Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
In Unstable for 1.10.2, what machines other than the IC2 pump can collect liquid?

Also, does the pack have any machines that converts RF to EU? (I know advanced generators can produce one or the other, but looking for a converter so I don't have to run separate power systems.) I could've sworn I saw something a few days ago but I don't remember.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Is there any mod or mods for Forge that can be used to create an experience that people running Bukkit and Cauldron servers get with "Essentials"+"Vault"+"Fe Economy"+"QuickShop" ?

I've been looking for about a month now and have to admit that it seems my Google-fu is not up to the challenge, as everything I've found is either outdated or doesn't offer the coverage.

ForgeEssentials + Universal Coins. ;)

Sent from a phone running tapatalk OS

FTB Utilities will probably help too(chunk claiming, chunkloading, friends, the guide book for rules)

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
In Unstable for 1.10.2, what machines other than the IC2 pump can collect liquid?

Also, does the pack have any machines that converts RF to EU? (I know advanced generators can produce one or the other, but looking for a converter so I don't have to run separate power systems.) I could've sworn I saw something a few days ago but I don't remember.

I'm unable to find a list of mods that I can access right now for the Unstable pack, but in general RF to EU conversion can be done using either Immersive Engineering wires and relays or Ender IO capacitor banks.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Is there a mod or mods for Forge that can be used to create an experience that people running Bukkit and Cauldron servers get with "Essentials"+"Vault"+"Fe Economy"+"QuickShop" ?

I've been looking for about a month now and have to admit that it seems my Google-fu is not up to the challenge, as everything I've found is either outdated or doesn't offer the coverage.
I know for a fact that this will not answer your question, but Forestry has a mail system that can be used for at least some of those purposes. Each player would need a mailbox and a supply of letters and stamps, all of which are craftable. Any players wishing to sell items would need a Trade Station, which itself requires a supply of letters, stamps, and the items being sold. Players wishing to buy items can address a letter to the trade station with a payment attached (configured in the trade station itself), and the station will send them a letter containing the item bought that will appear in the buyer's mailbox. All stamps used will be destroyed, unless there's a Stamp Collector block somewhere (not craftable), in which case they will appear there.

A bit clunky, sure, and most of the necessary blocks and items require bee products if not Minetweaker'd otherwise... but it works.

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm unable to find a list of mods that I can access right now for the Unstable pack, but in general RF to EU conversion can be done using either Immersive Engineering wires and relays or Ender IO capacitor banks.

That should work then, EnderIO is in the Unstable pack. If you happen to look and find out about alternate liquid-gathering machines in Unstable, that would be useful too (though I suppose an IC pump with Pressure Pipes would work for what I'm planning).

D

dshadowwolf

I know for a fact that this will not answer your question, but Forestry has a mail system that can be used for at least some of those purposes. Each player would need a mailbox and a supply of letters and stamps, all of which are craftable. Any players wishing to sell items would need a Trade Station, which itself requires a supply of letters, stamps, and the items being sold. Players wishing to buy items can address a letter to the trade station with a payment attached (configured in the trade station itself), and the station will send them a letter containing the item bought that will appear in the buyer's mailbox. All stamps used will be destroyed, unless there's a Stamp Collector block somewhere (not craftable), in which case they will appear there.

A bit clunky, sure, and most of the necessary blocks and items require bee products if not Minetweaker'd otherwise... but it works.

Yeah, not what I was looking for at all... Forestry was in an early version of the pack I'm using/building and got pulled after several testers complained about it not playing well with the rest of the pack. This was before I started using Minetweaker to enhance inter-op, but even there... it'd be a lot of work to get all the problems people had with Forestry solved.

In the mean-time, I'm still left with no player-driven economy unless I run a KCauldron server :)

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine has this fog option that gets the fog near a player, even with higher render distances (it's noticeable with render distance on 8; compared to vanilla the fog is much closer).

I wanted to know if this is strictly an Optfine thing, or if there's a way to get this awesome fog to work by default, or something.

Thank you

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine has this fog option that gets the fog near a player, even with higher render distances (it's noticeable with render distance on 8; compared to vanilla the fog is much closer).

I wanted to know if this is strictly an Optfine thing, or if there's a way to get this awesome fog to work by default, or something.

Thank you
Pure optifine thing... cannot be changed in vanilla.

Reactions: Ashendale

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So... the "Curse(d) Experience" has motivated me to eliminate them as "middleman" when trying to run Minecraft. I have no need for Curse, so it's time to learn how to mod Minecraft by myself without their help.

This is what I did:
Downloaded Forge and followed a tutorial on how to set up my own server. Due to mod selection, I wish to run Minecraft v1.7.10 only.
Ran Minecraft with only the Forge mod installed, and did Multiplayer/"Direct Connect" to my own IPv4 address. I appeared in the world, and everything seemed to be running perfectly, so I shut it down.
Went to Curse directory and copied the contents of the "mods" folder over to my ForgeServer "mods" folder.
Started up the Forge jar to get the console window open, then tried to run Minecraft but it failed with a ton of mod errors

Question #1: Do I need to make a server and "Direct Connect" to it if all I plan to do is play SSP alone, offline?
Question #2: Where is the save file for the world that appeared when I connected to my own server? I couldn't find it. I never created, nor named, a world! So how did that happen, and where is it?
Question #3: When I copied all the mod .jar files over, what did I do wrong?

If there's a good tutorial on how to set up modded SSP, you could just post that instead of responding with a long-winded reply. I think I'm close to my goal to eliminate the Curse(d) middleman but I'm still a noob at this stuff (which is why Curse does have some redeeming values since my modpack with 100 mods ran just fine when Curse set it up for me).

D

dshadowwolf

So... the "Curse(d) Experience" has motivated me to eliminate them as "middleman" when trying to run Minecraft. I have no need for Curse, so it's time to learn how to mod Minecraft by myself without their help.

This is what I did:
Downloaded Forge and followed a tutorial on how to set up my own server. Due to mod selection, I wish to run Minecraft v1.7.10 only.
Ran Minecraft with only the Forge mod installed, and did Multiplayer/"Direct Connect" to my own IPv4 address. I appeared in the world, and everything seemed to be running perfectly, so I shut it down.
Went to Curse directory and copied the contents of the "mods" folder over to my ForgeServer "mods" folder.
Started up the Forge jar to get the console window open, then tried to run Minecraft but it failed with a ton of mod errors

Question #1: Do I need to make a server and "Direct Connect" to it if all I plan to do is play SSP alone, offline?
Question #2: Where is the save file for the world that appeared when I connected to my own server? I couldn't find it. I never created, nor named, a world! So how did that happen, and where is it?

If there's a good tutorial on how to set up modded SSP, you could just post that instead of responding with a long-winded reply. I think I'm close to my goal to eliminate the Curse(d) middleman but I'm still a noob at this stuff (which is why Curse does have some redeeming values since my modpack with 100 mods ran just fine when Curse set it up for me).

Answer to #1: You have the Forge client - as long as you are not relying on any server-side mods, that is all you need. No server needed at all. (I used this for testing the integration of mods in my own mod-pack)
Answer to #2: In 'server.properties' you gave a world-name, this is where all data about that world goes. In a similar manner, you'll have a 'saves' directory in your '.minecraft' directory (%APPDATA%/Roaming/.minecraft on Win7 and later, IIRC) when you play a purely single-player, offline game.
Answer to #3: Some mods are server-only, some mods are client-only and some mods will cause error-spew regardless. In some cases this is because of a missing data file, in others because the mod is trying to check an update site and being denied and in yet others it is because the mod is trying to download a support library (like commons-codec) and failing. Unless the game itself crashes out - you'll wind up seeing the server restart over and over or getting the "dirt" screen with an error message in the client - you can ignore the error spew.

DRH

Reactions: asb3pe

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019

This is what I did:

For ssp, I'd just use MultiMC to be honest.

1: nope, the minecraft client runs its own invisible server when you play singleplayer anyway, so you only need to configure one minecraft instance - your client.
2: I can't remember the default world name off the top of my head, but its probably just "World". The server folder doesn't have a 'saves' folder, it just puts a folder where the .jar is, with the name of the world, and stores all the save info in there. You can even just copy that folder into a client's 'saves' folder, and itll work in local singleplayer
3: if the server (or client) is crashing with errors you'll probably have to start looking through the config files or mod list. It's likely all your mods wont launch faultlessly the first time around.
e.g there could be a potion or biome id conflict that could cause a crash (although those id conflicts dont always crash minecraft).
You could also be missing dependency mods, though in this case it's unlikely since you just copied a (working?) mod-list to the instance.
I'd copy the 'config' folder off the working instance too, if you're happy with the configs that are there. The existing configs should include fixes for initial incompatibilities

If you installed the 'recommended' forge, try the latest one, some mods require it.

Otherwise, take a look at the crash log. I know if I start to make a pack from scratch (or from taking the mods from another pack and wiping the config files to get defaults), I generally have to go through the process of starting minecraft, letting it crash, reading the log for the error and fixing whatever it said, a few times at least. I went through this process after deriving a pack from the mods in FTB infinity and the direwolf20 packs a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: asb3pe
D

dshadowwolf

Is there a way to share Agricraft seed book information between players?

Maybe? I don't know that I actually tested it, but before I pulled most of the mods that AgriCraft really boosted from my personal mod-pack there were three of us sharing one set of fields and the seed book stayed in place on the analyzer.

I am not sure if it actually shared the information or not - at that time there was only one player actively pushing AgriCraft forward. It would not be difficult for me to get together with some of my testers and actually give this a try for a definitive answer. (I would, however, suggest waiting for a new(er) version of Agricraft to be released or building a copy from the source yourself - there are a couple of bugs that have been fixed, including one which causes Agricraft to happily ignored a config setting.)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
For ssp, I'd just use MultiMC to be honest.

1: nope, the minecraft client runs its own invisible server when you play singleplayer anyway, so you only need to configure one minecraft instance - your client.
2: I can't remember the default world name off the top of my head, but its probably just "World". The server folder doesn't have a 'saves' folder, it just puts a folder where the .jar is, with the name of the world, and stores all the save info in there. You can even just copy that folder into a client's 'saves' folder, and itll work in local singleplayer
3: if the server (or client) is crashing with errors you'll probably have to start looking through the config files or mod list. It's likely all your mods wont launch faultlessly the first time around.
e.g there could be a potion or biome id conflict that could cause a crash (although those id conflicts dont always crash minecraft).
You could also be missing dependency mods, though in this case it's unlikely since you just copied a (working?) mod-list to the instance.
I'd copy the 'config' folder off the working instance too, if you're happy with the configs that are there. The existing configs should include fixes for initial incompatibilities

If you installed the 'recommended' forge, try the latest one, some mods require it.

Otherwise, take a look at the crash log. I know if I start to make a pack from scratch (or from taking the mods from another pack and wiping the config files to get defaults), I generally have to go through the process of starting minecraft, letting it crash, reading the log for the error and fixing whatever it said, a few times at least. I went through this process after deriving a pack from the mods in FTB infinity and the direwolf20 packs a couple weeks ago.

@asb3pe, a couple of suggestions...

1) generate a list of all the mods you want to use, and then research the following:

a) Is it a client only, server only or a mod requiring both client and server?
A properly equipped system can run a separate server using IP 127.0.0.1 for IPv4 or ::1/128 for IPv6 (There's no place like home!), then you can use any combination. Also, you could assign a "real" address and allow others in your Lan to play too.

b) check what Forge version is needed for each mod. Sometimes mods require older versions and others require newer ones. Be prepared for incompatibilities and alternate choices.

I think that world backups on the client side are handled by FtB Tweaks and/or Utilities now, and I don't know if they are stand-alone client or need a server component, but before that they used Aroma Backups. This you will want to configure as I think by default it created a backup every 30 minutes!

Good luck! Oh, remember to Rinse and Repeat the above steps to update mods, Forge or Minecraft itself.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks for all the helpful posts, I'm now using MultiMC because I love programs that help us to organize.

I've reached the point where I've got a 1.7.10 Minecraft with only Forge. I chose "latest Forge" instead of "recommended", but not sure if that's a good idea or not. The "latest" is four versions ahead of the "recommended".

Now I'm ready to begin the task of installing mods, and I have a big folder of mod jars that I downloaded thru Curse. It's a lengthy list indeed.

So my question... MultiMC has separate tabs for "Loader Mods" and "Core Mods". How do I know which mods are loader, which are core, and which are just regular plain old mods? And where do the "regular plain old mod" jars go in MultiMC? There's no tab for that. However, in the MultiMC folder on my hard drive, there are separate folders for "coremods" and "mods" (which I assume is the "regular plain old mods" location).

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks for all the helpful posts, I'm now using MultiMC because I love programs that help us to organize.

I've reached the point where I've got a 1.7.10 Minecraft with only Forge. I chose "latest Forge" instead of "recommended", but not sure if that's a good idea or not. The "latest" is four versions ahead of the "recommended".

Now I'm ready to begin the task of installing mods, and I have a big folder of mod jars that I downloaded thru Curse. It's a lengthy list indeed.

So my question... MultiMC has separate tabs for "Loader Mods" and "Core Mods". How do I know which mods are loader, which are core, and which are just regular plain old mods? And where do the "regular plain old mod" jars go in MultiMC? There's no tab for that. However, in the MultiMC folder on my hard drive, there are separate folders for "coremods" and "mods" (which I assume is the "regular plain old mods" location).
As from 1.7.10 onwards, all mods go to the mods dir, Thanks to forge.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only method that makes sense to me is to install one mod at a time, and run Minecraft to see if there are any problems. But with the list of mods I have, well over 100 mods, that's gonna take quite some time to do - very tedious indeed. But if I just dump a ton of mods in and run Minecraft, the error list will be such a jumble I'll be lost.

Also, am I going to have to make a lot of changes to cofiguration files? How will I learn about what settings to change, just by trial and error and based on experience?

My goal here is to have a v1.7.10 modpack that I can run until the end of time, with no need to worry about any updates. It will be a truly standalone modded minecraft experience without any need for a secondary launcher such as FTB which will someday no longer operate, or such as Curse which is loaded down with all sorts of social crap I just do not want or need. I hope I can achieve my goals!

E

eneKusho

I think the only method that makes sense to me is to install one mod at a time, and run Minecraft to see if there are any problems. But with the list of mods I have, well over 100 mods, that's gonna take quite some time to do - very tedious indeed. But if I just dump a ton of mods in and run Minecraft, the error list will be such a jumble I'll be lost.

Also, am I going to have to make a lot of changes to cofiguration files? How will I learn about what settings to change, just by trial and error and based on experience?

My goal here is to have a v1.7.10 modpack that I can run until the end of time, with no need to worry about any updates. It will be a truly standalone modded minecraft experience without any need for a secondary launcher such as FTB which will someday no longer operate, or such as Curse which is loaded down with all sorts of social crap I just do not want or need. I hope I can achieve my goals!
Good luck creating your modpack! :D