Server optimization

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
H

Hoxlegion

When setting up a direwolf20 server what is the best way to optimize this?
Have 6G of ram for the server and there are gonna be around max 8 people at a time on the server.
60G of ssd storage selected for it and max cpu usage is around 30 to 50% when I tested it without optimizing.

Any good tips?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Best tip is to encourage your players to play in a server friendly way. Regular backups (personally recommend rdiff-backup for linux installs) and a daily reboot just to keep things fresh.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
And go easy on the chunk loaders and entities.

I once had someone crash an entire server cos there were hundreds of chickens in a 3x3 area.

Another time had to rewind back to an earlier backup cos they lost control of the wither in the nether, broke through the nether ceiling made a real mess of the tick rate.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
And go easy on the chunk loaders and entities.

I once had someone crash an entire server cos there were hundreds of chickens in a 3x3 area.

Another time had to rewind back to an earlier backup cos they lost control of the wither in the nether, broke through the nether ceiling made a real mess of the tick rate.
That can be summed up to "don't do stupid stuff". A chunkloader in itself won't add much lag (ever compared what a player loads vs a chunkloader?). Build smart and efficient (for the server) regardless if it gets chunkloaded or not.

Also don't limit the chunkloaders using admin powers, there are so many ways to chunkload an area that sometimes it even happens by pure accident and all those are a lot more problematic for a servers TPS then official chunkloaders.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
A chunkloader in itself won't add much lag (ever compared what a player loads vs a chunkloader?). Build smart and efficient (for the server) regardless if it gets chunkloaded or not.

No - but having someone places chunkloaders with reckless abandon all over the map, with a crapload of machines and entities on each, in multiple dimensions, does take its toll after a while. I've had it happen.

Some people do act selfish and ruin the server experience for the rest.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Chunkloaders themselves don't usually cause many problems. It's what is in the chunks they are loading that does. Set up a reasonable timeout period for them so they stop working after the player has been offline for a certain time, then tell your players which chinkloading methods are approved for use and that should be sufficient