best ways to get started in a new world

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Guswut used report!

It's not very effective ... so far.

Huh?

Hahah, nah, give it time. Administrators aren't made of clocks after all. Which means that time is a special sauce that you cannot just buy for three dollars (it's at LEAST five dollars, Canadian).

But yes, I'm surprised more people don't use the starting tactic of "run around like a crazy person until night time, then die, over and over again", as that usually is the first thing new players do.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Huh?

Hahah, nah, give it time. Administrators aren't made of clocks after all. Which means that time is a special sauce that you cannot just buy for three dollars (it's at LEAST five dollars, Canadian).

No, it was just a statement of "I have no idea if the report is going to be effective or not," as I actually found the repeat of "huh?" slightly amusing.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
No, it was just a statement of "I have no idea if the report is going to be effective or not," as I actually found the repeat of "huh?" slightly amusing.

Ahh, I thought it was fairly cut-and-dry spam, but I've got an eye for such things, so it may just be some future-evidence on my part.

But yes, running around like a chicken sans head. That needs to be done at LEAST once.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
But yes, running around like a chicken sans head. That needs to be done at LEAST once.

I've done that a few times! Well, not as randomly. But there was a vanilla server I played on once. In fact, y'know what, I'll just post the story on my profile page so everyone can read it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I've done that a few times! Well, not as randomly. But there was a vanilla server I played on once. In fact, y'know what, I'll just post the story on my profile page so everyone can read it.

And so it begins! From the ashes, new life is born.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
And so it begins! From the ashes, new life is born.

Ugh, not enough space. I'll post it here.

I was once playing on this server with a multiple worlds plugin. The three worlds were Town, which was a safe haven where everyone had a 60x60 lot to build on, the Wild, which was a normal MC world other than the protected area near spawn where mobs aren't allowed and no one can break anything, and the Nether, which was basically a Nether-y Wild.

I was in the Wilderness near nighttime, and decided to take refuge in this HUGE castle someone had built for the night. I was taking a look at the surrounding scenery ...
and my shift key decided not to work. This was about a 40-60 block fall, so I died upon hitting the ground.

So I run over there again. It's a fair distance away from spawn (or, rather, the west/east outpost, I can't remember which,) so I got there with probably barely enough time before my stuff despawned. And I had a full suit of Iron Armor and a bit of loot. And this was during the nighttime, so I had to fight off all sorts of things on my way there, I got there with 1/2 heart left. And then I hear an arachnid of doom.

I die seconds after reclaiming my stuff.

Luckily, I managed to get back in time and duck in the castle next time I got there.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My only suggestion for getting started(in Ultimate, anyway) is get three quartz dust, make a quartz grindstone. It's a low tech ore doubler. Also nets you double bonemeal per bone.(that's right, SIX bonemeal for one bone) Sacrifices automation for being accessible earlier, which is why I love it.

After getting my basic ore doubling system set up, I start researching every last thing under the sun in my Thaumcraft setup(at least once per install, to see what things require), or if I've already done so with every bloody research my game has, I just use a little debug feature from one of the addons I use to skip one of the worst systems I've ever encountered for making things take more time, and unlock all Thaumcraft 3 research and save myself a massive headache.

After that, I usually prick about and try to figure out why the Axe of the Stream never works for me, then just make a Wand of Excavation and get a recharge enchant on it. Usually try to find MystCraft symbols after that, doing my age jumping and praying for no decay and no void ages. Some people give themselves a creative notebook because they despise the mechanics for symbol location currently in MystCraft. Personally I don't mind it. But I mind TC3's research system, so we all have our own levels of bullshit we can put up with.

Reactions: Barbarian Kitten

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
I spent two RL hours punching a tree with the wrong mouse button on my first day.. Then i check on youtube and saw a idiots guide to minecraft and they said to use the OTHER mouse button. Man i was pissed/upset at myself for never event hinking bout using the other moue button. Then a couple weeks later my brother invited me to a server he was hosting. I learned that at night ALOT of evil monsters come out to play. Apparently i had set my SP for peaceful mode. I didnt even know there were hostile mobs in the game. I called him up thinking he had set up some crazy mod or something that would create mobs to kill me ever 15 minutes... Yeah good times.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
My only suggestion for getting started(in Ultimate, anyway) is get three quartz dust, make a quartz grindstone. It's a low tech ore doubler. Also nets you double bonemeal per bone.(that's right, SIX bonemeal for one bone) Sacrifices automation for being accessible earlier, which is why I love it.

After getting my basic ore doubling system set up, I start researching every last thing under the sun in my Thaumcraft setup(at least once per install, to see what things require), or if I've already done so with every bloody research my game has, I just use a little debug feature from one of the addons I use to skip one of the worst systems I've ever encountered for making things take more time, and unlock all Thaumcraft 3 research and save myself a massive headache.

After that, I usually prick about and try to figure out why the Axe of the Stream never works for me, then just make a Wand of Excavation and get a recharge enchant on it. Usually try to find MystCraft symbols after that, doing my age jumping and praying for no decay and no void ages. Some people give themselves a creative notebook because they despise the mechanics for symbol location currently in MystCraft. Personally I don't mind it. But I mind TC3's research system, so we all have our own levels of bullshit we can put up with.
What add on let's you skip thaumcraft research?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just assume this is a serious question. If you've played vanilla MC before, you already know the basics: gather supplies and build a shelter so you're safe at night. I'd recommend, once you get enough food, seal yourself off in a cave and start mining. Unlike vanilla MC, you don't just dig down to y=12 and start a branch mine. Because you won't get any copper that way. So either go caving, or build a branch mine between y = 40 and y = 55 so you get copper, then another branch mine at y = 12 so you get more valuable materials.

What you're looking for in the early game is copper, tin, gold, iron, and redstone (and silver, to a lesser extent). Also fairly important is sand. All of this is in addition to wood, coal, and cobblestone. As for gems, you want diamonds (of course), rubies, sapphires and green sapphires.

Important tool note: you really don't need diamond tools in FTB. Pickaxes, shovels, swords, etc, can be made from rubies, sapphires, and green sapphires. You'll need diamonds for several middle-tier tech equipment, so save them.

The first thing you're going to want to do is learn how to double your ores. In vanilla MC, one iron ore gives you one iron ingot if you put it in a furnace. That's still true in FTB. But, if you have the proper equipment, you can get two iron ingots per ore. This is true for copper, gold, tin, and silver also. If you're using GregTech, the macerator is too expensive for that. So you want to start with Thermal Expansion. There's a very good guide for that here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/guide-thermal-expansion-for-newbies.4219/

Basically, you build a stirling engine to power a pulverizer and an induction smelter. Just follow the guide from there to learn how to power that equipment and evolve from there.

Also, you're going to want an electric jetpack fairly early also. You get around the mountainous terrain so much easier with one. NEI shows you two types of jetpacks, the fuel one is useless--don't build it. It's harder to fly, it's harder to fuel. The electric jetpack only needs you to make a generator for re-filling. So make sure you make the electric jetpack.

Quintaar

Jul 29, 2019
The way I start new world is:

A) book a time off work.
B) make sure i have supplies at home ready
C) arrange activities for my gf for the nearest days, or sync my world generation with her work trip

Once these are met: i just set into the world and find nice looking area. I'm playing mostly SSP for now, I always have time and always multitask therefore 'quick starts ' to generate most resources, double ores and other shortcuts are never my priority.
I jump from creating my base, to playing with one mod or the other, (feeding apiaries, while collecting ores to get to 1st quarry) take my time and venture around, marking interesting spots for future expansion. As there is no other players to steal area from me - im in no rush, and plan to make things work, and look fun, rather than being efficient with energy etc.

I'm often aware about exploits or great 'set ups' that would make the work easier, but I do take pleasure in collecting materials on my own sometimes, the other times using quarry (i set them at Lvl 40 underground) to get cobblestone etc for building contraptions castles etc - without spending time mining. If i need some extra resources, i simply leave pc on for the night and let the simple set up make me things ready for the morning plan. MC is so powerful with mods that it never leaves you waiting doing nothing.

using teleport pipes can me amazing, but making golem to bring you freshly baked bread every hour on your doorstep is far more amusing :)