time you give me an idea, I lose like a month of my life, lol

Reactions: OniyaMCD

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I also come up with my own ideas, but the few ideas that Oniya keeps giving me have sent me down some pretty crazy spirals, lol

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Or another idea: Try using the Astral Sorcery Cave Illuminator to light up an entire base and test its range to see just how far it goes. You're welcome. :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm immune to that one because I have never been able to get myself into any magic mod :p Maybe some day, though.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thaumcraft, Botania, Blood Magic, Roots, AbyssalCraft? Any of them?

I have no been able to get into any of them, nope. I do want to do Thaumcraft some day when it gets updated, though. And I did technically use a sword someone gave that they made from Thaumcraft that would let me float like a jetpack or something. But that, and sorting all the junk those mods add into the game, is the only experience I have with any magic mods.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
How about trying to craft a kikoku and kill your buddy you're making a pack for?

That's not how my brain works. Oniya gets it. I'm not interested in doing anything the way it's intended. If I were to play with glowing liquid that floats, I would use it to build some kind of crazy fountain thing that also does your taxes.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That this is the most efficient configuration for pumping/refining oil directly to a quarry in the new buildcraft:

dkeNfU2.jpg

I figured I'd share since there's no documentation but this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/6veugt/a_complete_guide_to_111_buildcraft_fuels/

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I also come up with my own ideas, but the few ideas that Oniya keeps giving me have sent me down some pretty crazy spirals, lol

This one doesn't have to take a month off your life - Source block at the bottom, clear glass to direct it, and an opening for it to spread out with when you hit the ceiling.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That doesn't resemble the Buildcraft I remember. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy an engineering challenge, but that seems much more convoluted than it used to be.

This part is way more complicated than it used to be. I hated it right up until I loved it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah. It looks pretty much like the old oil refinery, only it outputs in the top and bottom. The heating and cooling thing is multiblock. I have not built one yet. But, supposedly, you pump in water or lava along with something you want to heat or cool. Doesn't cost RF, but consumes the lava.

Half my state has no power right now, so it'll be a few days before I can build this, but I can't wait!

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
Good question, not sure - needs further investigation :)

But, going by the sounds of it, it's not based on the chunk because the person who discovered it was looking for quartzite veins and couldn't find them, built the drive, and then found a quartzite vein INSIDE the drive!

Correct. I made the space inside chunks I'd already surveyed and when I went into the disk I found deposits which weren't in the overworld space.

The way Immersive Engineering deposits work you can find them in any dimension. This includes AE disks and Dimensional Doors pocket dimensions.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame