Nether too hostile now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

Blue_Destroyer01

Tbh, I'm not having the problem of killing the Heatscar spiders, it is just that I have arachnophobia. Trust me, I have the equipment to kill them, but I'm just too terrified to even go near them

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I finally made my nano suit and the advanced chest piece, after HOURS of mining and crafting today... went back to the nether and was finally able to feel like I had a good chance of making it back, I like how the nether is harder nowadays.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Considering this thread originated in August of 2013, I have an interesting (to me) question...

I wonder what the people who thought the Nether was too hostile back then think about the 1.9 version of the Nether now?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
1.9 did changes to the Nether? It did to the End but Idk of any for the nether.

Darn! Heck! Shoot!

You are correct, sir! My brain doesn't work as well as when I was 45, I guess, and immediately made the jump to The End, with all the new content there.

Nothing to see here, move along! :confused:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Darn! Heck! Shoot!

You are correct, sir! My brain doesn't work as well as when I was 45, I guess, and immediately made the jump to The End, with all the new content there.

Nothing to see here, move along! :confused:
Well, the combat has changed which may or may not have changed the difficulty of the nether indirectly.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I, for one, miss Natura's Nether when I don't add it to my pack. I feel like hell should have some bite to it. Without Natura, I walk around the Nether like I own the place. Sure, Ghast can be annoying, but once you know where they are, they're more of a fall risk than anything. Blaze and Wither Skeletons can be deadly, but they rarely ambush you since they only spawn in Nether Fortress. I'm honestly more worried about falling in lava via my own stupidity than any mob.

Once you add Heatscar Spiders and Nitocreepers, suddenly the tables have turned. Abush is a deadly affair, and burning to death is a very real possibility. If you lose focus for even a moment, it could be all over. If you couple this with Nether Ores ability to aggro Zombie Pigmen, suddenly everything that moves is out to kill you in a horrible flaming swarm.

I enjoy that I have two major options when I gain Nether access for the first time in a world. I can prep up with the best sword and armor I can afford, enchant a bow, and go. Or, I can try to sneak in, steal some resources to jump me a tech tier and get out quick, so I can make even better gear for my eventual invasion. It's a risk/reward choice to me, and having the Nether be all cuddly removes all the risk and thus the reward feels cheap.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I, for one, miss Natura's Nether when I don't add it to my pack. I feel like hell should have some bite to it. Without Natura, I walk around the Nether like I own the place. Sure, Ghast can be annoying, but once you know where they are, they're more of a fall risk than anything. Blaze and Wither Skeletons can be deadly, but they rarely ambush you since they only spawn in Nether Fortress. I'm honestly more worried about falling in lava via my own stupidity than any mob.

Once you add Heatscar Spiders and Nitocreepers, suddenly the tables have turned. Abush is a deadly affair, and burning to death is a very real possibility. If you lose focus for even a moment, it could be all over. If you couple this with Nether Ores ability to aggro Zombie Pigmen, suddenly everything that moves is out to kill you in a horrible flaming swarm.

I enjoy that I have two major options when I gain Nether access for the first time in a world. I can prep up with the best sword and armor I can afford, enchant a bow, and go. Or, I can try to sneak in, steal some resources to jump me a tech tier and get out quick, so I can make even better gear for my eventual invasion. It's a risk/reward choice to me, and having the Nether be all cuddly removes all the risk and thus the reward feels cheap.
Add in the firebats from Thaumcraft, and you will not be safe when trying to pillar or build a cobblestone bridge.

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Worthless neophytes! The real mans nether is one full of killer doom references from Lycanites Mobs. A pack of Imps make the nether a very unkind place. Throw in the odd infernal soul screaming towards you and you are guaranteed a death or two at least.

Firebats still startle the absolute fuck out of you though.

I made myself a pack with Lycanites mobs once and found myself so totally overwhelmed I had to DL quiverbows and nerf the event in Lycanites configs.
The stylization of the mod is a little cheesy as it's full of references. But it makes life hard in game. I made a mistake of building a wooden house 100 blocks from a lava pit and then a lava lobber spawned coating the shack in flowing lava...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Alternatively, find a patch of the watery stuff B'o'P adds and plonk a quarry under it.

Then go home :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'm with @Azzanine on this. The typical modded nether tis nothing but a pleasant afternoon stroll. And thats without super-powerful weapons, cheating the navigation with minimaps/waypoints, and armour that makes you literally unkillable.

Though while I find some Lincanites gameplay to be friggin awesome, the events just cheesed me right out and I just dropped it long before I fired up the portal.

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
I like the added nether mobs, hate the added terrain. Not sure why, I just don't like how it looks. And as someone who has her home in the nether it is important to me how it looks. So i went with just plain nether, at least it suits what I feel it should look like... at least after I spent hours terraforming.. and reterraforming (thanks ghasts.. love you too)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The psychedelic mushroom stuff does look kinda cool, but at the same time its bleargh!! It'll look better as a rare sub-biome rather than everywhere. Although the boneyard looks cool too. I like that skeletal look. Name has a nice ring to it as well.
On the whole; teeming with life kinda gives the wrong impression- the nether (and end) just feel better and more alien looking bleak.

Also dump some screenshots- nether bases are awesome ;)

Reactions: PierceSG

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think most modded players could even find a nether fortress without the minimap.

Even with the "dangers" the Nether is pretty serene compared to nighttime in the Overworld. I don't use Lycanites mobs BTW because I don't like rage quitting. =P

H

HoblitHD

The nether isn't as harsh as it used to be, i still die often there, but that's just me.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't think most modded players could even find a nether fortress without the minimap.

Even with the "dangers" the Nether is pretty serene compared to nighttime in the Overworld. I don't use Lycanites mobs BTW because I don't like rage quitting. =P
I've played a few Regrowth games which has no minimap and I've not had problems finding fortresses. But sure, having a minimap makes you lazy.

Last edited:

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
It isnt hard to find a fortress, it is just time consuming. Specially with the ones that spawn inside of a wall of netherrack, where the map will tell you.Honestly, I really wish vanilla would have some form of map, not mob radar stuff but at least a basic map. It makes things well yeah a bit easier but most of all more convenient when you plot out your buildings.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It isnt hard to find a fortress, it is just time consuming. Specially with the ones that spawn inside of a wall of netherrack, where the map will tell you.Honestly, I really wish vanilla would have some form of map, not mob radar stuff but at least a basic map. It makes things well yeah a bit easier but most of all more convenient when you plot out your buildings.

Vanilla MC does have a map. It's not hard to make, and I carry one on any world without a map mod. Particularly useful is the BiblioCraft Atlas to hold them.