Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhhhhhhh

Ro5CDoY.jpg

How... quirky
;)

... At first glance, I'm thinking that you just shift chunks up. But ... some of them are flat, so it's a little more than that.

Meanwhile ... Mystcraft instability idea!

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
So I made this:
5QGsgVT.jpg

with nothing but this:
Code:
{
  "dimension": 5,
  "terrain": {
    "type": "FLAT",
    "data": {
      "layers": [
        {"block": "bedrock", "range": 0},
        {"block": "dirt", "range": "2-10"},
        {"block": "grass", "range": 11}
      ]
    }
  },
  "features": [
    {"type": "LAKES"}
  ]
}
Where did you put this, in the superflat customization box?

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Question for you then. Did you like the old mini game as well, or do you only like the new one?

If by "old" minigame you mean the "eat all the items" one from 1.5.2-era, then no. I'm talking about the one where you connect the lines of aspect symbols across the pages; if there's a newer minigame out, I'm not currently aware of it. :p (Is TC for 1.8 even out yet? Because I have yet to touch 1.8 and don't really plan to do so for the foreseeable future.)

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
If by "old" minigame you mean the "eat all the items" one from 1.5.2-era, then no. I'm talking about the one where you connect the lines of aspect symbols across the pages; if there's a newer minigame out, I'm not currently aware of it. :p (Is TC for 1.8 even out yet? Because I have yet to touch 1.8 and don't really plan to do so for the foreseeable future.)

Still in the works, with some pretty heavy reworks planned, I believe some core features like scanning are being changed or entirely scrapped last I heard.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

The one before the current one, but after the one where you had to sacrifice all your resources for research. It's basically where you have to connect different nodes together by moving various symbols out of the way.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
Of all TC's minigames, the current one is the first that hasn't turned me away from TC completely. I'd say it could be pretty interesting if they made you optimize your solution in some way, but as it stands I've always found it easier to throw together a sloppy solution and recycle some items for essences.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
The one before the current one, but after the one where you had to sacrifice all your resources for research. It's basically where you have to connect different nodes together by moving various symbols out of the way.

Oh, right, forgot about that one. No, not a fan of that (though it was a step in the right direction). There's something about the current system that feels right, if only the research points weren't such a pain to get and manage.

Reactions: Padfoote

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
I have nothing against the current way its done, except that it doesn't fit very well with replayability. When you're restarting a server, or playing on a new server/modpack and starting out on Thaumcraft for the 27th time, it really feels tedious at best. The problem is that there's a set list of items that you can scan to get most if not all aspects and a set number of combinations to complete most of the researches that you will encounter. It's a great system when you're playing the first few times but after that it just feels like a pointless exercise of repetition, which I don't experience when I am playing mods that establish progression based gating through in-game crafting (unless you count nested crafting, ugh) and infrastructure setup.

For example, I've played through Botania a few times, but setting up the Runic Altar and crafting my first set of all the runes for the first few times when I'm making the different flowers and baubles does not feel like pointless repetition, strangely enough. Maybe I'm just annoyed by having to do the pointless repetition while staring at an interface rather than doing it in-world.