Help me pick my next pack!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm getting the itch! But I really don't feel like going back to my existing world. I want to do something new. Help me figure out what I want to do here!

I'm not going to pretend that this one is the last world I'm ever going to build again. I want the next one to be a little more focused. I just don't even know where to start. Is there a good up to date resource on existing packs? I'm looking at the wiki and it doesn't even have beyond on it.

My only rule is that it needs to be 1.10 or higher. I still like to record stuff, so it needs to be compatible with replaymod.

Any recommendations? Or links to places to start? I want to do something different this time. Maybe something magic based? This would have been a great time for thaumcraft not to be dead... :(

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I heard sprout is really good. exploration based, could try that. another option if you want a more challenging pack is Age of Engineering.

Reactions: Inaeo

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Beyond if you haven't played it yet. I really enjoyed Skyfactory 3, a ton of unique mods I haven't seen before. All the Mods 3 was recently released for version 1.12 if you want to use the latest version.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Beyond (plus some stuff I added to it) was the last one I did. I was kinda hoping hard mode would be out by now. I might wait for that if nothing else goes.

I could just start a new one with that same pack, I suppose. This time focusing on blood magic or something different.

Or, I could put together my own pack since I'm so particular about stuff... Or I can suck it up and go back to 1.7 so I can finally check out Thaumcraft. I just don't know if I can handle 1.7 anymore.

I tried a skyfactory once. I had no idea wtf to do. Is there a getting started guide for that kind of thing?

Edit: Will check out All the Mods, too...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The only 1.12 packs I've seen so far are the FtB "Unstable" and the "All the Mods 3(cubed)" packs. If Buildcraft is usable it'll probably be in one or both of those.

1.12 looks like it'll be the next 1.7, as 1.13 will break things from what the Forge guys and Mojang are tweeting out.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm really hoping it is the new 1.7. I really want that stability.

I think I'm losing my Minecraft boner (for lack of a better term, lol) for now. I'm looking for something that's not quite there yet, I think.

What I really want is Beyond Expert mode, with buildcraft in it. Or something to replace thaumcraft.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I tried a skyfactory once. I had no idea wtf to do. Is there a getting started guide for that kind of thing?
Yes when you spawn in you get an achievement book. Gives you the basics and the recommended path.

What I really want is Beyond Expert mode, with buildcraft in it. Or something to replace thaumcraft.
There won't be Beyond Expert. They began developing a seperate pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yes when you spawn in you get an achievement book. Gives you the basics and the recommended path.

There won't be Beyond Expert. They began developing a seperate pack.

Hmm. I might give that a shot, then. Just for a temporary distraction to see how it goes.

I didn't know that about Beyond Expert. Though, I would imagine that separate pack would essentially be the same idea, right? I'm looking forward to that if that's the case. Do know (or anyone) know what kind of timeline that's likely to be? I imagine the answer is "when it's ready", of course, but I dont' even know where to start to guess how long that might be.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Hmm. I might give that a shot, then. Just for a temporary distraction to see how it goes.

I didn't know that about Beyond Expert. Though, I would imagine that separate pack would essentially be the same idea, right? I'm looking forward to that if that's the case. Do know (or anyone) know what kind of timeline that's likely to be? I imagine the answer is "when it's ready", of course, but I dont' even know where to start to guess how long that might be.

They're using "Unstable" to evaluate Mods right now, since 1.12 has only been out a short while. I would think they'd create a "Beyond" look-alike first then use that as a basis for the separate "Expert" pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Really tempted to try out Infinity expert mode now that there's a guide for that one. Anyone here gone back to a 1.7 pack after playing a 1.10 pack? How jarring is it? I'm not sure I can handle it, lol.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Really tempted to try out Infinity expert mode now that there's a guide for that one. Anyone here gone back to a 1.7 pack after playing a 1.10 pack? How jarring is it? I'm not sure I can handle it, lol.
My first pack was Tekkit. Then I went and play Skyfactory 3. And then went back to Infinity Evolved.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Alright, I keep coming back to Infinity Evolved, expert mode on hard survival. I think I need to get Thaumcraft under my belt and out of my system before there's a legit, solid 1.12 based Infinity/beyond type of expert mode mod to graduate to down the line. I'm just going to have to suck it up on the performance issues.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
so after playing a little of it, I have to Recommend Divine Journey. it's a 1.7.10 "Expert" pack similar to FTB infinity evolved of Project Ozone 2. however, I think it's superior to the previous two for a couple of reasons. For starters, it has a larger emphases on exploration, most notable in the inclusion of Divine RPG, Secondly, it saves the grind for later game, as most of the early recipes are significantly cheaper than in other packs, for example to make a bucket, as opposed to using iron plates, which require a hemmer which requires treated wood which requires a coke oven *Deep breath* instead, all you need for a bucket is 3 weighted pressure plates AKA 6 iron, another example being the furnace which takes 4 compressed cobble, 2 standard cobble, 2 slabs, and a block of coal. all and all, I would call it a very fun pack that should definitely be looked at. oh, and I forgot to mention that it comes with 2 modes, "easy" mode, which is supposed to be harder that PO2 Kappa mode, and hard mode, which is supposed to be harder that PO2 Kappa mode

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I started an infinity evolved run. If I'm going to play 1.7, I think that's just going to be it. I appreciate the recommendation, though. I think as far as a 1.12 pack goes, Age of Engineering looked the closest to what I was looking for, too. I will look into that one just to give it is due diligence, though.

But, it's all moot because I'm being forced at gunpoint to play freakin vanilla, on the only (current) irrelevant version of minecraft there is, the PS4. I am being held hostage in this world because a friend of mine I've been trying to get to play with us suddenly got interested and that's the only version he'll play. We're playing off of the first minecraft map I've ever created, which is all nostalgic and great and all, but there's no way to run it off of anything but MY ps4, there are no mods to work with, and it's not going to end up part of the better together update, so I won't be able to move the world to something else so we can play in peace.

But, I tried infinity evolved expert mode for the 2 hours I did get to play, and I actually think I can handle the performance hit for now. So, hopefully some day, we can get this dude hooked enough on this PS4 version so we can get him on board to play real minecraft some day...

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My first Minecraft experience was playing with some friends on Xbox360. The console versions are like a pusher handing out free samples of crack. Just enough to get you to try it, and then -Bam!- you're helpless to it's will over you. Well played, Mojang. Well played, indeed.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah. That's my hope. That it happens again. He's going to realize there isn't much to find in those caves. And he's going to want *moar*

I have to admit it's neat being back in the world that started it all. It's crazy how good this seed looks and it was the first map I ever made, just randomly. Gorgeous. At least until we ruin it with our half baked buildings lol.

But, I'm never going to get to do Thaumcraft at this rate! Ugh!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I have a suggestion!

I've been watching Krakaen's lets play of All The Mods: Expert, and boy is THAT a proper expert mode experience from the looks of it! Really really strongly integrated mods, some very interesting lesser-known mods that I've never come across, fascinating progression. You won't be racing through it, that's for sure!

Now, that said, I've just seen that All The Mods Expert: Remastered was released just a couple of days ago - post is here - and it sounds like they've taken everything on board that people have said about ATM:E and rejigged a lot of stuff, recipes etc - and added a quest book from the sounds of it. I reckon either of those (maybe see how you get on with the original, and give the remastered a bit of time to settle in) would suit you :D

EDIT:
My first Minecraft experience was playing with some friends on Xbox360. The console versions are like a pusher handing out free samples of crack. Just enough to get you to try it, and then -Bam!- you're helpless to it's will over you. Well played, Mojang. Well played, indeed.
ditto!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'll look into that one, too. I will definitely re-reference this thread when I can get this dude off of vanilla, lol. I still think Infinity has this... "official" air to it that will make it the winner, but I'm still totally open.

What bugs me is that I had a plan for going back to vanilla once the "better together" and super duper graphics pack were implemented. So, burning that vanilla nostalgia now is killing me.

It's a married couple I play with. They have one PC to work with. One of them is getting a 2-year-old $300 wal mart special laptop but doesn't care about graphics. Will she be able to play infinity on that?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame