Expert mode - per server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
I can see the reasoning for having it as a server wide value.
However some players tried to convince me it was a player based setting - allowing everyone to be on normal mode if they desire, and those who wish to be on expert mode to indulge in expert mode.

Am I right in saying that this is untrue, and it is a server wide setting that affects everyone.
Eg: If one person is expert mode, they all are?

I almost thought it was a bug last night, when I saw Diamond pickaxes with durability of 1.
If people want to have that as a feature thats fine - but I don't feel it 'just' to force the extra difficulty on the rest of the players who may not be that familiar with ftb mods.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If I'm reading it correctly, the setting is server wide. As it takes an OP to be able to use the command.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
It's server wide, a player can't just cheat his way via normal mode on a expert mode server.

You realize that tools having a durability of 1 is an incredible minor part of the overall changes. If that stumps you, then you won't get anywhere in expert mode because 90% of the recipes are much more complex and require things from ALL the mods in the pack. If you don't want to play expert mode, don't play on a server with it enabled. No one is "forcing" you to play expert mode... It is disabled by default and you choose to play on a server with it enabled.

Having a server where some people can be on normal and others on expert would be, quite frankly, stupid. It wouldn't make sense. It defeats the whole purpose of the tech/magic progression tree that only exists on expert mode. It's an entirely different game.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
I get this -
I have no real interest in expert mode - but some players were wanting expert mode, trying to say that it was a per player setting - guess they either lied or just didnt care about the other players.
I ended up going back to normal though cause the regular players were being affected.

Reactions: DeathOfTime