Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
As someone thats gone biofuel before. I have to say wheat or sugercane. Both have a low return but can be automated in such a way that you need zero input to them. At that point you can make up for the lost of efficiency with just bigger farms and extra fermenter. If you have Thaumcarft you can automate the wheat farm with a few golems bypassing the need for really anything.

As an extension to this, you can use the lilypad of fertility if you have access to it to make the farm grow even faster.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
You can also consider a Steve's Carts tree farm. They require much less managing than the Forestry one, at a greater initial resource cost.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
What's a good way to get items from a pneumatic tube into a transport pipe?

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Argh, is that the most compact way? I thought there would be a smaller solution.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe there is. It's only a single block in between the tubes and pipes, it doesn't get any smaller than that.

Keep in mind you don't need a redstone engine and lever, you can just use an autarchic gate on the wooden pipe.

Reactions: tabs

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to farm shards of minium? I mean, through soul shard doesn't seems to work, I've set up a tier 3 zombie spawner plus a couple of melee turtle but when I checked, there were tons of iron, potatoes, carrots, some armor but no shards of minum. I tried to set up a manual way to kill them (potion of healing) but yet again no shards were dropped. Is it just a matter of bad luck (really bad, since the melee turtle have been running for 8 hours) or soul shard mobs don't drop any minium?

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
I think only thaumcraft mobs drop minium. Not sure if there is a spawner for them. [DOUBLEPOST=1362666287][/DOUBLEPOST]If I constantly put power into energy conduits, with the energy unused, will something bad happen? The combustion engines are emptying energy seemingly indefinitely into them.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Noting bad will happen if you constantly input energy into conduits. However, if there is nowhere to go for that energy, any unused energy beyond a 1000 MJ buffer will be lost.

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
Argh, is that the most compact way? I thought there would be a smaller solution.

>>>Tube -> Transposer -> [Air] -> Obsidian Pipe ->>>

Its a very Ghetto way to do it, but it is the smallest i can think of. Just be carfull, maybe the Items fall t the sides. Just block it of.

Minium Shardes should drop from Normal Mobs and from Mobs out of Vanilla Spawner. I don't have a Vanilla spawner, i cant say it for sure^^

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just a matter of bad luck (really bad, since the melee turtle have been running for 8 hours) or soul shard mobs don't drop any minium?

On my manual zombie-punch-in-the-feet T5 spawner, we've been getting minium shards. When I get some extra splash heal potions, I'll give them a test.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Minium shards only drop when the player kills the mob. There's no other way of collecting them.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
On my manual zombie-punch-in-the-feet T5 spawner, we've been getting minium shards. When I get some extra splash heal potions, I'll give them a test.
Right, so I have to physically punch them, fine! I tried to kill them with healing potion and not a single shard was given to me, I'll try to punch dem basterds! Thanks!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Right, so I have to physically punch them, fine! I tried to kill them with healing potion and not a single shard was given to me, I'll try to punch dem basterds! Thanks!

Depending on how you have your trap set up, you may want to redesign it with a drop element (and possibly a watervator element) to allow them to get down to half a heart (one punch) of health, or close enough that you can make a bunch of stone swords and use those.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on how you have your trap set up, you may want to redesign it with a drop element (and possibly a watervator element) to allow them to get down to half a heart (one punch) of health, or close enough that you can make a bunch of stone swords and use those.
Or use one TC3 sword that deals splash damage.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Or use one TC3 sword that deals splash damage.
Great idea, probably the best use for that thing, as in reality, I'm gonna take out a group of uncontrolled mobs from range if I can, making the AoE sword kind of an emergency only thing.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
I cant keep up with the dirt requirements for the tree farm > fermenter > biofuel > boiler.

If i replace it with the wheat farm, would i see much loss in biofuel production? I assume the wheat farm doesnt need soil like its old version?

Which kind of tree farm? Multifarm, steve's carts or something else? I know that when I set up more multifarms I had a shortage of dirt too since I stopped the quarries for a long time. We had a lot of UU being produced so I just made a bunch of grass dirt / mycelium with the UU and set up a factorization energy source + 2 grinders to turn the grass dirt and mycelium into regular dirt. Works pretty well, I just never got around to automating it so I drop it all in a hopper (for now) and let it do its thing. Makes it fast enough to keep up with 2 full size wheat and tree farms (though the wheat seems to recycle dirt anyway).

Other option for renewable dirt would be through plantballs I think...Can't remember off the top of my head but yeah...wheat farms will give you solid amounts of wheat to make plantballs and then more dirt. Multifarm for wheat seemed to recycle it's stacks of dirt endlessly so you can't go wrong there.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry way of renewable dirt would be peat bog. Just use mulch in carpenter to get 8 bog earth per 4 dirt, specially if you changed difficulty of Forestry from easy. If you use peat in peat fired engines you will get ash which will increase fertilizer yield from apatite. Other solution would be to upgrade your trees. Here is output of tree farm after using 6 stacks of fertilizer (one stack of apatite with sand on medium difficulty) and a sapling: http://imgur.com/a/VAVuA . I should probably make them smaller, because farm consumes fertilizer for chopping down wood.