[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
When you're actually using more than 4 gigs, upping the allocation works, and there are command line arguments to tweak the GC... but that's all WAY above my knowledge pay grade

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I haven't found many command line arguments that actually make a significant difference since upgrading Java to 1.8.

It works. I'd like it to work better, but at least it works.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I just started a new world to finally attempt this challenge. I think I got a pretty good location for a ocean-based city.
RJrbzEI.jpg

I've named it Dolphin Isle.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
If you use a rotten-flesh to leather mod (or just add a quick minetweaker line to do the same thing) it makes life a little easier when cows/horses end up being rather rare.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the only downside is that I've had to cheat in a few materials out of not wanting to leave the island ?leather sugar cane, etc.)
It's fine - it's for !!SCIENCE!! :p
You could always just grab Ex Nihilo, and maybe some other "make mobs you don't have" mod. I'm sure looking through AgSkies will help w/ that.
An interesting thing is that most skyblock maps could be played equally well as island maps, or even under water (my personal favorite, even/especially in vanilla :)).
If you use a rotten-flesh to leather mod (or just add a quick minetweaker line to do the same thing) it makes life a little easier when cows/horses end up being rather rare.
Ninja'd by this.
Yeah, this is also pretty good.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The availability of grass for me is irrelevant. I can't stand rotten flesh being mostly useless in many modpacks, so I nearly always include a flesh-to-leather smelting recipe. If you can't join em, wear em!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It's like 25 blocks from true spawn that blocks passive spawns
Huh?

I don't understand what you mean here. I've spawned in places to have passive mobs practically licking my face as I login. Maybe it had something to do with the spawn-protection setting? I always set mine to 1, as I have no need of spawn protection.

If that's the case, I never knew it had any effect on passives spawning.

Edit: Googling isn't helping. Nothing I'm finding is pointing at passives having any problem spawning anywhere near true spawn. I guess I'll have to wait for you to clarify. ;)

Edit, the sequel: Ok, found something:

According to something I found posted by King_korihor over on minecraft forums, these "conditions" apply to passive mob spawning.

• There is a mob cap of 15 passive creatures in a 17x17 area.
  • Blocks they spawn on must be grass blocks, with light level 9 or higher.
  • With multiple eligible blocks, the "highest" block in a column of blocks gets preference for spawning
  • No player can be within 24 blocks of the block
  • Passive mobs only spawn every 20 seconds (or an attempt happens about every 20 seconds)
  • Can't be a desert, beach, river, and ocean biomes
  • Must have at least two air blocks above grass blocks
  • Be in the Overworld (for initial spawns into the game).
This still doesn't seem to hold true when I clearly log in to areas where I find a sheep in my face, so there is that to wonder about.

Edit #3 (The Prequel?):
IwlctES.png
Can you tell I'm having a really slow morning today?

Last edited:

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
I am interested in doing this challenge again, I did some of it once before and enjoyed it, but there wasn't enough guidelines for me to go on and I suck at building, so it sort of trailed off....

What are my best options for modpacks to use while doing the challenge? Both mod-wise and restriction-wise. I want lots of mods to play with, when I can, but any in-game restrictions would also be great, just to make sure I am not doing something I shouldn't be :p

I am planning on having a look at the files from the first dropbox link on the below Reddit page for my requirements for each stage, let me know if that one is good, or if there is a better way/place to find them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2w1nbm/refugee_to_regent_challenge/

I will start watching some of the let's plays I can find also - I watched some of Mobius last time.

I'd love to be able to do the challenge with someone who can build awesome cool buildings for me xD That way we can both explore and they can build the buildings to look cool

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
If I ever get a line drawn in the sand with regards to a set of mods to play with, a server would be nice. I'm intending to try my hand at recording a let's play at the same time, so getting a solid server that doesn't suffer from extreme lag due to the modpack is kinda critical. Forgecraft seems to have suffered through several iterations of having their server die due to extreme lag, and given the nature of this challenge, I really don't want the server dying before the challenge completes.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You're confusing True Spawn with fuzzed spawn, Senseidragon. Also I forgot it's ANY spawn point, beds included. Copied from the wiki so nobody has to alt-tab. As far as I'm aware, only slimes have biome requirements built into their spawn algorithm. The other "limits" are actually biome specific lists. Like Sky (end biome) only allows endermen, and Hell (nether biome) only allows pigmen, magma cubes, ghasts, blaze, and skeletons. Obviously this is natural spawning, not teleported in, spawners, or mob eggs.

Spawn conditions
Each individual spawn attempt succeeds only if all of the following conditions are met in order:
  • There must be no players and no player spawn points within a 24 block distance (spherical) of the spawning block
  • If it's a squid or a guardian, then...
    • the spawning block must contain liquid (water or lava)
    • If it's a squid, then...
      • the spawning block must be between level 46 and 62, inclusive
      • the spawning mob must not be obstructed by other mobs
    • If it's a guardian, then...
      • the difficulty must not be peaceful
      • 95% chance of failure if the spawning block has sky exposure.
  • If it's not a squid or a guardian, then...
    • the block directly below it must have a solid top surface (opaque, upside down slabs / stairs and others)
    • the block directly below it may not be bedrock
    • the spawning block itself must be non-opaque and non-liquid
    • the block directly above it must be non-opaque
    • the spawning mob hitbox must not be obstructed by solid blocks, other mobs or liquids
  • If it's a bat, then...
    • the spawning block must be at level 62 or below
    • If the real-time day is between October 20 and November 3, then the light level must be 7 or darker. Otherwise the light level must be 4 or darker.
  • If it's an animal (other than a mooshroom or ocelot), then...
    • the light level of the spawning block must be 9 or brighter
      • the block directly below the spawning block must be grass
  • If it's a mooshroom, then...
    • the light level of the spawning block must be 9 or brighter
      • the block directly below the spawning block must be mycelium
  • If it's an ocelot, then...
    • the spawning block must be above level 63
    • the block directly below the spawning block must be grass or leaves
    • there is a 1/3 chance the spawn will fail
If all of these conditions are met then the mob is spawned. The pack is complete when 4 mobs have spawned (or 8 wolves, or 1 ghast, or 3 rabbits), or 12 attempts have been made, whichever comes first.

Notes
  • Due to the general block checks, all mobs besides squid must spawn on top of an opaque block with at least two blocks of headroom, even ghasts, etc. However, short mobs can spawn in a one block high space if the block above is transparent, like a glass block or piston.
  • While individual mobs can spawn inside signs, pressure plates, and other non-opaque blocks, packs cannot. They need a completely empty block in the center. Since a pack spawns all at one level, there needs to be some air blocks right above a flat surface to allow mobs to spawn on it, and more air blocks will always allow more spawning.
  • Similarly, buildings surrounded by air will spawn more mobs inside than underground rooms because packs that spawn outside of the building can spawn mobs inside it.
  • The mob caps tend to be reached in seconds. Because of this, mobs can be funneled into a spawning room by preventing them from spawning outside of it.
  • The caps also mean that the faster mobs are killed, the faster they will spawn.
  • Because the caps are only checked at the beginning of a spawn cycle, they can be dramatically exceeded when a large number of mobs spawn in a single cycle. This happens often with squid, which have a fairly low cap (5 in single player) but can spawn in the hundreds in a single cycle, in an area with lots of water.
  • If the player's view distance or the server view distance in multiplayer is at 9 or below, mob spawning is severely reduced (or they despawn too quickly), and may result in the player encountering no mobs at all. Set the view distance to 10 or higher to ensure mobs spawn correctly.

Any server that wants to avoid lag and has any kind of technical/experienced player has to accept they're going to have to say "screw balance" if they don't want the server to grind to a halt once a few people hit mid-to-end-game tech. What you're looking for to reduce lag are all the "OP" builds like having Project E for your "mob farm", creative lava, energy loops, and the like. Real systems that are utilized heavily positively KILL servers. Chunk loading hurts, the new channel/P2P/Nesting thing from AE2 kills servers, multiple mob farms kill servers, the wrong kinds of quarry kill servers. Massive numbers of entities or tile entities in one chunk kill servers... I could go on, but there's a reason I play a "casual friendly" modpack. I can make my system lag out in a week of playing when I'm being "balanced" and frankly I'd rather play the game than put up with lag :p

As for good modpacks, dw20, infinity, resonant rise 3? All good base packs for the challenge. "Wyrmholme: The Magitek Saga" (my personal pack) if I ever get any free time to finish it up will probably work well too; it was after all based on dw20+rr3 and then I took out all the mods that make me want to hit things and added a bunch of new mods because I spend too much time on the NotEnoughMods page and the What's New In Modded Minecraft thread here on FTB forums. If I get it to a playable state and obtain semi-public permissions, the "public" version will be slightly different to my server version for use in R2R challenges... some of the mods I would use in SSP would also drive my non-challenge server mates up the wall enough that they'd come over to my house and hit me :p.

Like I'm not including Jaded-level Hunger Overhaul with Spice of Life, I'm having Sensei's R2R Utilities disabled for everyone that isn't me, I'm not including most of Reasonable Realism, etc. I might have some of these in the "public" pack, might not. If it gets to there, I'm going to be running it past everyone here.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
So after progressing to wodden buildings I made my first, deciding that I would focus on using microblocks for building (this building only has one full block in its structure!) It's going to double as the tinkerer's workshop as well as the smith's home. I'll probably end up adding CustomNPCs eventually to add to immersion.
nM540Z8.jpg

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Be careful. If those are FMP, you can run into lag with enough of them in one locale. Same issue with Carpenter's blocks unfortunately. I haven't tried immibis' microblocks in a long time so they might have the same issue, might not.