Magma Crucible...is there a better alternative?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
So I built one of these things and have it hooked up to 12 Electrical Engines, but it processes very slowly. Is there a way or another machine to speed it up?

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Use six Magmatic Engines per Magma Crucible. You should get enough lava to power the engines and still have a surplus, as well as fully powering the magma crucible.

Also melt Netherrack instead of cobblestone/smoothstone/obsidian. It's much cheaper, energy-wise, and therefore time-wise.

Reactions: Mero

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Yes.

Very simply you are losing so much power in the conversion from EU to MJ it's just not funny. I could walk you through the math, show you where the Elec Engine loses it's power, and how you likely have losses to your packets from wire lengths, but instead I'm going to ask you to trust me.

Make yourself some pipe, stone or gold, then treat it with restone to make power pipe. Now make me one wooden pipe and craft it with redstone to make a power transfer version of the wooden pipe. Names slip me, but you should find it all just fine in NEI, if not, let me know and I'll edit this to put the proper names in.

Now, make one Stirling engine. Put it down, then put the conductive wooden pipe next to it, and the conductive stone pipe next to the wooden one, all in a row. The magma crucible comes next. Go ahead and move the intake side to the top (blue to the top) using the bottom of the three tabs on the right.

Now, the fuel you where using to power the generator that was feeding your EU power grid, that the electrical engines where working from, I'm hoping it's either charcoal or scaffolds, if you've been using coal I can explain why you should save it for latter. If it's coal coke, you get a gold star.

Next, go ahead and place a lever next to the Stirling engine to turn it on, you'll see power in the conductive pipe, it's the little glowing beam. Very cool isn't it? Power will now reach the magma crucible and quite a bit more then you where giving it. Still, this i s rather slow.

Build an ignius extruder and using shift, place it on top of the magma crucible. Place in enough water to fill the tank, and at least one bucket of lava. Tinker around a little and it's quite easy to get it making cobblestone. Again you are going to look for the bottom of the tabs on the right, you want to move the output (Red) to the bottom face. It will now make cobblestone in a lagless way and feed it into the magma crucible. This speeds up the effort of making lava.

If you want to make this even faster, you can place two more Stirling engines with wooden pipes onto the stone conductive pipe behind the magma crucible and keep feeding in more charcoal, scaffolds give you more from each bit of wood, but take more effort, your choice.

If you want this to run longer without attention you'd need to place hoppers above the engines, and give the crucible a tank to pump out into, but that's a lesson for another time.

.... now, if you insist on the electrical engine....

Look up the thermiconic fabricator in the guide that my sig links to, it's inside the forestry wiki. You'll need to build that fabricator, a carpenter, and then make circuit boards with electron tubes on it to boost the engine capacity. This is not cheep, this is not easy, and it is not efficient. Then you move your IC2 power generation very VERY close to the crucible to shorten the cables, wires take EU out of them with every block traveled. I can walk you through this, but please try my way first, I really would appreciate the effort on your part, okay?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Guys... reading helps.

If he uses 12 electric engines, he's getting 24 MJ/t out of them. The magma crucible can only run with 20 MJ/t tops. No matter how much you feed it, it will not go faster.

@ Furious1964: The solution to your problem is building more magma crucibles.

Reactions: war_kittens

GrumpyOldG

Jul 29, 2019
To add some thought to Omnicron's response I would also point out that if the OP is running on rather low power, as it sounds, then boosting the output of the engines with circuit boards etc. is also not a good idea. The MJ boost comes at the cost of EU-to MJ efficiency.

More crucibles are the best solution to speed up EU availability for the electric engines.

Hope that helps as well.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty much been covered, but yes. Build more Crucibles. :) With Netherrack you get a bucket of lava every 20 seconds. I'm not sure that 180 buckets of lava per hour is really all that slow.

I should point out though that in 2.1.0+, unless you change the Netherrack conversion energy cost back to < 8k, there is NO net EU gain from this process.

Reactions: war_kittens

GrumpyOldG

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty much been covered, but yes. Build more Crucibles. :) With Netherrack you get a bucket of lava every 20 seconds. I'm not sure that 180 buckets of lava per hour is really all that slow.

I should point out though that in 2.1.0+, unless you change the Netherrack conversion energy cost back to < 8k, there is NO net EU gain from this process.

Love your mod!

As an alternative to Magma Crucibles you could go with Solar Power building and improvement. Personally, I love steam boilers and a Steam Turbine for my EU generation.

Reap2 5election

Jul 29, 2019
Yes.

Very simply you are losing so much power in the conversion from EU to MJ it's just not funny. I could walk you through the math, show you where the Elec Engine loses it's power, and how you likely have losses to your packets from wire lengths, but instead I'm going to ask you to trust me.

Make yourself some pipe, stone or gold, then treat it with restone to make power pipe. Now make me one wooden pipe and craft it with redstone to make a power transfer version of the wooden pipe. Names slip me, but you should find it all just fine in NEI, if not, let me know and I'll edit this to put the proper names in.

Now, make one Stirling engine. Put it down, then put the conductive wooden pipe next to it, and the conductive stone pipe next to the wooden one, all in a row. The magma crucible comes next. Go ahead and move the intake side to the top (blue to the top) using the bottom of the three tabs on the right.

Now, the fuel you where using to power the generator that was feeding your EU power grid, that the electrical engines where working from, I'm hoping it's either charcoal or scaffolds, if you've been using coal I can explain why you should save it for latter. If it's coal coke, you get a gold star.

Next, go ahead and place a lever next to the Stirling engine to turn it on, you'll see power in the conductive pipe, it's the little glowing beam. Very cool isn't it? Power will now reach the magma crucible and quite a bit more then you where giving it. Still, this i s rather slow.

Build an ignius extruder and using shift, place it on top of the magma crucible. Place in enough water to fill the tank, and at least one bucket of lava. Tinker around a little and it's quite easy to get it making cobblestone. Again you are going to look for the bottom of the tabs on the right, you want to move the output (Red) to the bottom face. It will now make cobblestone in a lagless way and feed it into the magma crucible. This speeds up the effort of making lava.

If you want to make this even faster, you can place two more Stirling engines with wooden pipes onto the stone conductive pipe behind the magma crucible and keep feeding in more charcoal, scaffolds give you more from each bit of wood, but take more effort, your choice.

If you want this to run longer without attention you'd need to place hoppers above the engines, and give the crucible a tank to pump out into, but that's a lesson for another time.

.... now, if you insist on the electrical engine....

Look up the thermiconic fabricator in the guide that my sig links to, it's inside the forestry wiki. You'll need to build that fabricator, a carpenter, and then make circuit boards with electron tubes on it to boost the engine capacity. This is not cheep, this is not easy, and it is not efficient. Then you move your IC2 power generation very VERY close to the crucible to shorten the cables, wires take EU out of them with every block traveled. I can walk you through this, but please try my way first, I really would appreciate the effort on your part, okay?

You seem like a helpfull person so i am in the process of making a system that produces iridium as well as eu and is 100% self sustaining by using forestry tree farms, dirt gets centrifuged into plant balls compressed plantballs, clay and sand. The clay gets crafted into blocks and pulverized into dust which is electrolyzed into some things. The important part is this needs empty cells (and since i want this to be self sustaining) i need to make tin. Not a problem because a stack of lava cells centrifuged gives 40 tin (costs 32) and i am making lava with a block breaker and magma crucible. Now for the problem: Getting the lava produced by the crucible into cells. I tried using the RP2 thing that right clicks (forget the name) with empty cells on a tank (the glass one with red lines 1x1 IC2 i think) but nothing happens i see the tank filling and the machine working but the cells remain empty and i tested right clicking on the tank with empty cells myself and they filled so i think the mods are not conpatible in that respect and i dont know how to solve my predicament someone please help me i have been looking for a solution for a while now!!! ANYONE PLZ HALP

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
You seem like a helpfull person so i am in the process of making a system that produces iridium as well as eu and is 100% self sustaining by using forestry tree farms, dirt gets centrifuged into plant balls compressed plantballs, clay and sand. The clay gets crafted into blocks and pulverized into dust which is electrolyzed into some things. The important part is this needs empty cells (and since i want this to be self sustaining) i need to make tin. Not a problem because a stack of lava cells centrifuged gives 40 tin (costs 32) and i am making lava with a block breaker and magma crucible. Now for the problem: Getting the lava produced by the crucible into cells. I tried using the RP2 thing that right clicks (forget the name) with empty cells on a tank (the glass one with red lines 1x1 IC2 i think) but nothing happens i see the tank filling and the machine working but the cells remain empty and i tested right clicking on the tank with empty cells myself and they filled so i think the mods are not conpatible in that respect and i dont know how to solve my predicament someone please help me i have been looking for a solution for a while now!!! ANYONE PLZ HALP

You can pump lava directly to the centrifuge (will give you 8 tin); you can use liquid transposer to get lava cells from lava, just pump the lava into it (and ofc the empty cells) and change the mode in liquid transposer from emptying to filling (this machine need power), to transfer the empty cell, you need to play with the configuration in the liquid transposer and match the colour of the wanted output side with the slot in the GUI of the liquid transposer.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
... using the RP2 thing that right clicks (forget the name) with empty cells on a tank (the glass one with red lines 1x1 IC2 i think) but nothing happens i see the tank filling and the machine working but the cells remain....

Deployers are currently bugged out and don't work with any tank.

You can either
-use a Redpower pump and a grate+fluid pipe to place lava source blocks in the world, and the deployer should scoop that up fine.
-use liquid transposer to fill buckets/cells ect
-wait for XYcraft to update, as XYtanks can auto fill buckets. this should be very easy to automate with a manager or Relay+Retriever

Reap2 5election

Jul 29, 2019
You can pump lava directly to the centrifuge (will give you 8 tin); you can use liquid transposer to get lava cells from lava, just pump the lava into it (and ofc the empty cells) and change the mode in liquid transposer from emptying to filling (this machine need power), to transfer the empty cell, you need to play with the configuration in the liquid transposer and match the colour of the wanted output side with the slot in the GUI of the liquid transposer.

Awesome thanks guys now im off to build my rediculous awesome system!

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Was MFR even a thing back then? This could have even been pre RF days.
minefactory existed in the 1.2.5 era. I believe it ran on MJ back then (or maybe EU, I forgot) but it had an option to run on redstone updates. Yes, running it on redstone updates is as ridiculous as it sounds (1 tick redstone clocks are best clocks :p )

Reactions: PierceSG