[1.7.10] Oil and Steel (Looking for people)

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
UPDATE: Project delayed indefinitely, see curseforge page for details.

I'm looking for ideas, people to help, people to test, or anything else you'd like to contribute regarding my first pack that I'm making.

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/oil-and-steel

Mod List: http://imgur.com/wFMXzcp (Not final in any way, I'll make it into a text form later)

My general plan is to make it similar to Infinity's expert mode, using some newer mods.

I'm making a focus on using Magneticraft and Pneumaticcraft for mid game, having Railcraft and Forestry be early game. Late game hasn't been fleshed out yet (Maybe thermal expansion, mfr, and the like?), and I've yet to decide on whether I'll add any magic mods. Transportation of items will be difficult in the early game, so using rails and the like will be more resource efficient. Conveyors will be later game, and thermal dynamics very end game.

I'm also thinking about making mobs a lot harder so you have to build defenses as well.

Some things that I won't do:
Add mods that make hunger more of a problem.
Add IC2/Gregtech
Add Buildcraft

Things I want/need
Suggestions in general
Some auto mining solutions that use the mods from the list, as I'm not super familiar with all of them.
Someone really good and fast with minetweaker, as I'm only okay with it
An artist willing to make a banner and/or a better icon
Someone who is willing to host a test server once it gets to that point

I'll edit the post as time goes on.

Last edited:

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft tunnelbore automines... Just not convenient to use.
Pneumaticraft drones can auto mine, farm, build... Just about anything you want.
Mfr laser drill generates ores for rf.

All mfr machines automate something in a simple easy way. If they are available before drones they would negate pnematicraft. If they are after then the effort on drones might feel like a waste.

Thermal expansion tesseracts negate railcraft.

Magneticraft the mod you are looking to feature? Looks similar to immersive engineering in style, what does magnetic do that you like?

Between mfr and te almost evrything you need for a base can be automated. They lack a big power generator, but that is about it. I would avoid MFR and maybe TE if nothing depends on it.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Railcraft tunnelbore automines... Just not convenient to use.
Pneumaticraft drones can auto mine, farm, build... Just about anything you want.
Mfr laser drill generates ores for rf.

All mfr machines automate something in a simple easy way. If they are available before drones they would negate pnematicraft. If they are after then the effort on drones might feel like a waste.

Thermal expansion tesseracts negate railcraft.

Magneticraft the mod you are looking to feature? Looks similar to immersive engineering in style, what does magnetic do that you like?

Between mfr and te almost evrything you need for a base can be automated. They lack a big power generator, but that is about it. I would avoid MFR and maybe TE if nothing depends on it.
I'm planning to minetweaker the hell out of this, so TE and MFR are super end game. Tesseracts included. Still a complete wip and I haven't gotten that far with the tweaking yet.

As to why I'm featuring Magneticraft, I think it deserves a feature.

Sent from my Barrel of Fun using Tapatalk

Bluedog444

Jul 29, 2019
I've had the same kind of idea for a pack like this. Except I wanted to make it easier in terms of mobs. Heres the notes/ideas I had.
The idea I had focused on getting the player to explore more if they wanted an easier crafting recipe.

I think your idea is great in terms of using the more obscure mods.

-Advanced Machines require rarer metals (metallurgy)
-Two recipes for certain things. Exploration(Easyier) based and normal(Harder)
-Cross mod recipes

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I've had the same kind of idea for a pack like this. Except I wanted to make it easier in terms of mobs. Heres the notes/ideas I had.
The idea I had focused on getting the player to explore more if they wanted an easier crafting recipe.

I think your idea is great in terms of using the more obscure mods.

-Advanced Machines require rarer metals (metallurgy)
-Two recipes for certain things. Exploration(Easyier) based and normal(Harder)
-Cross mod recipes

I'm thinking of using some of the obscure thermal expansion alloys in recipes that are higher level (thermal expansion and MFR). Perhaps making my own as well.

Cross mod recipes are top priority.

Having exploration make things easier is actually a good idea. I'm thinking of using recurrent complex to make custom structures which contain alternate recipes that must be learned to be used. Not sure how that's going to work yet.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Barrel of Fun using Tapatalk