DW20 1.10 - Tinkers tools! What are you making?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

I love tinkers construct and it looks like things have been updated since the last DW20 pack.

I'd love to see what combinations people have been coming up with!

Post your best or most unusual tool combo's here "_

-Wuffle!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Steve's first Pick: Wood handle, Paper binding, Flint/Cobble head.
Upgrade head to Iron ASAP.
Obsidian Sharpening Kit once you get a chance.
Ultimately replace iron head with Cobalt.

Upgrade with Silk Touch, because I want redstone ore blocks to plant Red Orechids on. Redstone and Mending as well. One spare slot for more Redstone.

Hammer:
Head: Cobalt
Plate: Iron
Plate: Ardite
Rod: Ardite

Modifiers - Expansion Width, Expansion Height, Mending I
Knightslime may go through dirt relatively fast, however it doesn't consider Dirt to be a material to be used on, so your hammer will not remove extraneous dirt/gravel in the area of effect, and hitting dirt will just remove that one block, not the ones around it. Which is unfortunate. However, Petramor from the Ardite Rod keeps it largely in good repair.

Longsword:
Blade: Starts off with stone/flint, upgrades to Iron ASAP, then upgrades to Steel for the bleeding effect
Crossguard: Paper
Handle: Wood

Modifiers: Quartz, Lapis (because I'm always starved for enderpearls and blaze rods early game), Mending, and more Quartz

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I saw a message (tweet?) saying that all bow types are returning to TiCo soon... I'll be interested to see what changes are made to those! :D

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Just tossing in my 2c here for swords

Sword Blade = Silver (extra damage to undead, and most mobs are just that)
Guard = Netherack (for overworld fights, extra damage to non nether entities = cool)
Tool Rod = so far I'm just sticking with the wooden one, it works for now.

First add Lapis for Luck.. Damned Endermen and their non dropping pearls..... >.<
Then go for Quarts for sharpness.

TiCo seems to want us to make "the right tool for the right job" and you may have to make more than one sword/pick to deal with certain mobs/mining goals. I'm not totally opposed to this idea.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Great info here people, keep them coming.

In my googling around the internet, i came across this chap, who seems to know an awful lot about Tinkers Construct!
I had NO IDEA you could build some awesome tools without even building a Smeltery!

His YouTube name is 'Mischief of Mice' and he's posted some very good video guides to Tinkers Construct, definitely worth a watch.
I made - after quite a while in the Nether - the Cobalt hammer with Ardite handle, Redstone, Iron plate and Emerald, fast and uses iron for repairs

I am now looking around for a slime island.. so far no luck!

-Wuffle!

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Found this guys videos as well some weeks ago. Did the slime tools. and so far I do not see any reason to change them. Working godly.
Repais is easy as well, just grow a slime tree from time to time with some bonemeal and you will never have problems. Even the Iron is more expensive then that :)

Only for swords I think TC2 does requeire to have "the right tool for the right job" as @Cptqrk just said before. (Beheading for Wither heads , Looting for Blazerods and Enderpearls, Lifesteal/Dmg for boss fights, etc.)

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I usually don't go for a hammer until I've got a basic smeltery up and running, and since that's usually my first source of ore doubling it tends to be fairly early game for me.

I currently have two hammers:
The first is my usual mining special: It started off as Iron head, Green Slime Plate, Copper Plate, and Bronze Rod. Shortly after, Iron got replaced with Obsidian, and finally Cobalt. Iron for an early-game material with decent speed. Slime is mostly for easy repairing, copper because with Well Established I get mad xp with this thing, and bronze gives a nice handle modifier and saves durability. Obsidian helps with durability, and offers a slight improvement of mining speed. Cobalt offers the best mining speed, bumps the durability high enough to make a Blue Slime rod worth it, and by that point I'm usually swimming in slime. Two rounds of haste and max luck round this one out.

My second one is a more recent deal: The blast-o-matic. Bronze, Green Slime, Obsidian, and a Blue Slime rod. One course of blasting, one course of haste, and vertical extension. It's one and only purpose? quickly and efficiently clear out rooms.

Sword...I usually have two. One is my regular sword, which one varies but I go silver for the blade, copper for the guard, and bone for the handle. Sometimes this comes from an upgraded "basic sword though (stone or flint with wood) from my pre-smelter times.

The second is my beheading cleaver. In my current playthrough I went Manayulyn blade (damage), knightslime plate (damage and easier repair since I have a farm of purple slime trees), with obsidian (durability help) and blue slime (handle modifier) for the tough rods. Two courses of beheading and one course of luck for this one (a bit of experimenting suggested that the third one being luck gave me a slightly better head drop rate).

While we're on the subject of TiCon, has anyone played around with the bows/crossbows in the latest alpha of the mod? What are your thoughts? So far, mine is "Electrum is beast on bows, and it's damn good on the crossbow if you're willing to sacrifice an easier to get repair material".

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Actually, there's a cute trick using a hammer and pickaxe combo.

First off, your Hammer needs a Green Slime hammer head. You can have an iron plate if you want, but the other plate should also be green slime for the massive durability. For rod, you can just do wood. Your modifiers are going to be width, height, and redstone. Here's the trick: do *NOT* sharpen it. Trust me.

Now, your pickaxe. Sponge handle, cobalt head, cobalt binding. The big thing here is the sponge handle giving you 'free' silk touch and actually pretty darn good durability modifier. Because of silk touch, you can't get Lapis on it, but that just means you can put Repair II and Redstone on it for more speed.

Here's the combo: Branch mine using the hammer. You're going to be mining an enormous tunnel. When you hit ores, however, the hammer cannot mine them. This means you can swap out for your pick, and silk touch them for refining later.

S

StrommKral

Hammer, Squeaky, Dense, Slimey ,Fortified, & haste. Sponge,(found in loot chest), tough rod=silk touch. bronze plate & head, slime plate, sharpened with Obsidian, 150 redstone 60% haste,
sword, hellish, holy, poisonous, smite, luck 3, sharp, silver blade, netherrack rod, lead guard.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Fairly easy sword i made:

Blade: Prismarine, the lower the durability on the sword, the higher the damage. Had a 1100+ durability sword and when it was around 300-400 it added +7 attack damage.
Guard: Many, adds more damage to mbo with full health.
Tool Rod: Copper, give more xp for kills.

zedin

Jul 29, 2019
Manayulyn/Iron shuriken. 3 knife blades of Manayulyn and 1 of iron with iron being upper right. Gives me 7+ damage out the door with 71 ammo. Upgrades nicely with stacks of nether quartz and can be easily repaired with iron ingot (thus iron in upper right when making). Very accurate and can be tossed fast. Can even recover some of them. Two shots most mobs in world and nether. Mainly made it so I could not be killed by blazes all the time.