FTB Newsletter May 2016

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I believe they are waiting for one of the mods to get fixed first and I know there are a few abuses they want to fix before release. As a Side note: You could use a Trade mods that take out the emeralds for something with out EMC although for me the easiest way is the simplest no EMC value on emeralds instead of removing trades. Just a thought.
Waiting on EE3. Horizons Daybreaker included it, among the many other mods that it tested for use in FTB packs. My summary of the results, which I stated many times, was that Blood Arsenal and Mekanism would be good for FTB packs, provided they had many crucial bugfixes made. As well, I recommended that EE3 and Galacticraft be excluded from FTB packs because of innumerable design flaws and game breaking bugs. Even if the bugs were fixed, EE3 and Galacticraft were still poor and bland choices for any packs that would still cause insane amounts of issues because of how they were implemented and how their systems worked. I can elaborate more in a PM if you would like. I recommended alternative mods, such as ProjectE and the numerous space faring mods out their.

I'm glad to see that the one pack FTB had me make before unceremoniously kicking me out has made such a great impact on their design philosophy.

A

Alex Johnson

I thought this was supposed to release mid May. Do we have a release date yet? I need something to do.

A

Alex Johnson

The problem is, I want to play modded Minecraft. I'm tired of Infinity. Which is why I came here. Thanks for your help. Not.

Proxy_Player

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is, I want to play modded Minecraft. I'm tired of Infinity. Which is why I came here.

you just said that you needed something to do, not that you wanted to play MMC. :p
eitherway, the FTB Launcher is full of Packs, just try some. or scramble your own pack together, with mods that you like, wanted to try or never heard of.

Thanks for your help. Not.
that's just Dick-ish.

A

Alex Johnson

Okay think of it this way. I asked the question "Do we have a release date (for FTB Inventions)?". You chose to not answer my question at all. I stated that I needed something to do. I did NOT ask for any suggestions of what I should do. One could infer that, because we're in a modded Minecraft forum, when I said that I needed something to do, I meant that I wanted a new modded Minecraft experience. You thought it wise to be a smart ass in your reply and list a bunch of completely unrelated things that could consume some time, and then suggested that I kill myself. Yeah. I'm the dick. God, people are stupid. It never fails in online forums that there's always going to be someone who goes completely off topic and acts like a smart ass, and just trolls people who pop in to threads to ask a simple question. I guess that's the internet for you. I'll just check the launcher every day, and wait like everyone else. God forbid I try to get some inside information.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Okay think of it this way. I asked the question "Do we have a release date (for FTB Inventions)?". You chose to not answer my question at all. I stated that I needed something to do. I did NOT ask for any suggestions of what I should do. One could infer that, because we're in a modded Minecraft forum, when I said that I needed something to do, I meant that I wanted a new modded Minecraft experience. You thought it wise to be a smart ass in your reply and list a bunch of completely unrelated things that could consume some time, and then suggested that I kill myself. Yeah. I'm the dick. God, people are stupid. It never fails in online forums that there's always going to be someone who goes completely off topic and acts like a smart ass, and just trolls people who pop in to threads to ask a simple question. I guess that's the internet for you. I'll just check the launcher every day, and wait like everyone else. God forbid I try to get some inside information.

One thing quickly learned on FtB is that, no matter how politely one tries to phrase it, one does not ask for an ETA from unpaid volunteers. This includes "Do we have a release date" type questions as well.

There have been several "cute" links to "Release Schedules" in the past, one of the first of which was to an infamous Rick Astley video... While you thought Proxy_player was being less than helpful the response given was one of the tamer and more imaginative ones I've seen in the past.

Heck, I watch several mod developers stream their coding sessions... Some have Bots programmed to add a Week or a Month to their development schedule every time anything like an ETA question appears in their Live-Chat, and display that "Release Timer" every time it gets updated. The resulting self-policing of the Chat conversation can be fun :D

Reactions: ICountFrom0
A

Alex Johnson

If you're telling the truth, and asking if there is a known release date for a mod pack is actually THAT insulting, then I think the unpaid volunteers need to lighten up. From my perspective, if anyone is offended by "Do we know the release date yet?" then they are psycho. That truly has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I get that they're not paid. They're doing it as a hobby and because it's fun to them I guess, and I respect that. I'm not really a member of this online community, so I know nothing about it. I just start up the launcher and play the mod packs. But based on what you've said, and what I've experienced after just 5 posts here, it doesn't seem like a very friendly community anyway. The mod developers that you're talking about sound like a bunch of elitist pricks. They're insane if they get butt hurt about some random joining the forum to ask if there's a release date. I guess I've learned my lesson though. I will not under any circumstances try to interact with anyone from these forums again. I'll just wait for the mod packs to be released like all the normal people. To the people who I may have offended with my simple question: I apologize, your holinesses! I'm not worthy! I was not aware of all the sadistic rules that came with joining these forums! Please have mercy!

Bye

Reactions: RedBoss

Reif

Jul 29, 2019
Calm down L.

Anyway, I usually ask if there is some sort of timeline at all. I don't need strict dead line because frankly that's usually impossible with something like Mods. The rumor was mid May and that has come and gone.
Can anyone from FTB confirm the pack will be released in May? I'm just trying to decide if I should hold out for this pack or go play Tekkit Legends.

PS. To all devs everywhere, thank you for spending time making mods that none of us can/will. I am a developer myself but on the web side of things. Whenever I ask for an ETA please take it as a compliment that I am eager to get my hands on your work asap. Please do not feel rushed, I would rather you take your time and get things right. I was only hoping for a time frame of release, since this is the May newsletter it seemed fitting to ask here.

A

Alex Johnson

I'm sorry, but your previous post and my original one should not need any kind of postscript. "Whenever I ask for an ETA please take it as a compliment that I am eager to get my hands on your work asap" That should just be understood, by any normal human being. It's PSYCHO if anyone gets offended by asking for an ETA. I simply can't believe that anyone who does any work for the FTB mod packs is like that. Honestly, I'm getting mad just thinking about anyone who would act like that.

Reactions: RedBoss

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I may not be an employee of FTB any more, but I think it'd be a great idea if everyone cools down. People interpret asking for ETAs differently, and I think we should leave it at that before someone gets hurt or a moderator has to get involved.
What mods are you talking about?
I'll admit that there aren't a lot out there, but one of my favorites is WarpDrive. Although it is a little complicated. However, there are alternate solutions where neither of those is wanted - it's not that hard to create a new dimension to represent the moon or another planet with Dimensional Control, and RFTools, although not strictly space, does involve some very sci-fi inspired dimension traveling. Matter Overdrive, although you never go to space yourself (at least when I last played), does have the space faring system of trade with the Star Map.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
There is no timeline at all for the release of inventions. Anything I could say about how much work is left change the minute after I said it. It could come out tomorrow, or weeks from now.

Now that I've said that, at this moment in time I think it more likely it will be on the order of a few days than otherwise.

pulli23

Jul 29, 2019
I'm honestly wondering this - and sorry for asking as I know it's commonly bad conduct to bug people; But will FTB ever evolve past 1.7? 1.8 has been out for what, two years? 1.9 is already out quite long and most major mods have progressed to there.

On top of that new mods are completely ignoring 1.7.10 nowadays. So wouldn't it be time to just "cut the chase" and make balanced mod-packs for 1.8 or 1.9 and those mods who haven't updated yet could be considered outdated and no longer actively maintained.

Which important mod is still holding every and any modpack author back? (Really there are zero tech based modpacks for 1.9 I could find at all).

OcNim

Jul 29, 2019
When they announced FTB Inventions, they also told everyone that in the next few weeks they're going to be working on development of 1.9 modpacks.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The lack of modpacks for 1.8/1.9 is really a result of the relatively short time that mods have been actively developed on those versions. Forge for 1.9.4 has been available for about a week and while a chunk of mods and authors have already updated there isn't really the broad selection needed to make a substantial pack yet. There is little point working on a modpack for 1.8.9 or 1.9 instead of 1.9.4 because they also lack the range of mods needed for a decent pack and it would be counterproductive to expect authors to start supporting a version that is already outdated. Unstable for 1.9.4 is planned to be the next release after Inventions and will, as before, serve as a testing ground ahead of full blown 1.9.4 packs. It's coming, don't worry :)

Reif

Jul 29, 2019
In the next few weeks, we shall begin the development of modded 1.9 packs, beginning with FTB Unstable 1.9 that will be available to the public.

I'm honestly wondering this - and sorry for asking as I know it's commonly bad conduct to bug people; But will FTB ever evolve past 1.7?

Sometimes I wonder if people even try reading before complaining.

Last edited: