[1.7.10] Shattered

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
This is a Work In Progress personal modpack that has grown quite in scope, so I thought I'd post some details in case anyone else might be interested. If so, I'll see about getting it onto the FTB launcher.

Background:
I've always wanted a mod pack that offered a little more challenge and sense of acheivement in crafting items, along with the requirement to actually mine and build (you know, that's what this game is all about!).

The Pack:
Shattered is a Tech themed Skyland environment, and provides some of the challenges you encounter in Skyblock, along with the normal challenges of exploration/resource finding. Not only that, it massively overhauls many items/blocks using Minetweaker to provide a more consistent and tiered gameplay.
One major feature of the pack (which was also the biggest headache in MT scripting) is that no matter what machine process you use, you always get the same type of dust, nugget, ingot, gear or block. No need for OreDict! This has always been my biggest bugbear with modded minecraft, with umpteen different versions of ingots, dusts, nuggets, blocks, etc all for the same resource! Complete waste of memory resources and makes NEI look a mess.
Finally, it also features a 32x resource pack using default textures scaled up (using a process I've worked out in photoshop), or replaced with a new texture if the result looks rubbish (some look great, others not so), or John Smith Tech for mod support (I'm not an artist!). Some textures have also been changed to reflect the changes within the pack.

Features & Challenges:
  • Skyland Environment - dense or sparse, large or small islands
  • Tech themed (with a small hint of "magic")
  • Large Ore Vein generation based on chance per chunk (some islands will have no resources, others will be stuffed)
  • Up to 4 densities of Ore, with different output efficiencies depending on how you process them (hint - don't waste too many ores in a vanilla furnace!)
  • Ores generation influenced on real world occurrence. For example, Gold generates in veins of Quartz Rock.
  • Unified resource outputs
  • No HQM, play how you want without soul destroying grindy quests
  • Finite Water - You'll need to manage this resource, it's needed for yourself and recipes
  • Harder recipes, but not insanely difficult (no 2 Galgorgian Blocks to make a stick for example)
  • Cheaper recipes - err wut? Yep, some recipes have been made cheaper to better reflect what the item/block actually does.
  • More logical recipes - some recipes have been changed to be more consistent, and to make use of more of the ores available. For example, if a machine can hold hot liquids (aka lava) then the recipe will most likely feature an Invar Tank.
  • Logical progression - Start with multiblocks, then work towards miniaturization and the magical single blocks
  • Mod pack goals - If you want them, then aim for making your own dimensions with RF tools, or explore your solar system with Advanced Rocketry

To Do List:
  • Adjust Advanced Rocketry recipes
  • Adjust RF Tools recipes
  • Test dimension interaction
Known issues:
A new game can spawn you over the void
Slow to generate a new world (unavoidable, lots of world gen) and occasional freeze ups when exploring

ModList.jpg

2016-02-11_21.25.56.png

2016-02-11_21.21.05.png

2016-02-25_20.21.23.png

2016-02-11_21.20.13.png

F.A.Q.
This pack looks great, can I test?
Of course you can, send me a PM and I'll provide a temporary download link. Feedback would be welcome. Just remember, it's in development, and no claiming the pack as your own work!

How about adding mod "X"?
Sure, just give me details about the mod, why you think it would fit, and of course, a link to it!

Will this pack update to 1.9?
Yes, if enough of the key mods update, for now, it's just 1.7.10

Do I need the survival aspects of the pack?
Of course not, if you don't like certain aspects, feel free to disable! It's your gameplay, so you should enjoy it. Don't remove mods, it might cause a crash, but it should be safe enough to add mods if you want some extra things you can't play without!

Hints
Only read if you are stuck, where's the fun in spoiling the changes? These hints only cover the early game.

How can I get more water at the start of the game?
Look into a Forestry rain collector or a Railcraft water tank - there might even be ruins of exiting water tanks scattered about

I need clay, where is it?
With no rivers or oceans, you'll have to craft clay. Get a wheat farm, add water and dirt in a certain machine, and you'll get clay.

How should I get started?
Once you have a supply of water and food, look into building a coke oven and blast furnace - don't worry, you don't need to go to the nether!

The minecraft furnace is wasting my ores, what gives?
That's intentional. A simple cobblestone block isn't going to be very efficient at making ingots. Work towards a crusher & arc furnace from Immersive Engineering, and/or a Tinkers Smeltry (be aware, the recipes have changed for the smeltry, and it doesn't double ores!)

I'm having trouble finding enough of a certain ore, what should I do?
If an ore is hard to find, save some of it and look into AgriCraft ore crops. You might also get lucky with using Thermal Recycling's scrap system.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
How did you go about changing the world gen? I experimented with a world gen mods for an idea I had. I tried terrain control but it was way too complicated and made worlds load for like 5 mins. Also tried fun world gen but it was very un configurable.

My idea is similar to what was done here but the land masses would have been sparser and magic would be in equal part. I would have leverged Archemedies airships and OpenBlocks gliders fir travel.

Your pack sounds like it could be interesting.

Edit; ohh I can see you are using fun world gen. One of the screen shots has one of it's hanging dungeons. It's a neat world gen if not a tad un configurable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, it's FWG. Likewise, the mod needs some updates. It doesn't also use all of the BoP biomes, which is a bit of a shame, and likewise, not configurable. Add in Natura clouds generated lower, and CoFH Worldgen to decorate, and the results look amazing.
FWG was the only mod I could find that would produce the results I wanted.

I've also been toying with Archemedies ariships, but I feel it might make things too easy. There are Mek jetpacks, but they are going to end up being "end game" for this pack. There's also the EnderIO glider, which also is going to end up being endgame.
I may have to add OpenBlocks back in just for the glider (with a recipe tweak), otherwise the player is just forced to get about using block bridges. Which is fine for early early game, but would get boring quick.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
After a long summer break, back into working on this pack. The tweakathon continues, and is really making the NEI recipes much cleaner.
It's pretty much all there for overworld gameplay, just need to test the interaction of dimension creating mods.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thought I'd share some more pics:

First, all the new stuff I've personally added
2016-10-17_19.28.43.png

and some more nice views:
2016-10-17_19.25.33.png

2016-10-17_19.26.30.png

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I think I'm nearly there for first release. Phew, I'm shattered :D Due to the mods being used, a LOT of iron is going to be required, and that's with some cheaper recipes to replace defaults!
Plus, Advanced Rocketry is an amazing mod. You are going to need some big factories setup for that mod and this pack...

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds very interessting, especially that it sounds complex and I really love complex stuff *grins brightly*

So guess I need to start playing another modpack *crosses fingers aswell, especially because of these rockets!*