Tinkers' construct masters, what are you best tips and tricks!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Taking this in a slightly different direction but inspired by the discussion about the TE nerfs:

What are people's thoughts on the best crossbows from a more "vanilla" TiC angle?

Basically I ask because my friend has put together a modpack with TiC and ExtraTiC but (and here's the kicker): there is no ExU, no MFR, and no TE. For info, there is AE2, DracoEvo, TC4 and Galacticraft.

I tried out an all cobalt crossbow in creative, thinking that would be fast (and not really understanding how it all worked at the time) and it was rather slow even when upgraded with redstone. I believe that for the bow limb(s), blue slime might actually a good route, but what do you think?

- GwnG

Last_Dovahkiin

Nov 2, 2015
Taking this in a slightly different direction but inspired by the discussion about the TE nerfs:

What are people's thoughts on the best crossbows from a more "vanilla" TiC angle?

Basically I ask because my friend has put together a modpack with TiC and ExtraTiC but (and here's the kicker): there is no ExU, no MFR, and no TE. For info, there is AE2, DracoEvo, TC4 and Galacticraft.

I tried out an all cobalt crossbow in creative, thinking that would be fast (and not really understanding how it all worked at the time) and it was rather slow even when upgraded with redstone. I believe that for the bow limb(s), blue slime might actually a good route, but what do you think?

- GwnG
Hmm, yeah, Blue Slime, or any slime really, would be awesome for bow limbs. Here's a longbow from this (you can substitute the flux capacitor with moss and the fiery bowstring with blaze powder on the arrows):https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3c2wxw/
Longbow
Blue slime bow limbs, Thaumium large plate, fiery bowstring

Upgrades: hardened flux capacitor, then 450 lapis, then 250 redstone

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, yeah, Blue Slime, or any slime really, would be awesome for bow limbs. Here's a longbow from this (you can substitute the flux capacitor with moss and the fiery bowstring with blaze powder on the arrows):https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3c2wxw/
Longbow

Pretty sure fiery bowstring does not make arrows light stuff on fire. It does improve stats though.

Also lapis on a bow does not do anything IIRC, because the looting effect is applied only when you melee with the bow

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Imho, it should have a config option to disable the nerfs. That way, if someone wants to go all out with the silly levels of damage and speed, they can.
Yea, I really don't understand the mentality of people wanting to control things THEY think are OP. I mean fine, if it's OP for you, it's simple, don't freaking use it. Exactly why would it matter, and why would you even care, how someone else plays the game so much so that you would attempt to manipulate their game play simply to suit you? Obviously the mod author was simply caving to a bunch of control freaks whining about it being OP. Seriously, stfu. (Not aimed at you Last_)

So, please mod author undo the nerf, and make the whiny minority's alter THEIR configs instead of forcing a nerf on the rest of us who enjoyed and appreciated how it was before the nerf to please the MC SJW's.

Rishenda

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I really don't understand the mentality of people wanting to control things THEY think are OP. I mean fine, if it's OP for you, it's simple, don't freaking use it. Exactly why would it matter, and why would you even care, how someone else plays the game so much so that you would attempt to manipulate their game play simply to suit you? Obviously the mod author was simply caving to a bunch of control freaks whining about it being OP. Seriously, stfu. (Not aimed at you Last_)

So, please mod author undo the nerf, and make the whiny minority's alter THEIR configs instead of forcing a nerf on the rest of us who enjoyed and appreciated how it was before the nerf to please the MC SJW's.

THIS

I totally agree with this comment. If you think something is OP.... just don't use it.. simple as that. But don't winge and carry on about it and force every man and his dog to play your way.

Why should we or the Mod Authors change just because you think something is over the top?

Reactions: joshua_owenby

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
THIS

I totally agree with this comment. If you think something is OP.... just don't use it.. simple as that. But don't winge and carry on about it and force every man and his dog to play your way.

Why should we or the Mod Authors change just because you think something is over the top?

Because occasionally they agree they jumped the shark and decide to change their mod. I used it as it was (and still am, as I've not updated it in my lack currently), and I'm not trying to force anyone else to do or play any way. My opinion was that it was out of line with the rest of the parent mod that it piggybacks on, and apparently the Dev agreed enough to adjust it. I've not seen the updated stats, so I've no idea where those materials stand now. If you're not a fan of the changes, don't update.

I do think that it would be best if the configs allowed for full customization, as this would give the player (and more importantly the pack maker) the availability to tailor things to fit desired benchmarks. I had thought this was a thing already, but many of you have stated it is not. Maybe I saw it in the Iguanas Tinker Tweaks configs?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands

Not saying it is so, but... It might be worth considering the possibility that *you* are the one being whiny here. Just as a thought experiment. :)

Why do you insist that things default to being OP, instead of defaulting to being more well balanced? And why insist that the mod makes everything configurable? This is not always possible and not always desirable. A mod author may wand to deliver a certain experience, but if everyone continues a to use the old ways, then that experience will never get delivered. Even if that new experience really is for the better after all. I believe this was an issue with Botania a while back. When the passive mana flowers where given an expiration timer. Nowadays I don't hear anyone complain about it anymore.

And why use SJW as a general curse word? whats next? Are you going to claim that using the nerf bad is a form of cultural marxism?

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Not saying it is so, but... It might be worth considering the possibility that *you* are the one being whiny here. Just as a thought experiment. :)

Why do you insist that things default to being OP, instead of defaulting to being more well balanced? And why insist that the mod makes everything configurable? This is not always possible and not always desirable. A mod author may wand to deliver a certain experience, but if everyone continues a to use the old ways, then that experience will never get delivered. Even if that new experience really is for the better after all. I believe this was an issue with Botania a while back. When the passive mana flowers where given an expiration timer. Nowadays I don't hear anyone complain about it anymore.

And why use SJW as a general curse word? whats next? Are you going to claim that using the nerf bad is a form of cultural marxism?

I'm not suggesting cultural marxism, I'm stating, that is exactly what it is, the mentality is exactly the same. However I reject your accusation that I'm using it as profanity, although I am most assuredly using it in a derogatory manner. If you want to suggest that the term I am using in a derogatory manner is referring to something that is profane, I'm open to discussion. I have certainly used the term "gregteched" in that manner.

Who defines "balanced" and who defines OP? Who decides what is better for all? Maybe the definition is "fun for me". In my small sample of users I don't recall any complaints. Apparently for a long time (for several mod pack versions) it was fine just the way the mod author originally presented it with powerful weapons and tools, and also very very configurable. Suddenly the mod author changes their mind? I don't believe that is the case. I certainly could be wrong.

And your first sentence is transparently disingenuous. Yes, you're not "saying it". However you are overtly implying it while not having the integrity to own it. Your choice of phrasing is known in some circles as the equivalent of of a certain barnyard fowls droppings.

Reactions: joshua_owenby

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Because occasionally they agree they jumped the shark and decide to change their mod. I used it as it was (and still am, as I've not updated it in my lack currently), and I'm not trying to force anyone else to do or play any way. My opinion was that it was out of line with the rest of the parent mod that it piggybacks on, and apparently the Dev agreed enough to adjust it. I've not seen the updated stats, so I've no idea where those materials stand now. If you're not a fan of the changes, don't update.

I do think that it would be best if the configs allowed for full customization, as this would give the player (and more importantly the pack maker) the availability to tailor things to fit desired benchmarks. I had thought this was a thing already, but many of you have stated it is not. Maybe I saw it in the Iguanas Tinker Tweaks configs?

For the most part I don't disagree, and I particularly agree with at least having it configurable. I would probably not even have an issue with the update if that were the case. The main issue I have with the nerf is when playing on a private server we all have to make sure we revert back to an older version which is a bit of an annoyance. Igauna is highly configurable. We have had some serious fun with that.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
your first sentence is transparently disingenuous. Yes, you're not "saying it". However you are overtly implying it while not having the integrity to own it. Your choice of phrasing is known in some circles as the equivalent of of a certain barnyard fowls droppings.

I wasn't trying to avoid ownership. When I first drafted my post it started with what is now the second sentence. I felt that line came across much harsher than I intended to be, so I added the first bit as an attempt to soften it. It was a terrible attempt and on top of that, my entire post is a mess.

I was trying to address the sentiment that nerfs are the result of modders bending to whiners. This sentiment has come up every time some mod gets nerfed, and I believe it to be wrong on many different levels.

It could have been an interesting discussion, but I believe my previous post ruined it by being so terribly put together.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
My best tip is don't waste time making Pink Slimes, it's a real grind (need MFR Slaughterhouse and run a lot of mobs thru it).

Nah, who am I kidding - you always gotta go for the top tier if you're a real minecrafter! When it comes to Tinkers, the pink slimes are the top tier with the best stats (green slime, blue slime, then pink). Items like crossbow bolts are best made using pink slime crystal in every 1.7.10 modpack I've played.

But one of my very-early-game tasks is always to ladder up to one of those blue slime islands in the sky if they're in the pack, because the blue slimes are better than the greens. That's always a highlight of early-game for me. :)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Longbow

My best tip is don't waste time making Pink Slimes, it's a real grind (need MFR Slaughterhouse and run a lot of mobs thru it).

Nah, who am I kidding - you always gotta go for the top tier if you're a real minecrafter! When it comes to Tinkers, the pink slimes are the top tier with the best stats (green slime, blue slime, then pink). Items like crossbow bolts are best made using pink slime crystal in every 1.7.10 modpack I've played.

But one of my very-early-game tasks is always to ladder up to one of those blue slime islands in the sky if they're in the pack, because the blue slimes are better than the greens. That's always a highlight of early-game for me. :)

Thanks for this guys, that's been really good advice! :) I did some testing and found that blue slime really does make an excellent crossbow limb material - it made a huge difference to draw speed when compared to other materials; when we start the pack full time I know what floaty islands I'll be looking for!

Unfortunately I can't test fiery bowstring as the pack has Tinker's but NOT Natura alas. But, the enchanted bowstring (TC4 huzzah) has a fairly good impact on draw speed!

I've noticed that some things suggest paper body and manyullyn tough binding; I would have thought the reverse of manyullyn body and paper tough binding was better, but I haven't done the maths on this - do you have any thoughts on that one?

Finally on the topic of bolts, I was wondering whether the slime would be good for the body! So is that best because you want a good durability modifier and low weight more than anything else? And is it mainly the metal poured onto it that affects the damage? I think more testing is needed...

Cheers again!

- GwnG

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I recently went thru the learning curve for making Tinker's Crossbow and Bolts, and I saved this reddit since the info in it is so good: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/39zl18/signalum_crossbow_and_best_crossbow_possible/

Edit: If you have ExtraTiCon mod in your pack, they changed the properties for Signalum at some point, and it suddenly lost its prized status at the top, falling back into the pack as just another material with so-so properties... so be aware of that. Most 1.7.10 FTB modpacks seem to have older versions of ExtraTiCon in them, where Signalum is still King Of The Hill...

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm of two minds about the change - it would be nice if perhaps those parts imparted some other benefit to the weapon, along the lines of the way TiCon2 has interesting material modifiers. When you don't have Thermal Expansion or MFR, it does end up in you having to do some slightly more interesting thinking about the materials you use, which is fun! :)

Does anyone have any experience in using Desh (Galacticraft) as a material for TiCon? And would anyone be interested here in knowing how it ranks if I do some testing?

Finally, and again this is a little off-topic but not too much: what do people think is the best beginner's Tinker's materials? Say you have a tool forge and smeltery, but haven't been to the Nether, and have few to no materials outside the standard TiC? For a crossbow, my thoughts would be either wood or green/blue slime for the limb, maybe alumite or slime again for the body, paper tough binding and normal bowstring. What are your thoughts?

- GwnG

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Finally, and again this is a little off-topic but not too much: what do people think is the best beginner's Tinker's materials? Say you have a tool forge and smeltery, but haven't been to the Nether, and have few to no materials outside the standard TiC? For a crossbow, my thoughts would be either wood or green/blue slime for the limb, maybe alumite or slime again for the body, paper tough binding and normal bowstring. What are your thoughts?

- GwnG

Personally, I always start with flint, then upgrade to bronze, then upgrade to endgame materials. (If steel is not in the pack, I do make a temporary allumite pick to mine the cobalt, but I don't count that as an actual upgrade I really use beyond mining the cobalt)
For bows, I start with wood and flint arrowheads, then upgrade to my endgame bow and arrows.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm of two minds about the change - it would be nice if perhaps those parts imparted some other benefit to the weapon, along the lines of the way TiCon2 has interesting material modifiers. When you don't have Thermal Expansion or MFR, it does end up in you having to do some slightly more interesting thinking about the materials you use, which is fun! :)

Does anyone have any experience in using Desh (Galacticraft) as a material for TiCon? And would anyone be interested here in knowing how it ranks if I do some testing?

- GwnG

I never make the crossbow (just once, just to say I did it and learned how), but for all my tools and sword, I do the same thing every time I play a modpack - I go directly to Alumite. The hardest part is the obsidian, but that's easily do-able without a higher-tier pickaxe as long as you have Thermal Expansion in the pack (Igneous/Aqueous, a bucket and a tank and a trip to a lava pool somewhere). Since Alumite can mine all the good stuff, I either stick with Alumite tools for the whole game (with modifiers I think they're equal to just about any other tool material. close enough for me) or else I work my way up to making a jetpack and then scour the nether for Ardite/Cobalt and make Manyullyn.

The other component I always use is (as mentioned previously) the Blue Slime Crystals, by finding a sky island and dirt-laddering up to one. So it's Alumite for the tool head, Obisidian for a binding or wide guard (to increase durability), and Blue Slime Crystal for the handles. And then Manyullyn for mid- and end-game tools. I do the same thing every time I play any modpack, I use the same two materials exclusively because I've yet to find anything easier, or better.

With ExtraTiCon in the pack, I might branch out to other stuff, but the way I do that is simply look up the tool part in NEI and mouse-over every material option to see which has the best stats. Usually, that's Enderium, which is generally the third material I might use. I follow the KISS motto - "keep it simple, Shemp". LOL

Last edited:

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I never make the crossbow (just once, just to say I did it and learned how), but for all my tools and sword, I do the same thing every time I play a modpack - I go directly to Alumite. The hardest part is the obsidian, but that's easily do-able without a higher-tier pickaxe as long as you have Thermal Expansion in the pack (Igneous/Aqueous, a bucket and a tank and a trip to a lava pool somewhere). Since Alumite can mine all the good stuff, I either stick with Alumite tools for the whole game (with modifiers I think they're equal to just about any other tool material. close enough for me) or else I work my way up to making a jetpack and then scour the nether for Ardite/Cobalt and make Manyullyn.

The other component I always use is (as mentioned previously) the Blue Slime Crystals, by finding a sky island and dirt-laddering up to one. So it's Alumite for the tool head, Obisidian for a binding or wide guard (to increase durability), and Blue Slime Crystal for the handles. And then Manyullyn for mid- and end-game tools. I do the same thing every time I play any modpack, I use the same two materials exclusively because I've yet to find anything easier, or better.

With ExtraTiCon in the pack, I might branch out to other stuff, but the way I do that is simply look up the tool part in NEI and mouse-over every material option to see which has the best stats. Usually, that's Enderium, which is generally the third material I might use. I follow the KISS motto - "keep it simple, Shemp". LOL
I spend a lot of time exploring before I settle down, which means I've raided so many villages that I have several ingots of obsidian parts from tinkers buildings. It gets me alumite as soon as I build a smeltery with all the parts I've raided. The immersive engineering crates are awesome for carrying all my loot. I usually have 6-8 of them full by the time I make a base.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you have Iguanas Tinker Tweaks or have otherwise disabled it in the configs, you can create Obsidian in the Smeltery by pumping water and Lava in through a drain. This makes the jump to Alumite very fast. If Steel is in the pack, I usually find an ingot in a blacksmith chest and head straight to the Nether.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Unless you have Iguanas Tinker Tweaks or have otherwise disabled it in the configs, you can create Obsidian in the Smeltery by pumping water and Lava in through a drain. This makes the jump to Alumite very fast. If Steel is in the pack, I usually find an ingot in a blacksmith chest and head straight to the Nether.
Does ITT remove the obsidian-in-the-smeltery trick?? Bugger...