[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
i really dont know why you two are so picky on it, we have other methods that way more unbalanced that this, i found it interesting, on the case on konceptum, the modpack he is playing have only gt and ic2, so he dont have access to other forms of power gen or utilities . You even said it, solar is way more simple. I only see that as a step in power gen, since it dont provide that much power.
You're misinterpreting tone. I'm not "picky": I'm promoting discussion and stating preferences. One of my preferences is avoiding infinite power sources to a large extent (My base has NO automated tree farm for biofuel or charcoal/steam for instance)

I enjoy some projects. I don't enjoy some other projects. So I engage in interesting discussions with other people who are also sharing their preferences. This is one way we learn more about mods: sometimes I don't like a mechanism because I misunderstood it or failed to realize its full potential.

Are we good now?

usion is cool and stuff... but it is so far away and cost so much, that most people will not get that far. fusion is like saying that after you turn 100, you can eat at any restaurant and dont need to pay, it is great , but most people dont get that far.
Back to positive: I 100% agree. I've *never* gotten to fusion. I may never get to fusion. I always just start over from scratch once I have fission power.

C

codewarrior0

Exquisite Blue Sapphires can also be made into Lapotrons, but I usually smash them and use the Flawless ones instead. One Exquisite Diamond, Ruby, Jasper, or Red Garnet is needed for a mining laser. Which is mostly a lot of fun to use. Exquisite and Flawless Diamonds can be lathed into rods more efficiently for LP components. And of course normal Diamonds and Emeralds have myriad uses.

Other than that, most of the gems are pretty much useless. Sure, you can make the colored lenses for the Engraver, but IIRC the ones other than RGB (which I always make from Thaum shards anyway) are only used for making Buildcraft colored filter thingies, and even that is only an Infitech thing. The Diamond and Emerald dusts can be implosion compressed, but the rest will just be centrifuged and electrolyzed down to components. And the components aren't even that interesting - mostly Oxygen, Iron, Aluminum, Silicon, the most abundant elements in our own Earth's crust.

Reactions: asb3pe
T

targetingyou78

i really dont know why you two are so picky on it, we have other methods that way more unbalanced that this, i found it interesting, on the case on konceptum, the modpack he is playing have only gt and ic2, so he dont have access to other forms of power gen or utilities . You even said it, solar is way more simple. I only see that as a step in power gen, since it dont provide that much power.

all energy source irl produce less energy than what is used to make, just that most of it consume a high free energy that most people can harvest yet (sunlight).

fusion is cool and stuff... but it is so far away and cost so much, that most people will not get that far. fusion is like saying that after you turn 100, you can eat at any restaurant and dont need to pay, it is great , but most people dont get that far.

LHE is just something that uses the ic2 fluid reactor, it most of time is used to convert hot coolant in super heated steam, that run hp turbine and have a leftover to run steam turbine. You can use lava but should be a problem to get that much to run non stop , unless you are like blood aspen and have high effective bees to produce enough lava for it.

here is one example of the LHE setup.

http://imgur.com/a/h8n8t
This link is perfect. I was hoping someone would link to a setup. I am much much further away than I thought. I think I'm going to go ahead and start working on building up a large enough supply of titanium in order to get the diesel engine.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
There is another recipe for laptrons now. An exquisite blue sapphire + a lapis rod + an extreme etchings(platinum) makes a laptron crystal.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I did see that but I judged it to be a terrible recipe. :) I'd rather not use up Platinum, and also, you only get one Lapotron Crystal from each Exquisite sapphire. If you hammer the Exquisite into two Flawless Sapphires, you can make two Lapotron Crystals. That equation doesn't add up (in my opinion anyways) because you're trading away a Lapotron crystal AND using up valuable (rare) platinum, in exchange for saving some electrum. How is that a good recipe? Perhaps if you have infinite platinum and can afford to turn two Lapotron Crystals into one, then maybe it's a good recipe?

The ones containing aluminium and silicon I found very useful in my early game. I smashed a ton of these purely for electrolysis.

I have more aluminum dust than I know what to do with. And I barely ever need aluminum, I don't even bother to EBF aluminum dusts anymore, I just store em in a barrel and forget about them. Same with my "fluids", I have more oxygen and hydrogen than I can use and in fact I made TOO much of them because my max-size railcraft tanks are full to the top and I have no room to put excess which sucks. I went crazt with electrolyzing water because I thought I'd never have enough of the gas/fluids like oxygen and hydrogen and nitrogen and now I actually have too much of them. A nice problem to have, no doubt, but still a problem.

So bottom line is, I have no need to break the gems down for component materials, so I guess it's best (most efficient) to just put them in a barrel next to all my aluminum dusts and forget about them. Perhaps the silicon will always be useful, but what I'm finding is that I'm generating an excess of all raw materials now, thanks to the Advanced Miner II, so even silicon isn't in short supply anymore for me.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I did see that but I judged it to be a terrible recipe. :) I'd rather not use up Platinum, and also, you only get one Lapotron Crystal from each Exquisite sapphire. If you hammer the Exquisite into two Flawless Sapphires, you can make two Lapotron Crystals. That equation doesn't add up (in my opinion anyways).
Is platinum particularly valuable these days? I seem to recall swimming in the stuff in my last base. Shouldn't a single vein cover all your needs permanently?

C

codewarrior0

Platinum can go from incredibly precious to "rewire my entire base with it" depending on when you find that rare Sheldonite vein, or decide to process all of your Nickel ore in a Mercury bath using all of that Mercury you got from centrifuging Redstone for the Ruby Dust which you Electrolyzed for Chrome to make Stainless Steel so you can build those Distillation Towers and Gas Turbines in order to power all of those Centrifuges, Electrolyzers, and Chemical Baths.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is platinum particularly valuable these days? I seem to recall swimming in the stuff in my last base. Shouldn't a single vein cover all your needs permanently?

There are only two Overworld ore veins I haven't found yet. One is Platinum (thus my conservative views on that material at the moment), and the other (oddly) is Lapis Lazuli. And yet, despite no Lapis, I had already mined enough of it just from random small ores to make 64 Lapotron Crystals from 4 stacks of Lapis dust for the plates and 2 stacks of Lapis gems for the rods. Thankfully, Lapis is not one of the "must find" ore veins. However, finding a Platinum vein would be a big huge score. The problem is, I've done a few play-thrus of this modpack and never found one Platinum vein. In one of my play-thrus, I even used /cofh Clearblocks command to remove all the overworld, and STILL couldn't find any Platinum ores. It is ridiculously rare, so congrats if you found one Pyure. I bet most of us never do.

Reactions: Pyure

Zeyad_001

Mar 18, 2014
I get most of my platinum from nickel + mercury processing. It is not particularly rare considering how abundant nickel is. A etched wiring is 1/4 of a platinum ingot so you trading off a bit of platinum for 2 adv circuits/ data storage circuits. If you got bees and adv miner 2, the amount of gems yourll get from sifting and with the thousands of redstone from mining you can easily get platinum for all your needs.

Reactions: asb3pe

Zeyad_001

Mar 18, 2014
There are only two Overworld ore veins I haven't found yet. One is Platinum (thus my conservative views on that material at the moment), and the other (oddly) is Lapis Lazuli. And yet, despite no Lapis, I had already mined enough of it just from random small ores to make 64 Lapotron Crystals from 4 stacks of Lapis dust for the plates and 2 stacks of Lapis gems for the rods. Thankfully, Lapis is not one of the "must find" ore veins. However, finding a Platinum vein would be a big huge score. The problem is, I've done a few play-thrus of this modpack and never found one Platinum vein. In one of my play-thrus, I even used /cofh Clearblocks command to remove all the overworld, and STILL couldn't find any Platinum ores. It is ridiculously rare, so congrats if you found one Pyure. I bet most of us never do.

True I have did it several times and never found any platinum veins. Then again you would want a platinum vein for a source of osmium/iridium, I am used to large scale redstone processing for ruby dust for energy crystals

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I get most of my platinum from nickel + mercury processing. It is not particularly rare considering how abundant nickel is. A etched wiring is 1/4 of a platinum ingot so you trading off a bit of platinum for 2 adv circuits/ data storage circuits. If you got bees and adv miner 2, the amount of gems yourll get from sifting and with the thousands of redstone from mining you can easily get platinum for all your needs.

Good point, I did forget about the Advanced Circuits you don't need with that Platinum recipe, and that certainly changes the equation somewhat... but still not enough to make it a "good" recipe in my humble opinion. But not all recipes are equal, and perhaps that recipe does help those who DO have sufficient platinum for their needs, so I don't want to imply that we shouldn't have additional optional recipes for certain items. It's always great to have options.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Platinum can go from incredibly precious to "rewire my entire base with it" depending on when you find that rare Sheldonite vein, or decide to process all of your Nickel ore in a Mercury bath using all of that Mercury you got from centrifuging Redstone for the Ruby Dust which you Electrolyzed for Chrome to make Stainless Steel so you can build those Distillation Towers and Gas Turbines in order to power all of those Centrifuges, Electrolyzers, and Chemical Baths.
What's funny is normally I agree with you on the piles of Mercury, but in this world I processed all my Ruby with the SAG Mill. Much better Chrome ratio. But it means no Mercury (so now Cinnabar is a precious commodity for me oddly)

I seem to always find a Platinum vein, usually early too. There's one 100m from my base.

My rare vein is Naquadah. In all my playthroughs (and I've probably restarted this pack more than anybody) I've never seen a Naquadah vein.

U

UNG_God

1-You're misinterpreting tone. I'm not "picky": 2-I'm promoting discussion and stating preferences.3- One of my preferences is avoiding infinite power sources to a large extent (My base has NO automated tree farm for biofuel or charcoal/steam for instance)

1-maybe i am. 2 well i was kind of following the forum, until this point i dont recall anyone mention the rocket fuel way to generate power, so it was new to me.3 - so tell me about your finite power source... do you mine a coal vein and only burn that? because every other power gen on the pack has a way to generate more, even naquad. I want to know so i can avoid being stupid on the future.

Good point

i know you have posted a lot, but a simple question... are you now up to date with the version? i still recall the fuss that happened while ago with the version of the server being very outdated. most gems i dont bother to process. Aluminum in excess... did you started galacticraft? it really helps with on the excess of aluminum.

My rare vein is Naquadah.

well here only on asteroids , is where that vein can exist, so you might never see it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
1-maybe i am. 2 well i was kind of following the forum, until this point i dont recall anyone mention the rocket fuel way to generate power, so it was new to me.3 - so tell me about your finite power source... do you mine a coal vein and only burn that? because every other power gen on the pack has a way to generate more, even naquad. I want to know so i can avoid being stupid on the future.
My preferences are MY preferences; please don't subscribe to them because my preferences can be pretty weird. (Example: I don't build Hydrokinetics in Rotarycraft because I dislike the physics of 1 bucket = infinite power. I never, ever use Lava power.)

Right now I'm not doing anything particularly unusual. I'm tinkering with things I haven't used before, such as the new oil processing mechanisms. My base is 100% nitro diesel today. In a few days it will be strongly LPG and methane as well because those are byproducts of the same processing mechanism. In a week or two I'll be incorporating pulsing IC2 reactors. At some point I may incorporate Magic Energy Converters because I'm accumulating a ton of shards via the Adv. Miner 2 and I'm curious about how much potential energy I'm digging up.

well here only on asteroids , is where that vein can exist, so you might never see it.
Even in earlier versions when it spawned in the End I never found a vein, believe it or not. And I spent quite a while looking. Just terrible luck obviously.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
I dont get it. (I didn't watch seinfeld?)
The TV Show "Jerry Springer". A USA show where people would go to "advertise" their personnal life problems to the world and get into fights all the time. Don't ask me for more details as i didn't watch the show. Simply google it and you'll understand XD

Edit: Overall, the goal of that was simply to alleviate the tension :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The TV Show "Jerry Springer". A USA show where people would go to "advertise" their personnal life problems to the world and get into fights all the time. Don't ask me for more details. Simply google it and you'll understand XD
Oh right, now I remember. I avoided that crap like the plague. (In retrospect, that shizzle pre-dated so-called reality TV)

Me and Ung God aren't fighting. Its a communications issue. I watch all his videos. I like 34.2% of his posts. I correct his english. We're bros.