[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

chaosblad3

Jul 29, 2019
Idk if this something intentional, I certainly hope not, but I think there is an error in the config for IC2 Advanced Solars, the Quantum Solar Panel is supposed to produce 2048eu/t at night and 4096eu/t during the day (which it does) but it is also supposed to output any stored power from its internal buffer at 8192eu/t but in the config file the output rate is set to tier 4 (2048eu/t) meaning it can never output power as fast as it generates during the day.. in which case what it the point in it generating 4096eu/t during the day if it can only ever give out half of that no matter how you connect it up to something??!
Okaaaayyy.. Just noticed that this error is in the list at the bottom of the original post of bugs you already know about, but I notice you have listed it as "[MINOR][WON'T FIX]"... so I would like to ask for clarification as to why if you know that the bug exists, and it is a simple matter of changing a 4 to a 5 in the config, then what is your reasoning for not to fixing it?

T

TrueKuehli

Hello everyone,
I was just wondering why this pack uses an outdated version of Extra Utilites. Just recently had to do some workaround to fix my Grid Power, since in the 1.2 Version used in the pack GP occassionally bugs out, potentially preventing it being used. It seems that some YouTubers playing this pack also have issues with this, is there any planned update to a newer version of ExUtils (since it appears to have been fixed in a later version), or is there a specific reason you'd rather stick with the 1.2 Version of ExUtils?

chaosblad3

Jul 29, 2019
Fair point:
Code:
 advanced_solar_panels.cfg
Change from
I:QuantumSPTier=4
to
I:QuantumSPTier=5.
And yes, changing it would cause machines that don't support more than 2048 to blow up if they don't have appropriately transformer blocks in front of it or sufficient transformer upgrades inserted, but given that the QS is supposed to output at 8192 under normal circumstances anyway then hooking a machine that can only handle 2048 to it should have caused that machine to explode already, so it would be people's own fault for not following proper transformer discipline in the first place if changing the config in a pack update caused their machines to blow.. this is supposed to be an "expert" pack afterall!

Before we realized that the config was set wrong and it wasn't actually outputting it's full power my teammates on the server i play on had already hooked it up our QS through an EV (yellow) transformer as it normally should be.

To answer your own question, yes & no, the diesel generator can accept the "fuel" from buildcraft (and actually lasts twice as long per bucket) however buildcraft is not in the pack, so no, there isn't anything else you can run it on in the packs current state.

chaosblad3

Jul 29, 2019
Last I checked there wasnt any minetweaker support for the diesel generator itself so I don't think it would be possible to make it accept additional fluids as fuel, it accepts the BC fuel because that was specifically added by the IE dev on his end.. that said the fermenter, squeezer and refinery all have minetweaker support so any of those could be made to accept a form of canola and then convert it into biodiesel like normal.

E.g. tge refinery could be set so that canola oil plus ethanol in it gives 1.5x as much biodiesel/t as ethanol + regular plant oil, or ethanol + crystalized canola oil gives 2x as much etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICountFrom0
H

Hitwolf

hey i have a question is anyone having issues with the Extra Utilities 2 Indexer and Storage drawer: drawer controller communicating with each other and is there some kind of fix besides a break and replace i have tried that on both and i have even used a test world to see if i can find a fix? i am on age 5 but i find the indexer is cheaper then the ender io inventory system because if the use of grid power over nutrient distillation

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Problem: No cactus.

Cactus, as we all know, is available in deserts.
I am playing Age of Engineering on a server with a worldborder configured a few km out from spawn to keep backup sizes reasonable. Of course, as luck will have it: no desert biome in that multi km area.

Without cactus we cannot empower emeraldine which is a problem.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Problem: No cactus.

Cactus, as we all know, is available in deserts.
I am playing Age of Engineering on a server with a worldborder configured a few km out from spawn to keep backup sizes reasonable. Of course, as luck will have it: no desert biome in that multi km area.

Without cactus we cannot empower emeraldine which is a problem.
That's a problem for the server owner to resolve :)

Reactions: ICountFrom0

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That's a problem for the server owner to resolve :)

Full disclosure. Thats me; I spawned in some cactus.

That does not invalidate my premise: a players success in this pack can depend entirely on a desert spawning "reasonably near spawn" - and deserts seem to be frequently rare in the 1.10.x world generator.

Reactions: Pyure

chaosblad3

Jul 29, 2019

That does not invalidate my premise: a players success in this pack can depend entirely on a desert spawning "reasonably near spawn" - and deserts seem to be frequently rare in the 1.10.x world generator.
That is the price you pay for setting a world border I'm afraid, on the server I play on we had a similar issue with no jungle biomes so our admins added custom recipes for everything needed that couldn't otherwise be obtained.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

I.....mostly...disagree with this. Not 100%, because I hate "adventuring" and I dislike wandering around god's green acre as it were to find critical resources. Let's say 65% :)

On "normal" servers, cactus is usually really simple to find. Deserts aren't a rare biome. The thing that somewhat invalidates your premise is the fact that your server breaks the norm (for both the main game and the pack) by significantly restricting the world. When you make a fixed border server, the onus is on the server owner to make sure he includes everything necessary to run the pack.

Having said that, if I were you, I'd minetweak a simple recipe to address the problem. (Actually, looking above....see what chaosblad3 says.)

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
To also chime in on this world border issue; I also believe the server owner needs to test out a few seeds in advance to make sure the world created will actually work. Once that is verified then a clean world with the selected seed can be created or if server compute resources are the concern then the world can be pre-generated so that when the players do explore that terrain will already exist.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
At least, on a server, the owner has the control to spawn in some cactus.

A player playing the pack in single player has to make the dubious choice of deciding, how many km they need to wander from spawn without finding something to call it a bust before just cheating the item in.

My viewpoint is, if packs are going to rely on items that are only found in rare biomes, then they need to provide a built in backup. I was hoping AoE had this - I was quite willing to mutate to cactus using IC2 crops if possible (doesn't appear so), or a different crop breeding mechanism in some other mod in the pack. That would have been an interesting consequence to the world seed making cactus hard to get "the easy way".

As it is, I did recreate the world in singleplayer, and creative mode flew for 24km away from spawn without encountering a desert - to see if I could solve the problem by extending the world border - before giving up.
Some maps just make deserts really rare. And some make jungles really rare too (I'm not sure actually if I found any legit jungle either while overflying my 'seeded' map).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My viewpoint is, if packs are going to rely on items that are only found in rare biomes, then they need to provide a built in backup. I was hoping AoE had this - I was quite willing to mutate to cactus using IC2 crops if possible (doesn't appear so), or a different crop breeding mechanism in some other mod in the pack. That would have been an interesting consequence to the world seed making cactus hard to get "the easy way".

As it is, I did recreate the world in singleplayer, and creative mode flew for 24km away from spawn without encountering a desert - to see if I could solve the problem by extending the world border - before giving up.
Some maps just make deserts really rare. And some make jungles really rare too (I'm not sure actually if I found any legit jungle either while overflying my 'seeded' map).
I totally agree with this. I think where we diverge is simply our definition of rare. I cannot conceive of a world (1.10 or anything else) where you can travel more than, say, 5km from your base without finding a desert in some direction (5km radius). My last few 1.10 worlds almost feel like they've been mostly desert in fact.

I particularly agree with the built-in-backup idea. I hate single points of resources, period, and rarity be damned.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
To help anyone with testing out worlds you don't actually have to create it and fly around manually.

For Age of Engineering or anything else that uses vanilla biomes this will work:
http://chunkbase.com/apps/biome-finder

for modpacks that have things like biomes-o-plenty or if you want to look for other random world generation objects you can use something like Pioneer Terain Survey.
- Pioneer is a tool for rendering biome maps of arbitrary size, scale and position without generating any chunks
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/pr...vey?gameCategorySlug=mc-mods&projectID=262302

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
AoE doesn;t use vanilla biomes. At least one mod is adding a custom biome to perturb the mix. Integrated Dynamics.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
AoE doesn;t use vanilla biomes. At least one mod is adding a custom biome to perturb the mix. Integrated Dynamics.

Whoops, I didn't realize that ID used a biome I assumed it just dropped its trees into the world in the same way IC2 does its rubber trees.

from the Integrated Dyanmics config file:
biome {
B:biomeMeneglin=true

# The weight of spawning.
I:biomeMeneglin.spawnWeight=5​

Not sure what its generation rules are but it must create small biomes in things like an existing plains biome as I have found those trees in the mining dimension.

But the good news, using the biome finder from chunk base has been correct for me when looking for mooshroom islands, deserts, and jungles when I have decided that my time spent searching has been enough and its now time to collect the items and move on. You do need to know the seed so playing on a server can make getting that info a challenge if the owner does not wish to share those details.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Amidst or whatever it was called worked fine for me when I tried it once, occasionally a biome will actually be the mengelin biome instead of what it said, but that was the only issue I noticed.
2. What does the "orechid" tube do in forestry?
That's for autoharvesting forestry fruit trees afaik.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the AoE recipe for Empowered Emeraldine specifically references a Cactus block. I would be happier with Cactus Green / random green dye via ore dictionary as in the simplest sense it proves access to cactus, or deeper investment to avoid access to cactus.