Building My Own Computer (HELP!)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Is This CPU Future-Proof AND Good For FTB?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
One thing... if you're not planning on overclocking at all, then the stock heatsink/fan that comes with a retail (i.e. not a OEM) is plenty adequate, and you can save yourself a little money (or use the savings towards an SSD)
So in human terms this means what? Lower the grade of the fan? And if so which one? Thanks for the help![DOUBLEPOST=1363528813][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be honest, that cpu is not going to be utilised to it's full potential. I recommend dropping down to perhaps a i5 3550 and getting a much better graphics card (Especially if running certain Adobe software).
My current setup has a i5 3450 and a GTX 670. Runs games very nicely. Even exporting is much faster due to CUDA.
CUDA?

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, that cpu is not going to be utilised to it's full potential. I recommend dropping down to perhaps a i5 3550 and getting a much better graphics card (Especially if running certain Adobe software).
My current setup has a i5 3450 and a GTX 670. Runs games very nicely. Even exporting is much faster due to CUDA.
This would save money if we were talking about AMD CPU's however seeing as we are talking about intel(The only CPU worth buying imho) there really isn't That big of a difference in price. Also if he is doing photoshop and/or video editing an i7 really is worth investing in. As far as gaming the 3770k is pretty much the same as an i5 3570k however when doing editing the i7 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
your pc is a nice build right now but in a few years it'll be a bit lacking.

I'd say if you are doing so little with your pc an SSD is a great idea, personally. Your processor will be ok for a few years. The GFX card is good right now but also not future proof.

Personally I store a lot of things so I got 2TB on my latest pc to be "future proof", but skipped the SSD since I play different games quite often, didn't want to buy a 500+ space as that would've upped my pc's cost by over 50%, and can't be bothered switching my SSD files every few weeks.

Also you can get a slightly stronger pre-built PC from dell than what DZcreeper linked for £500~ which should be similar figure to the $800. I got an I7-3770k, 12 gb ram, nvidia gtx 670 2gig (don't like amd's after my old pc had a lot of problems due to the card on some games, but they should be fine for minecraft), 2 tb (personal preference, after 3 months I've already used about 600gig after using 50gig on the fresh setup),

You can use an I5 if budget is an issue with gaming pc, but if you are playing games which utilize CPU then it's just as important (and often more unless the game are brand new graphics strainers, i.e. you are buying new games 3 years from now) as the GPU. Memory is a basic.

Simply put it sounds like an SSD would be the perfect thing for you. I'd also warn that if you play any ports - although it doesn't sound like you will - I would hold off on the windows 8. Not all the driver updates are out yet.

PCPuddin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if there is a american "laptops direct" but I got a brilliant monitor there for only about £110

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
As far as gaming the 3770k is pretty much the same as an i5 3570k however when doing editing the i7 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
This is important, the i7 is a good bit more expensive, but rarely ever utilised. Only and only get it if you're using very, very CPU-intensive applications that are multi-threaded (not games). This includes image and video editing (proper photoshop with large images) or transcoding video, like converting an entire Blu-ray quality video from one format to another. Otherwise, getting an i7 is a waste of money.

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the GTX 650 is a bottleneck, I would recommend getting a 660 or 670 if you have a lot of extra money. Also do you really need an I7? An I5 should be more than you need.
ASUS is one of the best motherboard brands you can get I highly recommend getting a Z77.
Now lets go into monitors, you can find one for about 100$ just google Refurbished Led LCD and then look at the ones in your price range. Make sure you research the monitor before you buy it!
You can get a 1-2T hard drive for under 100$ there is a small price difference.
Blaize9 - Tapatalk

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
ASUS is one of the best motherboard brands you can get I highly recommend getting a Z77.
Ditto. Though, unless a lot cheaper, go for the P8Z77 versions, not for the Sabertooth. The latter looks better but the former a much better heatsink design instead of putting it underneath that plastic cover. Performance-wise, they're nigh-identical, though. There are also several version of the board with/without integrated WiFi, with/without extra SATA ports for more hard drives and so on.

Edit: Also consider your case choice. A good case has good ventilation and/or is quiet and makes it easier to install stuff in it. THe one you picked is... well, nothing special (I will refrain from any comment regarding aesthetics, whether positive or negative). Which might be fine for you, but perhaps not. Just know what you want.

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
Ditto. Though, unless a lot cheaper, go for the P8Z77 versions, not for the Sabertooth. The latter looks better but the former a much better heatsink design instead of putting it underneath that plastic cover. Performance-wise, they're nigh-identical, though. There are also several version of the board with/without integrated WiFi, with/without extra SATA ports for more hard drives and so on.
I've always had problems with integrated WiFi cards & Bluetooth, you can save money and avoid problems getting one without it.

Get a good quality case, don't go cheap!!! I've made this mistake before you must learn from it.(I spent a total of around 300$ for one computer in cases)

Edit: you can get a good WiFi card/USB for about 20$.

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
I've always had problems with integrated WiFi cards & Bluetooth, you can save money and avoid problems getting one without it.
I'm currently using the version with the integrated WiFi. It works very well for me, especially since it comes with a rather neat external antenna. However, I'd always recommend not going for WiFi and using a normal network connection via cable, always superior (I'm just stuck in rather annoying accommodation for the time being with the managers to stingy to put in a decent network infrastructure).

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently using the version with the integrated WiFi. It works very well for me, especially since it comes with a rather neat external antenna. However, I'd always recommend not going for WiFi and using a normal network connection via cable, always superior (I'm just stuck in rather annoying accommodation for the time being with the managers to stingy to put in a decent network infrastructure).
That external antenna sounds like it made a big difference, wish I had one in
Mine.
Also I guess it really depends on where your computer is in relation to your router.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
your pc is a nice build right now but in a few years it'll be a bit lacking.

I'd say if you are doing so little with your pc an SSD is a great idea, personally. Your processor will be ok for a few years. The GFX card is good right now but also not future proof.

Personally I store a lot of things so I got 2TB on my latest pc to be "future proof", but skipped the SSD since I play different games quite often, didn't want to buy a 500+ space as that would've upped my pc's cost by over 50%, and can't be bothered switching my SSD files every few weeks.

Also you can get a slightly stronger pre-built PC from dell than what DZcreeper linked for £500~ which should be similar figure to the $800. I got an I7-3770k, 12 gb ram, nvidia gtx 670 2gig (don't like amd's after my old pc had a lot of problems due to the card on some games, but they should be fine for minecraft), 2 tb (personal preference, after 3 months I've already used about 600gig after using 50gig on the fresh setup),

You can use an I5 if budget is an issue with gaming pc, but if you are playing games which utilize CPU then it's just as important (and often more unless the game are brand new graphics strainers, i.e. you are buying new games 3 years from now) as the GPU. Memory is a basic.

Simply put it sounds like an SSD would be the perfect thing for you. I'd also warn that if you play any ports - although it doesn't sound like you will - I would hold off on the windows 8. Not all the driver updates are out yet.

So your i7, 12GB, and NVIDIA 670, and your HDD/SSD costed how much?
If it costed £500 PLEASE give me a link

And about the processor I only plan on playing MC and no other CPU games... So yea I THINK an i5 would work...

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
That external antenna sounds like it made a big difference, wish I had one in
Mine.
Also I guess it really depends on where your computer is in relation to your router.
My router is down stairs, and based on what my CPU is RIGHT now (In the OP) would it work with wireless internet...And btw I have this thing plugged into the back of my current computer some linksys thing that I guess is for wireless internet...

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
So your i7, 12GB, and NVIDIA 670, and your HDD/SSD costed how much?
If it costed £500 PLEASE give me a link

And about the processor I only plan on playing MC and no other CPU games... So yea I THINK an i5 would work...
1T HardDrive - 70$ £53
2T HardDrive - 100$ £76

128gb SSD SATA III 6 Gb/sec - ~100$ £76
256gb SSD SATA III 6 Gb/sec - ~160$ £120

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
The exact deal I used no longer exists (they had a £150 discount on a load when I was shopping and then I added a voucher on top - free delivery too), but hopefully this link works as an example:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-8500/pd?oc=d00x8530&model_id=xps-8500

This build way overshoots what you were expecting (I don't think you'll ever need that much ram before you're looking at a replacement personally), so currently this is at the unfortunately high price of £749. If you keep an eye out a more suitable build with an SSD will pop up (or you could get it added yourself if you get a nice guy on the CS line, they used to offer this service as policy) on a much much cheaper model and save yourself £200~ on the wasted specs.

from http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/dell
"£80 off any XPS 8500 Desktop over £699 using coupon code @ Dell"

http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/dell.co.uk
Added 14th March 2013, Expires 20th March 2013, 3 Days Left!
£100 off XPS 8500 Desktop Over £799 at Dell

etc. The voucher I got knocked off £125, maybe I just got lucky but I can easily see you getting what you're looking for below £500 with a bit of patience. It also gives you the customer support if you aren't a techie (I am a techie but the last thing I want to do when I get home is troubleshoot my own pc)

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
You're gonna need to borrow a couple computers from M.I.T. if you want to play minecraft with no lag.

Reactions: Saice

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
I have an IbuyPower and I don't get good fps :(

They are notorious for swapping out selections. For instance you choose a gtx card, you will get a gt, you swap out for ripjaw ram, you are getting the econo stuff, yet they still charge you as if they used the things you chose.

I ordered this:

(AMD FX-6300 CPU) 3.5ghz.

(16GB G.Skill Ripjaws)

(1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)

(NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card)

They sent me some junk Radeon card, they also skimped on the ram.

I had to chase them for a few weeks before they agreed to send me the correct stuff.

Only cost me $700 though, so in the end it was worth it. I might need to upgrade the cooling though. Seems to run a little hot. Kinda figured that though when I was buying it.

Reactions: Guswut

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
They are notorious for swapping out selections. For instance you choose a gtx card, you will get a gt, you swap out for ripjaw ram, you are getting the econo stuff, yet they still charge you as if they used the things you chose.

Also the QA is a joke. My wife order a PC before we got married. Man they messed up everything. Half the cases extra ports and indicator lights were not even hooked up. One of the fans was not plugged in. And the SLIs switch on the MOBO was truned off.

Yeah will not use them ever again.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
BTW: Don't forget to check newegg as some great deals often pop up there. Such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227438R&IsVirtualParent=1

That computer has an nvidia 660, 16 gigs of RAM plus I believe it's a hybrid hard drive. It mentions 500 gig 7200 but in the same line says 120 gig SSD.

Note: My expertise isn't really buying pre-built PCs, it's building them. You can usually save a bit of money that way, but lose a lot of tech support. Still, neweggs return policies are awesome.

Reactions: Chocorate