FTB Newsletter May 2016

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The point was made a few months ago that they were in development of 1.8 packs. I am a YouTuber and I make quick start guide for packs so I'm cool with what ever. That being said the point made by fox was that there wasn't enough mods out right now to do a 1.9 packs. so why not do a few 1.8 pack while we wait for both 1.9 to get to it finished form and mods to update. Some of the old mods aren't even updating. Thaurmcraft isn't 1.9 yet. They have said 1.9.3 is more then likely going to be the modded form for 1.9 unless there are major changes. It just seems like we are jumping the gun here and should wait and see what the future of 1.9 holds before moving on to it. Quote of the day "Your Scientist were so preoccupied with whether they could they never stopped to think if they should." Dr. Ian Malcom (Jurassic Park) :)

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The point was made a few months ago that they were in development of 1.8 packs. I am a YouTuber and I make quick start guide for packs so I'm cool with what ever. That being said the point made by fox was that there wasn't enough mods out right now to do a 1.9 packs. so why not do a few 1.8 pack while we wait for both 1.9 to get to it finished form and mods to update. Some of the old mods aren't even updating. Thaurmcraft isn't 1.9 yet. They have said 1.9.3 is more then likely going to be the modded form for 1.9 unless there are major changes. It just seems like we are jumping the gun here and should wait and see what the future of 1.9 holds before moving on to it. Quote of the day "Your Scientist were so preoccupied with whether they could they never stopped to think if they should." Dr. Ian Malcom (Jurassic Park) :)

There are both 1.8 and 1.9 packs arriving almost daily. Many Devs that I follow are updating to 1.8 first, because the testing environment is more stable, while in many cases the change(s) to go from 1.8 to 1.9 involve minor work.

I saw one new mod on Twitch updated from 1.8 by merely changing the project config files to indicate the new MC and Forge versions and refactored. Period.

Many are waiting for a more stable 1.9 forge to come out first, but all the hard work of updating from 1.7 and older versions can be done now by updating to 1.8.

[Edit] Having reread this after the below response I realized I said "Packs" when I meant "Mods". Damn Senile Dementia! :D

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
There are both 1.8 and 1.9 packs arriving almost daily. Many Devs that I follow are updating to 1.8 first, because the testing environment is more stable, while in many cases the change(s) to go from 1.8 to 1.9 involve minor work.

I saw one new mod on Twitch updated from 1.8 by merely changing the project config files to indicate the new MC and Forge versions and refactored. Period.

Many are waiting for a more stable 1.9 forge to come out first, but all the hard work of updating from 1.7 and older versions can be done now by updating to 1.8.
My point was specific to FTB official Packs not 3rd party.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
My point was specific to FTB official Packs not 3rd party.

I'm not talking Packs, these are specific Mods. As stated, many Devs are finding it easier to develop and test their mods on the slightly more stable version 1.8, then move to 1.9 when there is more comfort with that Forge version... Right now I'm tracking down an item disappearance problem in my personal 1.9 pack, for example. It may be Forge or a Mod issue, but I don't know yet.

The point is we will probably see an "Official" 1.8.9 pack or two before long, assuming the mod selection allows it.

Reactions: RedBoss

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I hope Ur right but everything they have released say they are going straight to 1.9.

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Looking at one of Bentley's videos, it appears that Chisel's Limestone does generate, and this is bad. Engineer's Toolbox's limestone can be used to make any of Chisel's variants; however, it is also used in it's own ore processing, where Chisel's raw limestone can't be used. So to automate Engineer's Toolbox's ore processing, you'll need auto-chisels. Which, last time I checked, were a bit buggy and had to be disabled in another of the packs I played. And remember, it is a pointless step that you, as the modpack devs, could easily let us avoid because all of the Chisel variants can be obtained by chiselling ET limestone.

I know I made a comment about this earlier, but it got lost in a few other messages that I put in the same post.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
FTB could also push people to moving to 1.9 by having ModJam and Jampacked focused around it. It'll also get some good quality 3rd party packs into circulation.

Reactions: Pyure

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing short of an increase in the number of mods available will cause a mass exodus to 1.9.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Maybe I'm nuts but if you were releasing Skyfactory 2.5 on FTB how come it didn't make the new feed? Anyone have any ideas?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Maybe I'm nuts but if you were releasing Skyfactory 2.5 on FTB how come it didn't make the new feed? Anyone have any ideas?
The decision was made after the may newsletter was released.

cpfuzzy

Feb 19, 2013
Inventions should be coming out any day now right? since Slowpoke said around mid May?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Between playing nothing but Infitech and Infinity-Expert for the last year or so I could almost use something more casual.

Proxy_Player

Jul 29, 2019
As far as i've seen the LP with Tfox, this pack will be missing some commonly known mods like Extra Utilities and TConstruct.
which i don't get, isn't this the "last 1.7.10 Pack" we'll have until 1.9 FTB will come up? isn't this pack Supposed to be a Fun Pack?

Restricting the Player in the choice of Mods doesn't sound fun to me, i actually expected quite the Opposite. like more Mods we know from Different packs (for example: Mekanism, TiC, MFR, Immersive Integration, AE² etc.), or more mods that not all people know existed or are just rarly in official Packs (for example: Matter Overdrive, Magneticraft, Super Massive Tech, Rotarycraft, etc.).

I'm actually Afraid that this pack will be worse than i usually expect from a FTB pack, I just want a Fun All-Mod Pack before 1.9.
someone clarify my fear/confusion... i really want to be happy to have this Pack. :S

Reactions: RedBoss

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As far as i've seen the LP with Tfox, this pack will be missing some commonly known mods like Extra Utilities and TConstruct.
which i don't get, isn't this the "last 1.7.10 Pack" we'll have until 1.9 FTB will come up? isn't this pack Supposed to be a Fun Pack?

Restricting the Player in the choice of Mods doesn't sound fun to me, i actually expected quite the Opposite. like more Mods we know from Different packs (for example: Mekanism, TiC, MFR, Immersive Integration, AE² etc.), or more mods that not all people know existed or are just rarly in official Packs (for example: Matter Overdrive, Magneticraft, Super Massive Tech, Rotarycraft, etc.).
By adding all the most popular mods to a pack, you're defining a Kitchen Sink pack, proxy_player. Which isn't bad, those are fun too. Its just not the goal for this pack.

Themed packs that are missing your go-to mods can be "Fun Packs" too.

You may not be happy to have this pack. That's ok too :)

Reif

Jul 29, 2019
Has there been anything official released about Inventions since this OP?
Was about to start a new server but decided to wait for Inventions, wondering how much longer it'll be.

Today maybe!?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Has there been anything official released about Inventions since this OP?
Was about to start a new server but decided to wait for Inventions, wondering how much longer it'll be.

Today maybe!?
YouTubers and streamers will release tons of content. The pack will get released after most of the hype is dead, and it'll never get an update.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Get your logic and facts out of here!
YouTubers and streamers will release tons of content. The pack will get released after most of the hype is dead, and it'll never get an update.
I believe they are waiting for one of the mods to get fixed first and I know there are a few abuses they want to fix before release. As a Side note: You could use a Trade mods that take out the emeralds for something with out EMC although for me the easiest way is the simplest no EMC value on emeralds instead of removing trades. Just a thought.