Share your progress on Infinity Evolved Expert Mode

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The main resources you'd want that it helps with are things like draconium and dragon hearts.

Although be warned, a dimension builder takes something like 1500 draconium and 300 awakened draconium, haven't looked at the numbers in a while.
Jebus.

I probably have around half that much draconium atm (although i'm gonna spend a good chunk of it tonight on draconic chestplate/leggings probably).

Not super looking forward to grinding the ender dragon that much. I'll prolly skip the RF Dimension thing. That technology makes sense for late game in a thematic sense, but from a gameplay perspective its definitely a midgame toy. By the time I can afford it it serves no purpose.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Been testing to see what works in the scanner. Bunch of metals don't work. Shiny ingots dont work surprisingly. Iridium works, not at all surprising.

Bedrockium ingots work. That was a shocker. They're like 5x more expensive than iridium though.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'll prolly skip the RF Dimension thing. That technology makes sense for late game in a thematic sense, but from a gameplay perspective its definitely a midgame toy. By the time I can afford it it serves no purpose.

I sorta came to the conclusion that RF Tools is indeed the "end-game-toy" in this modpack. First of all, the power required to run RF Tool Dimensions can be tremendous, and you only have that kind of power on-hand at the very end of the modpack (my Tier 7 Draconic Energy Storage is over half-full now with 2 max-size Big Reactor Turbines running 24/7, it will take one more week to fill it). Second, as Xavion showed with the numbers, the amount of Drac/Awakened raw materials required also is only available at the very end of the modpack.

I'm still (very slowly) grinding thru the 4 magic mods, in order to get to the point where I can finish the Draconic mod and make all the stuff... and then what's left? RF Tools, that's what. So it all has caused me to conclude that it is meant to be the final End Game mod we tackle and conquer. Perhaps players who really know the mod well could implement it much earlier in the pack, I dunno. Maybe they'll chime in with their progress.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I sorta came to the conclusion that RF Tools is indeed the "end-game-toy" in this modpack. First of all, the power required to run RF Tool Dimensions can be tremendous, and you only have that kind of power on-hand at the very end of the modpack (my Tier 7 Draconic Energy Storage is over half-full now with 2 max-size Big Reactor Turbines running 24/7, it will take one more week to fill it). Second, as Xavion showed with the numbers, the amount of Drac/Awakened raw materials required also is only available at the very end of the modpack.

I'm still (very slowly) grinding thru the 4 magic mods, in order to get to the point where I can finish the Draconic mod and make all the stuff... and then what's left? RF Tools, that's what. So it all has caused me to conclude that it is meant to be the final End Game mod we tackle and conquer. Perhaps players who really know the mod well could implement it much earlier in the pack, I dunno. Maybe they'll chime in with their progress.

asb3pe, you've demonstrated why it IS the end-game (which I already agree with), my concern is that its not designed as one from a gameplay perspective (for tech players anyway; adventurers or builders I can't speak for). This is actually really easily demonstrated when you look at its "vanilla" material costs.

For tech players, dimensions are a resource acquisition method. For instance, in one world (A tentative infitech instance we looked at) I needed yellorium, so I made a world that was mostly void except for "streamers" of stone that made it easier to find yellorium: it stood out due to the color of the sky and the lack of exploratory mining required.

It wasn't a world made out of yellorium: that would have been prohibitively expensive. It was just a world that made yellorium easier to find.

I think for a lot of types of players, having RF dimensions as end game will still make sense. But for hardcore tech players its a bit lacking: we've already conquered the modpack so there's no reason to create dimensions.

(I don't have a suggested substitute in lieu of RFTools dimensions. Like I said, thematically it makes tons of sense)

Reactions: Dentvar and BIG mac

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
asb3pe, you've demonstrated why it IS the end-game (which I already agree with), my concern is that its not designed as one from a gameplay perspective (for tech players anyway; adventurers or builders I can't speak for). This is actually really easily demonstrated when you look at its "vanilla" material costs.

For tech players, dimensions are a resource acquisition method. For instance, in one world (A tentative infitech instance we looked at) I needed yellorium, so I made a world that was mostly void except for "streamers" of stone that made it easier to find yellorium: it stood out due to the color of the sky and the lack of exploratory mining required.

It wasn't a world made out of yellorium: that would have been prohibitively expensive. It was just a world that made yellorium easier to find.

I think for a lot of types of players, having RF dimensions as end game will still make sense. But for hardcore tech players its a bit lacking: we've already conquered the modpack so there's no reason to create dimensions.

(I don't have a suggested substitute in lieu of RFTools dimensions. Like I said, thematically it makes tons of sense)

Expert mode is not giving you a clear endgame. It gives you a more specific playthrough to get into all mods.
The last of the mods or at least the most difficult to reach, is RFTools.
But that does not convert it to be Endgame. We are still playing a modpack that is not HQM related. So its a sandbox world were you put your own targets and it only will give you a different form on how to reach those.
Thats the point were the old vanilla minecraft discusion comes up if there is a "reason" to play once you have all stuff. Which I wont go further into here for obvious reasons.

But you cant "blame" the modpack to lack end game content for hardcore tech players when there was never the decire to give you that.
That does not mean you are wrong about RFTools not beeing a target for people like us since the moment we get there we have already everything we could get from it. But thats a other discusion I think.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Expert mode is not giving you a clear endgame. It gives you a more specific playthrough to get into all mods.
The last of the mods or at least the most difficult to reach, is RFTools.
But that does not convert it to be Endgame. We are still playing a modpack that is not HQM related. So its a sandbox world were you put your own targets and it only will give you a different form on how to reach those.
Thats the point were the old vanilla minecraft discusion comes up if there is a "reason" to play once you have all stuff. Which I wont go further into here for obvious reasons.

But you cant "blame" the modpack to lack end game content for hardcore tech players when there was never the decire to give you that.
That does not mean you are wrong about RFTools not beeing a target for people like us since the moment we get there we have already everything we could get from it. But thats a other discusion I think.
No real argument from me here; you're not really disputing anything. Like you alluded to, for me there really IS no reason to play once I have "all the stuff". I stop playing at that point and move onto something else, or restart the pack with a new plan if its particularly re-playable.

I'm certainly not "blaming" anyone. If this is a problem; its a problem I can fix on my side to make the pack more hardcore-tech-player-friendly. The pack isn't designed specifically for me, so that's 100% understandable. Not everyone's as good at expert-level tech as me :)

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
No real argument from me here; you're not really disputing anything. Like you alluded to, for me there really IS no reason to play once I have "all the stuff". I stop playing at that point and move onto something else, or restart the pack with a new plan if its particularly re-playable.

I'm certainly not "blaming" anyone. If this is a problem; its a problem I can fix on my side to make the pack more hardcore-tech-player-friendly. The pack isn't designed specifically for me, so that's 100% understandable. Not everyone's as good at expert-level tech as me :)

Thats fine. If you like to play as that no harm done :) Actually I do the same. Understood you wrong there I suppose about what was the purpuse of your post then.

Oh... and here take that cookie for beeing a Pro Expert Tech guy ;)
upload_2016-2-2_16-58-29.jpeg

PD: Wrote the Cookie word right this time :)

Reactions: Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Great discussion on end-game... my own input is that I wish that the modpack had included Galacticraft in it, so that our end-game goal could have been to get into space and land on other planets. I guess the problem is the Galacticraft mod really doesn't have a whole lot of content on those extra planets. So it's not really "end-game-ready". It would have to be tweaked somehow. But it's just the idea, the concept, that a true end game condition of making a spaceship and rocketing off to other worlds, would have been perfect... for me anyways.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I never used galacticraft. It is always on my wishlist, but I end up exactly with the same problem as you just mantioned. No reason to go into it.
There is a mining machine now I think that could give a reason if there were no quarry. And in infinity expert mode you could change stuff so you would get certain ores only up on other planets.
So actually I think this modpack had all it needed to get it into it in a good way.
but for some reason it did not made the way.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Goodness, iridium ore is expensive (the nugget rather than the ore, stupidly named legacy thing)
plutonium + rtg + 80mil RF in the assembly table. Even at 2000 rf/t that took a while (33 mins according to the power of math)

Currently scanning it, wonder how redonkulous the replication version is.

edit: 120mb, well that's a no brainer.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm ok. I feel like I ran into a bunch of bannered obelisks but who knows.

I eventually found an occupied altar 14km from base. Soul vials are done. Yay :)
Bit after the fact, but one of your previous posts mentioned that you play on peaceful for the most part, which would most certainly kill off any clerics that happened to have been generated or stop them from appearing if the obelisk was generated while on peaceful.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Myself and a couple friends put nearly a month into expert mode before our server unfortunately crashed beyond repair - not sure if it was due to the draconic reactor explosion or something else but our last functioning backup was a couple days old and given how close we were to 'finishing' and planning to restart anyway for introducing some new players to modded FTB it seemed a sign.

I'd put down a list of goals once we had RFtools started, including things like:
Full Draconic Gear for each (more expensive than i expected and surprisingly the dense emerald was the last component needed
Draconic Reactor (that turned out well...)
Maxed draconic storage (woo solar/wind power)
Creative Cell/Tank/Mana Pool. We had a couple cells and could create the next 2 within 24 hours realtime, all mats ready for tank and just needed 2 more pearls for the pearl with a prepared altar. A shame really.

We didn't finish the last 2... which is a little unfortunate :)

What I enjoyed about this pack was how much I used other mods that I tended to not touch, particularly magic mods -

Botania 'isn't' that bad, but was a constant source of frustration at every turn as we never dedicated to it. The gaia guardian toys were really fun - oh how I love the key / FATE ripoff. The empowered gaia guardian was an absolute monster before we knew anything about him (and having various gear such as soularium jetplate, longfall boots, etc. unenchanted) and we barely managed it, only managing due to there being 2 of us and the second guy after dying throwing red hearts into hte arena for me to eat to regen until i could get enough hits on him. From then on I brought notch apples to dangerous things. We didn't find a mana source we were truly happy with until long after it was important (god bless kekimuru's!), but in the future I imagine cake farms will be our go-to for mid to late game botany.

Blood Magic was a mod I'd done notable amounts of in the past, prior to demon invasion. My opinion of the mod didn't really change, but we did all that stuff this time around. Arcane blocks made this a pain at first but we got accustomed to making them.

I despise thaumcraft. Doing nearly all of it didn't change that, the only good part about it was the thaumic energistics. This was my third or fourth attempt at it, too.

Witchery was fun, very quirky.

Other notables things were...
This was our first play with RF-tools dimensions, very easy and quite enjoyable although we are always hesitant with the server load (we ended up with about 15 RFtools dimensions based on various adjustments, on top of the usual nether, end, TF, outerlands, spirit realm?, others i probably forget). Extremely powerful tech and I can see why it was all gated endgame. Had previously used some of hte RF monitoring + endergenic generators but that was it prior. Yet to use the forcefield tech (due to cost on this server, generally).

Always avoided Steve's carts and will still likely avoid it. Setting up a tree farm wasnt that bad and it was a pretty cool little thing when it worked, but I never intend to make large amounts of enhanced galgadorian blocks again. First time I've ever made a ghast spawner, admittedly.

Runic dungeons continues to be a promising yet in my opinion not ready for main-ftb packs mod. It's a complete beta right now and should probably solve issues like the mass duplication of their 'witherproof' blocks, block protection, etc. Looking forward to dungeon tiers too.

First time using conduits 'properly' (block sharing), was pretty snazzy.

We hit awkward road blocks as the book wasn't working when we started. Waiting for the AE seed etc. the day after we prepared all the other stuff, horses, so on.

It was nice to build an IC2 reactor again, if only to produce plutonium.

Overall, I hope they consider doing a pack like this again in the future (maybe 1.8.9?). It'd be great to re-do with some possibly new set of mods. We had tried daybreaker before, but being experienced with mekanism it didn't last long.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Bit after the fact, but one of your previous posts mentioned that you play on peaceful for the most part, which would most certainly kill off any clerics that happened to have been generated or stop them from appearing if the obelisk was generated while on peaceful.
Yeah, if you read my posts you saw me acknowledge this possibility. I just couldn't justify how far out I had to go before I generated new obelisks that had clerics (12-14km or some such)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Back to progress: by my count, I think I need 128 iridium ore in order to make an energy acceptor for AE2. In terms of pure "matter" costs that's probably the most expensive thing I've needed to build in MC. Neato.

I'm going to have to drastically upgrade my mass fab situation. I have two mass fabs that eat scrap that is generated primarily from my ender quarry (via 3 recycles with 8 overclockers each. Yes that's energy inefficient but I have virtually unlimited energy). I'm going to have to add like 6 more mass fabs probably, and overclock them if I can. Lots more recyclers. And I'm going to have to feed them with cobblegens, although that really offends my gods because cobble is blacklisted in gregtech. But whatever, them's the rules.

What I won't do: leave my world running overnight to let things amass. I refuse :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Back to progress: by my count, I think I need 128 iridium ore in order to make an energy acceptor for AE2. In terms of pure "matter" costs that's probably the most expensive thing I've needed to build in MC. Neato.

I'm going to have to drastically upgrade my mass fab situation. I have two mass fabs that eat scrap that is generated primarily from my ender quarry (via 3 recycles with 8 overclockers each. Yes that's energy inefficient but I have virtually unlimited energy). I'm going to have to add like 6 more mass fabs probably, and overclock them if I can. Lots more recyclers. And I'm going to have to feed them with cobblegens, although that really offends my gods because cobble is blacklisted in gregtech. But whatever, them's the rules.

What I won't do: leave my world running overnight to let things amass. I refuse :)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Don't make an Energy Acceptor, make the ME Controller instead. The reasoning is... ME Controller can perform the same function as the Energy Acceptor, but it can obviously also do double-duty as the Network Controller, once you get to that point (and you will of course). If you make the Energy Acceptor, you are still going to have to make the ME Controller later on, requiring another few hundred Iridium Ores.

Yeah, I have 60 Recyclers running, each with 7 Overclockers. They require two separate ExtraUtils Cobblegen setups because a single Cobblegen could not keep up even tho I had 6 stacks of World Interaction Upgrades. Splitting the feed of cobble seemed to do the trick for me - two separate setups each with 3 stacks of WIU's.

Making multiple Mass Fabricators is an interesting topic to me. The Mass Fabs require no overclocker upgrades, and the more power you give them, the faster they will run (out to infinity). My theory is that you shouldn't spam the Mass Fabs, but instead you should only make one or two and give them all your power so they run as fast as possible. It's a balancing act, between the power you can supply to the Recyclers and Mass Fabs, how many of each machine to use, how many overclockers to use in each Recycler, how much cobblestone your cobblegen can put out (those World Interaction Upgrades are hugely expensive in this modpack)... your rate of Scrapbox production, etc.

Having said all that, I'm now up to 12 Mass Fabs, which are powered by 12 MFSU's which are recharged by 12 Ultimate Solar Panels. It's overkill now, to the point where I simply stopped making more Solars and just am letting the thousands of Iridium Plates pile up in my AE system. LOL It's the glowstone (for the Sunnarium) that becomes the issue, I run Witches around the clock in my MFR Auto-Spawner setup simply for the glowstone dust.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
IMPORTANT NOTE:
Don't make an Energy Acceptor, make the ME Controller instead. The reasoning is... ME Controller can perform the same function as the Energy Acceptor, but it can obviously also do double-duty as the Network Controller, once you get to that point (and you will of course). If you make the Energy Acceptor, you are still going to have to make the ME Controller later on, requiring another few hundred Iridium Ores.

Yeah, I have 60 Recyclers running, each with 7 Overclockers. They require two separate ExtraUtils Cobblegen setups because a single Cobblegen could not keep up even tho I had 6 stacks of World Interaction Upgrades. Splitting the feed of cobble seemed to do the trick for me - two separate setups each with 3 stacks of WIU's.

Making multiple Mass Fabricators is an interesting topic to me. The Mass Fabs require no overclocker upgrades, and the more power you give them, the faster they will run (out to infinity). My theory is that you shouldn't spam the Mass Fabs, but instead you should only make one or two and give them all your power so they run as fast as possible. It's a balancing act, between the power you can supply to the Recyclers and Mass Fabs, how many of each machine to use, how many overclockers to use in each Recycler, how much cobblestone your cobblegen can put out (those World Interaction Upgrades are hugely expensive in this modpack)... your rate of Scrapbox production, etc.

Having said all that, I'm now up to 12 Mass Fabs, which are powered by 12 MFSU's which are recharged by 12 Ultimate Solar Panels. It's overkill now, to the point where I simply stopped making more Solars and just am letting the thousands of Iridium Plates pile up in my AE system. LOL
Fantastic feedback all around. I can never rememeber all the requirements for an AE2 system (despite having set them up in each of my last few worlds). I didn't realize the energy acceptor wasn't critical. I take it the ME Controller itself still requires tons of iridium ore? (probably requires that one component that needs 128 iridium ore I'm guessing)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Fantastic feedback all around. I can never rememeber all the requirements for an AE2 system (despite having set them up in each of my last few worlds). I didn't realize the energy acceptor wasn't critical. I take it the ME Controller itself still requires tons of iridium ore? (probably requires that one component that needs 128 iridium ore I'm guessing)

I'm not in-game, but I believe there won't be any real difference between the two recipes, if you look. The "killer" requirement for either item is that Quantum Core.

You can def run AE storage with just an Energy Acceptor, a Drive, a Terminal and a few hard drives. Normally, in most modpacks, that's what you would do - just make the Energy Acceptor because there's no need for a Controller block with such a simple setup. But in this modpack, since items are so expensive, it makes much more sense to make the ME Controller right away, so you're not wasting your valuable materials by having to make TWO expensive items when you could have gotten away with making just one.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not in-game, but I believe there won't be any real difference between the two recipes, if you look. The "killer" requirement for either item is that Quantum Core.
that would be that "one component" I mentioned, yeah. I'm not in-game either, darn work hours.

This is interesting. I guess I can still do external networks just by connecting them by fibre or whatever that wire is that provides power. So long as I don't mind all my networks being tethered together. Normally my thaumcraft (thaumic energistics) network might be entirely separate.

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
I have two mass fabs that eat scrap that is generated primarily from my ender quarry (via 3 recycles with 8 overclockers each. Yes that's energy inefficient but I have virtually unlimited energy).

Do yourself a favor and add two more - it will actually be more energy efficient (defined here as EU consumed to process 1 cobblestone) to bring it down to 1 tick per cycle. I found recyclers have a number of weird breakpoints when I checked recently. 1 overclocker is more efficient than 0 overclockers, and 5 & 6 have the exact same efficiency. 10 is only using about 5% more EU per scrap than 7. So it basically only makes sense to have 1-4, 6, or 10 overclockers in your recyclers.

Details from: http://ftbwiki.org/Overclocker_Upgrade

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to make a Cafefarm for botania mana but turns out the flower requires pixel dust so I need the Elven Portal so I need to progress still a good amount into Thaumcraft and Witchery.
Alternative I can think about is a Coalfarm then.
I was thinking about a WitherSkeleton Farm in the Nether but I also saw posts on Redcap Goblins from twitghlight forest giving coal and the posibility to use a MFR Spawner in the overworld to spawn them.
Could anyone confirm if this is a thing and if the MFR Spawner works as usual in Expert mode?