What are early game renewable power gen in DW20 1.10?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

MikW

Hey, I'm new to FTB modded survival, and I have a survival world I started 3 days ago. I have basic Tinker's Construct setup, I have a small wheat, carrot, potato, industrial hemp, and sheep farm. I have a decent amount of resources, and also I have an Ender IO Stirling Generator and a Sag Mill. I need a renewable power source, a help would be gladly appreciated.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
How much power are you aiming for? Canola generators could be your answer.

What pack and version of MC are you using? That may determine your answer, as older packs may not have mods that people tell you about, and some older packs have several different power systems so you might have differing solutions depending on your machine requirements, i.e. RF and/or EU (IC2 is back in 1.11). Since you say you have a Stirling Generator and SAG mill now, at least RF is available.

As @TheMagikarpGuy pointed out, Canola Generators from Actually Additions is good if the mod is in your pack... If you have AA you can get earthworms by hoeing grass; each worm covers a 3x3 area, automatically tilling it and keeping it moist (no water needed). It also speeds up crop generation a bit. You can get a lot of canola very quickly. Then, you need a Canola press to make oil. Put the oil in a fermenter and the result from that in a generator and you have Tier 2 canola power.

Last edited:
M

MikW

I actually settled with an Improved Windmill setup that gives constant, renewable 22 rf/t that's enough for powering my early game machines.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you already have a hemp farm, Improved Windmills are a nice steady stream of power, albeit a slow trickle. Pair it with the power storage system of your choice (Immersive Engineering Capacitor if you want to keep with the same mod) and you should have ample power for the manual processing stage. Depending on your resource situation, you could also make Thermoelectric Generators for increased passive power generation.

Charcoal farms (tree farms built with the purpose of being burnt into charcoal for fuel) are popular with those who use solid fueled generators, such as EnderIO Stirling Generators (upgrading these with Capacitors keeps them a viable option for quite some time). What's nice too, is the lumber can be manual to start, then fed to an Alloy Furnace placed adjacent to your Stirling Generator and set to auto feed charcoal into it. Once you have the infrastructure, you can fully automate the harvesting as well (staying with EnderIO, the Farming Station). Overflow charcoal can be compressed to blocks for storage or then burnt for improved efficiency (a block of nine charcoal has the burn time of ten individual pieces). This is also helpful when preparing to enter other mods (feeding Botania Endoflames for early Mana generation, for instance).

M

MikW

If you already have a hemp farm, Improved Windmills are a nice steady stream of power, albeit a slow trickle. Pair it with the power storage system of your choice (Immersive Engineering Capacitor if you want to keep with the same mod) and you should have ample power for the manual processing stage. Depending on your resource situation, you could also make Thermoelectric Generators for increased passive power generation.

Charcoal farms (tree farms built with the purpose of being burnt into charcoal for fuel) are popular with those who use solid fueled generators, such as EnderIO Stirling Generators (upgrading these with Capacitors keeps them a viable option for quite some time). What's nice too, is the lumber can be manual to start, then fed to an Alloy Furnace placed adjacent to your Stirling Generator and set to auto feed charcoal into it. Once you have the infrastructure, you can fully automate the harvesting as well (staying with EnderIO, the Farming Station). Overflow charcoal can be compressed to blocks for storage or then burnt for improved efficiency (a block of nine charcoal has the burn time of ten individual pieces). This is also helpful when preparing to enter other mods (feeding Botania Endoflames for early Mana generation, for instance).
I have a pretty big manual tree farm for charcoal. Haven't automated it yet though, I'm planning to use Ender IO but I haven't got any ender pearls unfortunately, killed two endermen that didn't drop any ender pearl. I also burn coal that I don't need in the coke furnace to make coal coke/coal coke block that generates 2× the RF compared to normal coal/coal block, also creating creosote for more treated wood.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have a pretty big manual tree farm for charcoal. Haven't automated it yet though, I'm planning to use Ender IO but I haven't got any ender pearls unfortunately, killed two endermen that didn't drop any ender pearl. I also burn coal that I don't need in the coke furnace to make coal coke/coal coke block that generates 2× the RF compared to normal coal/coal block, also creating creosote for more treated wood.
For early Ender Pearls, I usually break as much grass as I can in hopes of finding an Ender Lilly seed or two. They grow very slowly, but the passive harvest really helps take the grind out of the first few. Once you get to the end, planting them on Endstone makes them grow faster as well as gives the chance for extra seeds on harvest, which can net you a field from a single seed over time.

If you want more power per piece of fuel, check out the XU Survivalist Generator. It doesn't output much power per tick, but you get amazing fuel economy. I used these regularly back in 1.7 when starting a new world. They shine for situations where trickle power is enough, but you can outgrow the low throughput of power quickly, depending on which mods you've employed.

M

MikW

For early Ender Pearls, I usually break as much grass as I can in hopes of finding an Ender Lilly seed or two. They grow very slowly, but the passive harvest really helps take the grind out of the first few. Once you get to the end, planting them on Endstone makes them grow faster as well as gives the chance for extra seeds on harvest, which can net you a field from a single seed over time.

If you want more power per piece of fuel, check out the XU Survivalist Generator. It doesn't output much power per tick, but you get amazing fuel economy. I used these regularly back in 1.7 when starting a new world. They shine for situations where trickle power is enough, but you can outgrow the low throughput of power quickly, depending on which mods you've employed.
Thanks for the suggestion, I might consider using those for extra power. Currently using improved windmill from IE, and I also am aiming for a water mill system. I think I'll probably do a base building thing today, a proper base not just a crude cave house. And maybe a RS/AE2 storage system. Probably RS though because it's cheaper.

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
After a temporary canola gen, I went with the new thermal expansion treetaps for power. 20 of them (there is a bug to stack them on one large spruce btw) provided enough to run two resonant tier dynamos as well as a resonant steam one, which provided a nice 450ish rf/tick and was completely renewable.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Peat worked for me until I started running quarries, fullsize forestry peat bog provides enough to run 20 peat engines easily. And it is very easy to automate the renewable production of bog earth, you basically end up running your base on sand.
400 rf\t from the 20 enigines.
When I needed more power 20 Slime gens provide 8k rf\t with only a very minimal amount of work to automate them. You only need roughly a quarter of a fullsize EnderIo farm to provide the slime and milk buckets are very easy to automate.

Last edited:

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I would recommend trying to get into the nether and get lava power. Since the nether is nearly infinite meaning completely renewable.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Not necessarily early game, more like mid game really, but I found a cute little power system...

MFR Steam Boiler with an Aqueous Accumulator with at least three water source blocks adjacent underneath it feeding it water. Feed steam into a Steam Dynamo with Turbine Conversion, Auxiliary Transmission Coil, and Fuel Catalyzer. This will require a minimum of Signalum upgrade.

This produces 420 RF/t. However, it is inefficient for 'on demand' power because the boiler will continue to consume fuel even if there is nowhere for the power to go, and it will cool off if you stop it. Therefore, this is best for 'base-line' power generation when your needs exceed 420 RF/t and the ability to produce 'peak power production' in other ways that are more stutter-friendly.

Optimal layout seems to be two Aqueous Accumulators with four water source blocks around them feeding to one steam turbine providing steam to four steam dynamos set up in this manner for a total of 1680 RF/t baseline. You will likely want to have filters on the water pipes at the boiler to avoid backstuffing your water lines with steam.

The most expensive components are the Signalum upgrades. However, you can get 320 RF/t out of Hardened engines by simply converting them with the Turbine Conversion. This means you can have more generators on the steam line as they will consume less steam. This brings the system down to a level where you can manage it as soon as you poke your nose into the nether, as the boiler itself requires nether brick stairs.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not necessarily early game, more like mid game really, but I found a cute little power system...

MFR Steam Boiler with an Aqueous Accumulator with at least three water source blocks adjacent underneath it feeding it water. Feed steam into a Steam Dynamo with Turbine Conversion, Auxiliary Transmission Coil, and Fuel Catalyzer. This will require a minimum of Signalum upgrade.

This produces 420 RF/t. However, it is inefficient for 'on demand' power because the boiler will continue to consume fuel even if there is nowhere for the power to go, and it will cool off if you stop it. Therefore, this is best for 'base-line' power generation when your needs exceed 420 RF/t and the ability to produce 'peak power production' in other ways that are more stutter-friendly.

Optimal layout seems to be two Aqueous Accumulators with four water source blocks around them feeding to one steam turbine providing steam to four steam dynamos set up in this manner for a total of 1680 RF/t baseline. You will likely want to have filters on the water pipes at the boiler to avoid backstuffing your water lines with steam.

The most expensive components are the Signalum upgrades. However, you can get 320 RF/t out of Hardened engines by simply converting them with the Turbine Conversion. This means you can have more generators on the steam line as they will consume less steam. This brings the system down to a level where you can manage it as soon as you poke your nose into the nether, as the boiler itself requires nether brick stairs.
I haven't checked the math since MFR updated to 1.10, but all the pieces are available now for the 1.7 system laid out in my signature. Using lava buckets as a fuel source has a burn time long enough to offset the production of more lava with net gain.

In theory, the stage using TE Dynamos for power generation would be possibly more efficient now, since the augments work differently now, but I would have to check it out in a test world again. The Extreme Reactors Turbine remains the king of steam power, and it only takes five MFR Steam Boilers to feed one at max capacity. Note that I don't consider this early game, but the pieces can be made as needed, then cobbled together and automated later.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I haven't checked the math since MFR updated to 1.10, but all the pieces are available now for the 1.7 system laid out in my signature. Using lava buckets as a fuel source has a burn time long enough to offset the production of more lava with net gain.

In theory, the stage using TE Dynamos for power generation would be possibly more efficient now, since the augments work differently now, but I would have to check it out in a test world again. The Extreme Reactors Turbine remains the king of steam power, and it only takes five MFR Steam Boilers to feed one at max capacity. Note that I don't consider this early game, but the pieces can be made as needed, then cobbled together and automated later.
Yea, the Turbine Conversion gives you a stupid RF production. I've got 1680 RF/t from a single boiler. That's pretty solid. With Blood Magic, you can run that off of your LP via a Lava Crystal.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Get some Waterwheels going from Immersive Engineering. Great constant power, and super easy to make.
I've got two Improved Windmills, two 3 wide Waterwheels and two Thermal Electric Generators using packed ice and Blutonium blocks as their hot/cold.

This allows me to run the heaters for my Improved Blast Furnace, 3 Stamping Machines, 1 Grinder, 3 Cloches, and 1 Assembler....

Found this link (not sure how up to date, but seems about right) for RF outputs of the passive generators.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3bkvzx/immersive_engineering_numbers/

Reactions: MikW

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Get some Waterwheels going from Immersive Engineering. Great constant power, and super easy to make.
I've got two Improved Windmills, two 3 wide Waterwheels and two Thermal Electric Generators using packed ice and Blutonium blocks as their hot/cold.

This allows me to run the heaters for my Improved Blast Furnace, 3 Stamping Machines, 1 Grinder, 3 Cloches, and 1 Assembler....

Found this link (not sure how up to date, but seems about right) for RF outputs of the passive generators.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3bkvzx/immersive_engineering_numbers/
I was thinking about setting up something with Blutonium and Packed Ice as well - what kind of RF/t do you get from one of those, assuming you've got two of each hot/cold block around the thermoelectric?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've seen one that's two rows of five hot blocks, three of five cold blocks and then four rows of four Thermoelectric that generates 640 or so. Personally I'm partial to sets of Waterwheels, which are something like 80RF/t per set.

Check the numbers on the Actually Additions Lava Fabricator and see if you get more per bucket than you put in, and you might be able to run a positive power loop on that.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I've seen one that's two rows of five hot blocks, three of five cold blocks and then four rows of four Thermoelectric that generates 640 or so. Personally I'm partial to sets of Waterwheels, which are something like 80RF/t per set.

Check the numbers on the Actually Additions Lava Fabricator and see if you get more per bucket than you put in, and you might be able to run a positive power loop on that.
I'm pretty positive that the power requirements on the Fabricator are very deliberately high, to avoid exactly that. If you're flush with power and you need lava for other things, that's one thing, but if you want to use it for power, I strongly doubt it's possible. I'm not 100% though! :)