Gregtechs role in the modpacks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually a very good definition because it provides objective boundaries

This will be difficult, then, because I'm pointing out that the arbitrary boundaries you've established for the term have no historical precedent. This is the main issue with the "Overpowered as a term only applies in a competitive setting" stance. It eliminates any discussion about how, like many single player games, the competition is the ruleset and objectives of the game itself. This is clearly the setting of modded Minecraft, or a billion other games. Yes, you can choose to do whatever you wish and it effects no one else - but that has nothing to do with providing an actual analysis of the balance of the mechanics provided by the designer.

As for the misguided MMO comparison, you asked where I got the idea, and I provided you the specific example. You spend the middle section of your editorial musing about grind, and don't provide any background on the mechanic itself. You perform a magical handwave about how "everyone" hates MMO grind and thus anything that resembles it shouldn't be in modded Minecraft. The fact that you choose to dismiss this criticism by way of contextual negligence is merely ironic.

If you think I'm defensive, I'd suggest that you are projecting. As the producer of the editorial, the onus is on you to defend it's content, not me. I'm merely giving you an opportunity to do so, and perhaps (yea, right!) accept that you may have had quite a bit of room for improvement.

I'm not arguing this with you anymore.

Or not.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Personal opinion here. He is a youtube personality. Why he is even here is beyond me as he has more important things to do. Again why anyone who puts effort into things would be around common populace is beyond me, and yes I am common populace. If he so chooses to not say anything that is fine.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Personal opinion here. He is a youtube personality. Why he is even here is beyond me as he has more important things to do. Again why anyone who puts effort into things would be around common populace is beyond me, and yes I am common populace. If he so chooses to not say anything that is fine.

I've always liked the idea of being a youtube personality. It's very easy to be successful.

a) make a plan on what you are saying
b) use positive emotive language on things you support and negative emotive language on things you dont
c) lie about old things if you can to reinforce your point, none of the subbing kids know either way
d) speak concisely and at a good pace
e) act like an authority, makes what you say seem reputable and also makes sheepish people naturally follow

If I could be bothered to fire up a recording and speak like I'm conducting presentations I do at work I'd probably do it. It's just too close to home for me to want to do that sort of thing when I get home. I see why a lot of other people do it though. It's really hard to call em out though, because you're going to have to put in similar effort to make yourself heard. A comment gets drowned out if they have enough rabid fans already.

Not that youtube personalities *have* to be this way. Just most are. Even the ones I enjoy watching, admittedly. I know I like a lot of AmazingAthiest? stuff, but I'd be lying if I didn't notice the blatant abuse of audience persuasion tactics.

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
Can we all please just stop talking to Enigmius1? Its obvious that despite his pretty words in his little video that he doesn't actually care to to have a discussion about this and will put down anyone who tries to take a view other then his. He's taking the exact same stance he complains about in his video only in reverse. Decrying people who like greg techs attempt to introduce balance and to up the difficulty for people who find modded minecraft way to easy as "people lacking in imagination". Does greg tech balancy things perfectly. Not even close but its at least an attempt. Besides this whole discussion on greg tech has nothing to do with what this thread was originally about.

To the original purpose of this thread: I like greg tech and I like greg tech hard mode but I do have to agree that the ultimate pack should have come with a different set of configs from mindcrack. I would have changed them myself but when you have such a pervasive mod, such a wide range of moods and opinions about it and changes to such a large portion of the game you should have multiple configs available to cater to all types of people from the people who like the tech but hate the external mod changes to the people who want the whole kit. Obviously in an ideal world a server owner would set what level mods like greg tech, and forestry and any other mod that has the option for multiple difficulty levels and when a client connected they would play by the rules set down by the server. Unfortunately minecraft doesn't work this way and was never designed to do so. Maybe someday that will change but for the time being we are stuck with config file sharing.

The next best thing would be a configuration selector drop down, maybe inside the "edit mod" panel where you could select the config package you wanted to use. Without knowing the prework that has gone into FTB and the way the deliver content its impossible to guess as to how hard this would be but I would be surprised if something like this wasn't already in the works.

Reactions: CrafterOfMines57

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Personal opinion here. He is a youtube personality. Why he is even here is beyond me as he has more important things to do.

That really presumes much about simply "youtube personalities"

Again why anyone who puts effort into things would be around common populace is beyond me, and yes I am common populace. If he so chooses to not say anything that is fine.

Why you would think "youtube personalities" are uncommon (with the implication of better) is beyond me. Why you think a content producer depending their income on providing entertainment wouldn't mix with the unwashed masses strikes me as shockingly naive.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
A more important discussion, I like your avatar. Is that warhammer? It sort of looks like a heavily modified necron or chaos space marine maybe..

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
He kinda does doesn't he :) But no he's from warmachine, a warcaster (general or HQ in warhammer parlance) named lich lord Asphyxious

Reactions: raiju

Aeslehc

Jul 29, 2019
He was unable to turn down the amount it burned for, only up. Yes, it does ruin the point of Scaffolds, but what are you gonna do?

Even then, there's the fact that any treefarm will give you infinite stuff to burn. It's not a HUGE deal to me anyways, but others may feel different.
If all the mod developers took the same view as Greg does "they want my mod, so I will do what I want to all the other mods so they fit with mine" we would have a huge mess, with each mod doing its best to overwrite each others recipes.

Greg needs to stop being so arrogant and stick to balancing his own mod, and when he sees a serious balance problem talk to the other mod developer and see if you can come to something that works for both... or, of course, fix his own mod, he could always refuse to burn scaffold in his own generators.

Reactions: RedBoss

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick aside to get onto the scaffold point... If he can use reflection (I still don't understand this and am not bothered enough to look it up either, it makes no difference to me) to change other mods recipies without actually editing their code, could he not do the same for scaffold? Maybe disable the creation of IC2 scaffold altogether and make Gregtech create its own scaffold which is exactly the same (16 per craft) but won't burn in anything? Just a thought.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe he can make it to where scaffold isn't that great when it comes to burning it? Like how Covert did so with blaze rods.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Its obvious that despite his pretty words in his little video that he doesn't actually care to to have a discussion about this and will put down anyone who tries to take a view other then his..

Actually that is not whats happening. Whats happening is a couple of guys replieing to Enigmius saying he said things he didnt say. When confronted by that fact they go into personal assault mode. When confronted by that we get comments like yours. Sad, realy.

Annyway, about the video, he should have explained unbalanced vs OP. Because alot of people claim things are OP when infact they are unbalanced. As in when something is so powerfull that something else becomes absolete. It isnt overpowered because annyone can use it. Realy curious what his point of view is on that actually :)

OT: I fully support easymode gregtech for ultimate. Even though I will probably still disable it altogether just like IC2 and all its addons. But! If said easymode was added I might not bother altering/disabling all the config files and actually leave it in.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I personally don't agree with what Enigmuis opinion is on his video but I admit he has good points. Again not everyone will be pleased with things but sometimes, again sometimes, they are a minority whereas the majority are pleased.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If all the mod developers took the same view as Greg does "they want my mod, so I will do what I want to all the other mods so they fit with mine" we would have a huge mess, with each mod doing its best to overwrite each others recipes.

Greg needs to stop being so arrogant and stick to balancing his own mod, and when he sees a serious balance problem talk to the other mod developer and see if you can come to something that works for both... or, of course, fix his own mod, he could always refuse to burn scaffold in his own generators.
I think working with the mod makers would be a really good idea.

Know how IC2 Nuclear Reactors can use RC steam when RC is installed? Something like that.
The mod makers really need to work together more. It could help de-polarize the community like this thread is showing.
Oh, you like Sengir but hate Greg? Oops! They work together now and have made a Forestry machine that can harvest IC2 crops.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
updated January 18, 2013, soo we're hopefully getting this soon :D
"Ability to select between multiple config options for individual mods: e.g. selecting between easy mode and hard mode Gregtech from within the launcher.
ETA: 3-4 Weeks"

Aeslehc

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, you like Sengir but hate Greg? Oops! They work together now and have made a Forestry machine that can harvest IC2 crops.
Not sure what Greg gas to do with IC2 crops or Forestry, or why Greg would be needed to to help IC2 and Forestry work together.