Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
All things being equal they should just go ahead and use the RF API. It's not like they can't use it to make a EU or even MJ power subset. It can be, and is destined to, handle multiple power nets.

Honestly though, I'd rather be reliant on my own system so I don't have to wait for anything else to update.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Stick with EU- its a massive part of IndusterialCraft's identity and heritage. Switching it out is like alcohol free beer- its just doesn't feel right.
Though if you need to use the Rf API for dev/time reasons, use it as an API- keeping the EU name and game mechanics as true as possible.​

This is probably the only time I'd ever say stick with the E.U. :p

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly though, I'd rather be reliant on my own system so I don't have to wait for anything else to update.

Ah but by working with the RF API team you could speed up it's updates and get everything done even faster. "Many hands make for light work."

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
What is that glowing, charged-looking, netherrack on the gorund?

... err, glowing? In the distance, it's not giving off light -- so what is that on the surface?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I would bet it's like the biomes O plenty stuff. Lights you on fire when you step on it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Ah but by working with the RF API team you could speed up it's updates and get everything done even faster. "Many hands make for light work."

There's still a delay though, and you have to rely on others to work well together.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm always impressed (and I use that term very lightly) by the official updates, that took, what, 5 minutes to implement? Wow...

Reactions: RenzosNips

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
There's still a delay though, and you have to rely on others to work well together.

There would be a delay even if you worked on it yourself. It would take less time for a good team to get a power system worked up than it would just you. And while they are doing that you could be working on the rest of the mod. While they would still have wait to work on a RF mod.
In theory that way you could get a EU mod out before they get out a RF mod.

Reactions: RedBoss

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
There would be a delay even if you worked on it yourself. It would take less time for a good team to get a power system worked up than it would just you. And while they are doing that you could be working on the rest of the mod. While they would still have wait to work on a RF mod.
In theory that way you could get a EU mod out before they get out a RF mod.

As the others said while I was busy, it's not a good thing having a ton of people writing code at the same thing. It significantly increases the chances of issues popping up.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Not a programmer but I have read up a little on programing practice in general.
Large companies that produce software or internal only applications or mods need to drum in to their coders a set of format rules to make code neat. Because most commercial products have multiple coders you need to avoid "spaghetti code" which can make the others you are working with unable to understand your code.

I take it in the MC modding scene neat code takes a backseat, making collaboration either slow or difficult. Possibly also why some abandoned projects are slow to get picked up "what is this xxa variable for? And why are there no tabbs?! Omg I need a spaghetti machete! Wish there was a comment that showed me the way out". I also take it the few collaborations we do have must have a coding format agreement to avoid stepping on each others code, But I don't imagine it would be common.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That, plus a bunch of modders have the view that "Code is self documenting, why should I write comments and docs when I've written code?".

So, a crafting recipe of 8 hands and a piece of redstone to make a lamp?
Assuming they name their variables sensibly code kinda can be self documenting.
While im not a programmer I have tried to read and understand excerpts of code. While I don't naturally know the syntax I can somewhat see what code is trying to do. As most languages follow similar logic and mostly use operators a similar way. But if the code is a dogs breakfast I just go cross eyed.
Makes learning to code a pain.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
That, plus a bunch of modders have the view that "Code is self documenting, why should I write comments and docs when I've written code?".
I'm not an expert on code clarity (and certainly don't have perfectly readable code), but this is my view:

There are good comments and bad comments. There can be code that doesn't require comments and there can be code that should really have a comment. Good comments don't repeat what the code is saying, but add more information. Out of date comments are worse than no comments at all.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I see your what ever news you have and raise you this. :D

Jens Bergensten ‏@jeb_ 14h14 hours ago
Remember that 242 mob? Here's a screenshot:
i5ScIfi.png

We'll do 1.10 snapshots at earliest in week 17 (current week is 14)

[So freaking cute. It's like a Coke-cola commercial.]
Now, I need to know If we could tame them and ride on them with a saddle? I want a battle bear.