Returning to modded MC, need help /advice

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Some of you old timers might remember me from last year, I used to post fairly often and have around 1k posts here. Point is: I took a nine-month break from modded MC and am super out-of-the-loop. I mean, back when I left Thermal Dynamics was just released and still too unstable to be put into packs. Yeah. So anyway, a few questions:
  • We're apparently still on 1.7.10. What happened with 1.8?
  • Are 90% of popular packs still gimmick-based singleplayer "hardcore" HQM ones, or are we past that?
  • Any notable new mods or large updates to old mods? Notably I have already seen that Botania got several significant nerfs (funny considering it was already a low-tier mod power-wise).
  • Back when I left there were debates on power systems as Thermal Dynamics was coming in, but a lot of people liked EnderIO. What's the general consensus nowadays on that matter?
  • Are people using Mekanism yet? Is it even a thing anymore?
  • What's the big pack for multiplayer right now?
  • Are there any major 3rd party packs outside of FTB like there were in 1.6 (Resonant Rise, etc.).
  • Is IC2 still alive? Did it somehow preform necromancy on itself and become the powerhouse it was again?

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
1. Because updating to 1.8 is a big hassle and most of the mainstream mod authors have said they will not update to 1.8. And because 1.8 sux.
2. Yeah, a lot of the packs are HQM, but the really good packs don't even need HQM imo.
3. Aura cascade, I guess buildcraft was updated to 7.0.0.
4. I have no idea, but all the mods you just listed all run on RF now.
5. Yes, people are using Mekanism. The only public FTB pack that uses it is Horizons.
6. Infinity.
7. @Phoenixlodge 's Regrowth, the skies the limit 250+ mods, Infinitech
8. I preferably don't use IC2 because I love rf, so I have no idea.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
  1. Never happening it looks like, thankfully. 1.8 is the biggest disaster for modded MC that we've seen in a while, arguably of all time.
  2. Nope, we aren't past that sadly. There are some good packs that aren't built around HQM such as InfiTech though.
  3. Probably, but I'm not the best one to try to update someone on mod changes.
  4. Power systems are always in debate if there's a thread that pops up about it, but for the most part people just stick to their own systems and leave the other party alone.
  5. It's in Horizons, and is still in use outside of official FTB packs.
  6. I'd imagine it's either Horizons or Infinity.
  7. RR is still around, as is Technic. FTB also has what seems like a far larger number of third party packs than it did about a year ago, so those are always an option as well.
  8. It's alive, but barely. Every time I've seen it mentioned lately it was not in a positive light.
Hopefully that covers most of what you asked. Welcome back to the forums, hopefully everyone can help get you back up to speed with MC.

Reactions: gold49

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Some of you old timers might remember me from last year, I used to post fairly often and have around 1k posts here. Point is: I took a nine-month break from modded MC and am super out-of-the-loop. I mean, back when I left Thermal Dynamics was just released and still too unstable to be put into packs. Yeah. So anyway, a few questions:
  • We're apparently still on 1.7.10. What happened with 1.8?
  • Are 90% of popular packs still gimmick-based singleplayer "hardcore" HQM ones, or are we past that?
  • Any notable new mods or large updates to old mods? Notably I have already seen that Botania got several significant nerfs (funny considering it was already a low-tier mod power-wise).
  • Back when I left there were debates on power systems as Thermal Dynamics was coming in, but a lot of people liked EnderIO. What's the general consensus nowadays on that matter?
  • Are people using Mekanism yet? Is it even a thing anymore?
  • What's the big pack for multiplayer right now?
  • Are there any major 3rd party packs outside of FTB like there were in 1.6 (Resonant Rise, etc.).
  • Is IC2 still alive? Did it somehow preform necromancy on itself and become the powerhouse it was again?

1. 1.8 is essentially Minecraft 1.3. It's a version in the middle of a massive refactor with some potentially great changes, which means it's buggy, useless and hard to code for.
2. Yes, because people like that.
3. Nine months?... BuildCraft got a series of massive updates since then, GregTech 5 Unofficial happened (so now we have a full end-game-content GregTech), IC2 Classic for 1.7.10. Also, Immersive Engineering (fancy multiblocks: the mod) is the new hyped thing.
4. RF has taken over everything, except for EU (IC2/GregTech), Factorization and Reika's mods.
5. Yes.
6. Out of the loop on that as well, sorry.
7. Regrowth?
8. IC2 Classic lives on, now compatible with almost every IC2 addon; IC2 Experimental also lives on, but it will likely not get the popularity it once had at this point.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
  • We're going to be on 1.7 forever, I'm thinking it'll be the last modded java version until people switch to the C++ Microsoft version(forge guys already in talks)
  • There's still a bunch of HQM packs but no "official" FTB ones anymore, most downloaded pack is Infinity at the moment
  • Well firstly Botania ain't a "low-tier" mod, it's progressed massively and has huge amount of content. Other mods that have added new content include Witchery and all the Thaumcraft addons, as well as almost all the other mods to be fair. The big new kids on the block have to be Draconic Evolution and RF Tools.
  • Ender IO is good for very compact builds with multiple pipes in a block, Thermal Dynamics looks better and for me feels "cleaner" and nicer to use. Basically is a personal choice
  • Yes people use it, no it's not in any official packs
  • Infinity
  • Yes plenty I think but I only play Infinity
  • Indeed it is, did a whole IC2exp build in my world just recently. The nested crafting is a glorious pain in the arse but the nukes are still the most fun power system to build.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
  • We're going to be on 1.7 forever, I'm thinking it'll be the last modded java version until people switch to the C++ Microsoft version(forge guys already in talks)

I doubt that. Not only will the "Pocket/Win10 Edition" modding API be far more limited than our essentially unlimited access to the game we have now, it's a different language which involves hefty amounts of porting. I think the Java mods will survive for quite a long time.

(Also, C++ is terrible.)

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt that. Not only will the "Pocket/Win10 Edition" modding API be far more limited than our essentially unlimited access to the game we have now, it's a different language which involves hefty amounts of porting. I think the Java mods will survive for quite a long time.

(Also, C++ is terrible.)

Thanks for the info