Problem Friends can't join my server

Kaspar87

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
This if my first time making a FTB / Minecraft server. I have done everything right, but my friends can't join the server using my external IP. It gives them the error: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information:

Things I have done:
- Forward the ports (also checked if they are open and indeed, they are)
- Disable my firewall.
- Allow port 25565 through windows firewall.
- Added the IP to server-ip in properties, and also left it blank (server crashed when I added the IP to the properties)

Any help is welcome!

P

Pashweetie

I'm having the same problem. Are you able to use your external ip to connect to your own server or only localhost/your ipv4 address?

E

EODCrafter

server-properties online = true, port 25565, ip address = blank, what are your players trying to connect with? Did you give them your home IP as in Google {Whatsmyip}

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
If the players can ping your server to get to the point where they are connecting and timing out then port forwarding is confirmed working.

Things to check then would be:
- Your internet upload speed
- Your server performance, low memory can cause timeouts for example - any issues connecting locally?

On an unrelated note, if you are hosting from home for any length of time, you might want to check out some of the free subdomain and dynamic dns services that are available these days such as https://freedns.afraid.org/. That way you can give your server a cool domain name to hand out to your friends and if you have a dynamic IP as is common on residential connections dynamic DNS will automatically update the domain so you don't have to manually update your friends every time.

An alternative to the above is LogMeIn Hamachi, which is easy to use and eliminates to need to do port forwarding or dynamic dns.

A

aughen

One suggestion to make sure your ports are set up correctly is to use canyouseeme .org put in you external ip and minecraft port with the server up, if it cannot see you Your router ports are not setup correctly

Kaspar87

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for taking so long. Didn't want to play FTB for a month and now im back with the server problem. I have tried to find a solution for so long and haven't still found anything. Starting to think it may be a problem in my router.

I'm having the same problem. Are you able to use your external ip to connect to your own server or only localhost/your ipv4 address?

I am only able to connect with localhost and IPv4 address, can't use external IP.

If the players can ping your server to get to the point where they are connecting and timing out then port forwarding is confirmed working.

Things to check then would be:
- Your internet upload speed
- Your server performance, low memory can cause timeouts for example - any issues connecting locally?

On an unrelated note, if you are hosting from home for any length of time, you might want to check out some of the free subdomain and dynamic dns services that are available these days such as https://freedns.afraid.org/. That way you can give your server a cool domain name to hand out to your friends and if you have a dynamic IP as is common on residential connections dynamic DNS will automatically update the domain so you don't have to manually update your friends every time.

An alternative to the above is LogMeIn Hamachi, which is easy to use and eliminates to need to do port forwarding or dynamic dns.

My upload speed is 4-7 Mbs, should be enough for a minecraft server. I am using the default memory settings for the server. I haven't used hamachi, because people have said it makes the server laggy. I am probably going to try it.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
You don't need to use hamachi and I sort of don't recommend it. Obviously you did setup the server correctly because you connect to it via local host. Have you also tried the internal network IP address of the server and can you connect to that. Typically it would start with 192.168. If that is working the next place to double check is your port forwards in your router. Make sure it using the internal IP address of the server in the port forward. I think you only need TCP. But you can also try both.

Then make sure to give your friends your external IP address. Goto https://whatismyip.org and it will tell you what that address is. If this still doesn't work it may be your ISP is blocking certain in bound connections. You may need to check with them.

Oh also one last thing do you have both a modem and router? If so you may need to configure the modem as well. Since most of them are also routers now. Usually you can put them in a bypass mode or also program a port forward on it as well.

Reactions: EODCrafter