Is there any hope for me?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what's wrong with your laptop, but my flimsy 4gb samsung notebook can run Infinity Evolved at about 20-30 fps, which is 100% playable by me. With, of course, smaller render distance, fog off, mipmap set to 0, etc etc.
What is your other computer specs and how much RAM do you allocate?

Like was said earlier. Try lowering the settings. There are a lot of settings in the video options to try out.

As for linux. I really like the idea. Just not the reality. I happen to had the best experience with Linux Mint. Debian is near impossible for me to do anything with. Ubuntu is alright. If you have no experience with linux I wouldn't recommend it at all. Even in a dual boot situation. Especially if you aren't very computer savvy in the first place. If you want to try it go for Mint. Every time I have installed linux of any sort it has always ended in suffering and ultimately disappointment. I do remember that I ran into serious issues trying to run 1.7.10 packs on linux. I couldn't be sure of the issue. I was only getting 4 FPS or so though. Where on windows I would usually get 30 FPS.

If you can't out right buy a new computer you might try other strategies for acquiring one. The best one for me was buying it piece by piece trading out components of my old PC as I was able. Didn't go as planned. Still worked in the end though. I don't think a single part is left from the original e-machine that I had purchased. Which brings up another point. You can build a computer capable of playing games for a lot less then what most might think to spend on it. Last I looked the most a budget PC should cost is $600. This is including the operating system. Don't buy brand name PCs, ever. Even generic brands are a rip off. Same might go for pre-built too. I am not for sure. Buy all the parts separately. Then build it yourself. If you aren't comfortable doing it then look among the people you trust for someone that is. As a last resort research local Computer stores to see if any are up to the task.

((While writing this post I managed to press a shortcut combination twice. One opened chromes html checker thingy. The other a new window. Seriously, I would love to have all shortcuts disabled. I don't like keyboard shortcuts and tend not to use them. It may not seem it but all together this post took a long time to write. I have to correct constant spelling and grammar mistakes I make. Not to mention the outright deletions I made to entire sections to make the post easier to digest and possibly ramble a little less. Not really important. Just wanted to add this on at the end.))
Wow, thanks for the suggestion. Sadly i am not familier with linux, and i currently do not have to money to buy a new computer or upgrade my laptop. Thanks for the awesome suggestion though.

I agree with @DeathOfTime on rebuilding, as long as you know what you're doing.

I upgraded from a single core AMD CPU to my current FX8350 this way...
First, I upgraded my mobo to a new version supporting both single and dual core CPUs (and the same ram). Then I upgraded to a dual core CPU. Next I upgraded to a mobo that supported both AM2 and AM3+ CPU sockets (current CPU was AM2), although I had to swap from DDR2 to DDR3 ram as well.

Once I had the DDR3 ram and AM3+ socket, the next update was my FX 8350. My last update was my current mobo, a first gen Sabertooth 990 (all my mobos are ASUS). I can now update either my CPU to the latest speed or Ram, from 1333Mhz to any speed up to 2100Mhz. If I can swing it I'd like to do a package of both + a new Mobo, to get rid of all USB support older than V2.0, perhaps even 2.0 as well since all versions are supported by V3.0, and to move to faster Ram with more capacity.

I currently have 8GB of a 32GB capacity, which is enough for now, but 64GB would be nice to grow into and even though the price of ram is dropping I'd rather pay for ram that would work in both configs... I'd rather add ram than replace it. :D

I want to build a UEFI loader partition to create a ramdrive, copy the basic boot image to it and mark it as the boot partition, running the base system without having to touch a physical drive. "Disk" access times in the nanoSeconds instead of milliSeconds? Yes, Please!
:O You have some computer.

Reactions: DeathOfTime