rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I kept running out of various mob drops. I got tired of getting them semi-manual, and didnt want to set something up just temporary. So work began on the remote research lab.

As some might remember, I had found an area that was ideal for something like this way back in the beginning of this world: https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...ide-collection-etc.42664/page-60#post-1689292

The mountain is extremely tall and for that isolated feel of the place, I decided that the only way to travel to and from is by air:
M86nnK2.png

Need both cargo and passenger crafts:
OMhtfGF.png

The terrain makes for some very interesting crossings:
ZRbPuC0.png

Watch your step! :p

Main and only entrance gate:
N2q9mDd.png

Inside:
ml1v2c0.png

Straight ahead is a cargo elevator(purely cosmetic) and to the left of it an elevator for personnel.

Taking the elevator up to the living area:
8Ydlpes.png

Food, some entertainment and views of the surrounding terrain.

This floor also contains sleeping quarters for more permanent staff:
Ha1rrv6.png

taWO4Dr.png

Taking the elevator down instead bring us to the labs:
QIR5gkE.png

Due to "new" mob spawn mechanics, causing mobs to despawn instantly if no players in range, I ended up putting the labs in a separate dimension. I used RFTools teleporters placed under Openblocks Elevators to make the transition almost seamless. Much like I have done in the past using Mystcraft portals.

The lab level is 3/4 of a "circle":
QEX7mWU.png

The middle pillar houses the elevators. Around that is a corridor, giving excellent observation the labs below. Here it is the "weapons and armour" lab.

Going clockwise, a Cursed Earth farm:
dJfySQp.png

MFR grinders and light to toggle it all(controlled by a ME Fluid Emitter).

The computer lab:
KDeJOMK.png

Houses the Quantum link connecting the lab to the main base, as well as several other ME devises and terminals.

Next the autospawning room:
KdeeaBd.png

Nothing new here. The same MFR autospawner with ME and CC controls that I have now used several times. Using EIO Killer Joes this time however for faster killing and better loot(Looting enchanted swords).

Lastly the "medical research lab":
d1zOk2M.png

or whatever name describes it better :p

Experimenting with victims of the Zombie virus:
Iq2xfOZ.png

In the background I tried to incoorporate the mechanism for the MFR autospawner into the lab. Managed to get rid of the ugly double chest by using Storage Drawers Controller+Controller Slaves.

And of course: Holding pens for the various lab specimens:
p9CjpYO.png

The "gate" and the things behind it are purely cosmetic to make the facility look bigger :p

I might actually expand the labs with another floor. I need a place to house Thaumcraft if I decide to do it. Might be the best place to house it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Back at base the main tower is finally finished(on the outside):
P7WHfnv.png

Now that a I have this entire tower, I realised that I dont even have a "home". Just a bed among a pile of chests on a random unfinished floor. Time to rectify that!

And where better to build a home than a penthouse at the top of the tower:
OYtYe9l.png

Arriving with the elevator:
Qg81eqw.png

Kitchen:
6vhU8MZ.png

Dining area with a good view of the gardens/farms:
4uPdsZA.png

After dinner kick back on the couch in front of the TV:
QkC8Z96.png

Pretty sure that screen had to be skylifted in...

Get a drink at the bar:
9TT649E.png

Upstairs:
26mmwPy.png

Lounge area at the top of the stairs. Perfect for watching the sunset )over the mountains if I could chunkload that far:p).

Which penthouse is complete without an indoor floating pool?
SkanCXh.png

Office for keeping up with work:
KweRFpz.png

Bedroom:
3wmy3dB.png

I used the Natura Obelisk to set my spawn point, without having to use an ugly standard bed.

And of course a bathroom:
dhGz6bu.png

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
I get more and more self conscious about my own builds every time I see yours :p I strive to be able to build awesome stuff like this one day! Lol

D

DireChyymeras

great to see another update :D , you considered joining the 1.10 train at some point (not to rush you on this project)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How did you do the zombie with no arms and it's head cut open?? And is there somewhere in this thread that lists all the mods you're playing with?
The zombies are CustomNPCs. It adds the textures for those by default. Then I just set them to lie down and have no animations. Using the same for the mobs in the enclosures, which hopefully saves a bit of processing on mob AI.

Hmm I never really posted a full list myself, but posted here what I removed/added from the Nuts and Bolts pack: https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...ide-collection-etc.42664/page-60#post-1689270
You can find the mods list of the pack here: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/nuts-and-bolts-alpha.561420/mods

great to see another update :D , you considered joining the 1.10 train at some point (not to rush you on this project)
At some point, yes. But at the moment there are still several mods missing that would be gamebreakers for me. And I prefer to wait till most the bugs are ironed out anyway ;)

And dont see being finished with the current world any time soon ;)

Last edited:

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
jesus man, I'm off the forums for a few months and... Love the tower and the lab. Are those accents (faucets, knobs, etc.) decocraft? and the chairs. I'm over here so jelly. If you tell me you did that in C&B I'm going to be awestruck.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
jesus man, I'm off the forums for a few months and... Love the tower and the lab. Are those accents (faucets, knobs, etc.) decocraft? and the chairs. I'm over here so jelly. If you tell me you did that in C&B I'm going to be awestruck.
They are from Decocraft ;)

Still in 1.7.10 so don't have C&B. But I am using Armourers Workshop to do something similar for a few items. Like the pipes, keycard readers, security cameras, cargo crates etc. in the Lab.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
that's awesome man... I have to step up my build :p

Also did not know you had twitch :p Looking forward to broadcasts,