Planning on buying an account but I need some info.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheGrizzly

Jul 29, 2019
I used to play on a cracked version back when 1.6.4 was still new but ended up stopping because of school. I've decided that I'll just buy an account and stop struggling with cracks. But before that. I'd like to know some things.

1. Do I just only need a minecraft account from Minecraft.net in order to play?

2. I have an i5-4460, GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM but the performance was horrible (fluctuating between 50 and 15 fps with a lot of stuttering). Was this because of a crack or something else? I plan on playing the DW20 1.7.10.

Edit: I've bought it and on FTB Crack Pack I get 60+ fps most of the time, just as long as I don't insist on playing at max settings.

Last edited:
T

Techly88

I used to play on a cracked version back when 1.6.4 was still new but ended up stopping because of school. I've decided that I'll just buy an account and stop struggling with cracks. But before that. I'd like to know some things.

1. Do I just only need a minecraft account from Minecraft.net in order to play?

2. I have an i5-4460, GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM but the performance was horrible (fluctuating between 50 and 15 fps with a lot of stuttering). Was this because of a crack or something else? I plan on playing the DW20 1.7.10.

Yes you will only need to purchase from Minecraft.net. IN fact they are the only authorized seller to get the PC version of the game anyway.

As for the performance, what was exactly hitting the "fans" to cause this crazy low FPS? A few tips I can provide are..

Close out programs not in use (including the very launcher once the game is started to load)

Lower your in game settings

Try mods like BetterFPS and/or Optifine

Upgrade components based on what being heavily used. Your RAM looks really good so most likely this would probably either hitting your disk hard, CPU and/or the GPU instead.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If you are in the US you may be able to save a couple of dollars by buying a "Gift Card" at an outlet like Target or Walmart.

A few years ago when I bought mine I think the direct cost was $29 but I got a card at Target for $26.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Performance issues could be a whole host of things, including too much RAM being dedicated, CPU clock speed being too low (unlikely with that CPU), or your GPU not being used for the little that it can add to MC because that's how the Nvidia drivers like to work. We'll need more details to help with that.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Amusingly, when I bought mine, it was cheaper to buy it straight from the website, than it was to pick it up in the store. Go figure.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
(fluctuating between 50 and 15 fps with a lot of stuttering)
FPS is what should be expected with modded MC. If you want better FPS with the crappy optimized Minecraft, play vanilla or add fewer mods. Or build less machines/automation/etc. But where is the fun in that :p
The constant stuttering that we had a lot of in earlier versions seems to be gone in my experience with 1.7.10+

T

Techly88

The constant stuttering that we had a lot of in earlier versions seems to be gone in my experience with 1.7.10+

That is most likely Minecraft and select mods are finally started going multithreaded. They still got quite a way to go before it fully is but some things are able to move onto other cores (chat, saving, backups, and even heard of dims just started going multithreaded).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That is most likely Minecraft and select mods are finally started going multithreaded. They still got quite a way to go before it fully is but some things are able to move onto other cores (chat, saving, backups, and even heard of dims just started going multithreaded).
All that would have positive influence on the FPS.
Pretty sure the stuttering/freezes many of us had in the past were down to bad handling of the RAM(it usually coincided with the clearance of the RAM once it filled up). Dunno if it was JAVA, MC, Forge or the mods that fixed the problem.

Reactions: Techly88
T

Techly88

Pretty sure the stuttering/freezes many of us had in the past were down to bad handling of the RAM(it usually coincided with the clearance of the RAM once it filled up). Dunno if it was JAVA, MC, Forge or the mods that fixed the problem.

I see what you means by that as well. RAM usage seem to indeed be better handled now of days.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I don't think it was Java... I've seen other Java software without this issue. Also, Java was originally developed at Sun Microsystems, a group that knew a thing or two about memory management (They also maintained SunOS and Solaris, two Unix versions that rely on memory management.)