Dungeon Crawler: Modpack WIP, Need YOUR Suggestions!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Is it worth the very long wait time to create more grief proof dungeons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Dungeon Crawler is a third party modpack created by me (Emblin), and by the support and suggestions, criticisms and witticisms of other forum'rs. While I do work alone, and am fairly novice at modpack creation, this project is progressing quite nicely, and each day, most of the roadblocks I encounter get resolved through brain power and forum help. It is my hope that this modpack will eventually become a public modpack, maybe even a LISTED one!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Dungeon Crawler?

Dungeon Crawler is based on the story of an adventurer, an adventurer who needed MORE to satisfy his need for thrills. Through the help of his companions, he was able to enter a new realm through the Rift.. A realm where there is no land, only an infinite sky. In this world, the four main races congregate, and create towns in the sky, all for one purpose.. Dungeon Crawling! Throughout the landless dimension there are dungeons floating about in the void, dungeons full of monsters, full of devious traps and cunning bosses. In this world, you, the adventurer, can live a life of excitement!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifics:

In Dungeon Crawler, you live on a pre-made island in the sky. There, you will have various things to sustain your basic needs. Such as land to stand on, a trophy room where you can admire your record of how many dungeons you have cleared, but most importantly.. NPCs. There are many NPCs on your island, and each one has a STORY, a FUNCTION. Some NPCs trade with you, some manage your bank, some provide quests and some will even fight for you! NPCs are your companions, they will be what guide you through the unforgiving darkness of the world.
Economy:

Being that you live in the sky, there is little in the way of natural resources.. That is why you have an exciting combat reward system that is perfectly entwined with the more passive side of building homes and growing gardens. Killing certain monsters can reward you with either IRON or BRONZE coins. Killing a dungeon's boss gives you EMERALD coins.

Iron Coins: Iron coins are strictly for buying blocks en masse. The traders on your island will sell many different kinds of blocks, perfect for survival or decor (We have Chisel!).

Bronze Coins: Bronze coins will buy a larger variety of miscellaneus items. Such as mob drops, compact machines, tools, and weapons.

Emerald Coins: These are the most valuable and rare of the coins. They are what are used to buy precious metals and gems that are otherwise unobtainable. If you ever want to get better tools, or better machines, you have to slay some bosses first!
Dungeons:

These are not your boring, everyday dungeons. These are hand made, completely unique dungeons created through many hours of work (So enjoy them, or else!). These dungeons don't just require a strong arm, they require a strong brain. Most dungeons will have unique themes, and these themes are what determine what tactic is the best approach to progressing. Furthermore, you best keep a close eye on everything around you, as I have generously littered traps everywhere, and they could mean the difference between life and death.

Monsters:

Monsters have 2 main classifications, which are listed beneath their names, and unique-event monsters sometimes have a class that is not defined as either. The main 2 are Beast, and Undead. The Undead are vulnerable to smite weapons, encouraging you to choose your arsenal wisely. Beasts are monsters that are very much alive, and bane of arthropods is their weakness.

Bosses:

Most bosses have a defining trait about them: Some are impervious to arrow/melee, some can summon legions of monsters to combat you, some are just f#&!$&# huge and can only be killed by ENVIRONMENTAL weapons which are lovingly placed for you to use when needed. (TNT, dispensers with potions, falling, lava, etc). But don't worry, the risk is very much worth the reward!
Equipment Tiers (Being Fine Tuned)

Obviously, as the dungeons get harder and harder, you will need to get better and better gear. Of course, diamond gear would not get you very far in this modpack since monsters will keep getting stronger while you're stuck at the material dead end. So, instead your main source of weapons and armor will be from Blacksmith NPCs. Weapon types have different speed, damage, and even smite/BOA traits.

Examples:
Dagger: Features reduced damage, but makes you Sanik; Gota go fast.
Warhammer: Increased damage, added smite 1, but slow as a tortoise
Broadsword: Normal damage and speed, and additional BOA 1.
Cleric Mace: Normal damage, slow speed, but smite 2 and health boost.
Glaive: Lower damage, faster speed, and BOA 2.

Of these weapon types, (and more types may be added), each one has 6 material types (stone to emerald), and 3 tiers. A low, medium and high quality. To get a higher quality, you must sell 2 of the previous tier weapon. Tier quality affects the special traits of a weapon, such as speed and damage.

Companions; Adventurers and Champions

Companions are NPCs that will follow you wherever you go into combat, for the right price. Once you hire them, they will provide a major boost in battle, until you have to either re-hire them, or they die (when a companion dies, he/she respawns safely at home).
There are 2 kinds of companion: Adventurer and Champion. Adventurers are standard and reliable, they have many classes too. Champions are unique characters with their own names, and their own traits. Champions are better stat-wise, but cost more to hire and can only be found INSIDE DUNGEONS.
Currently Existing Companions:
Elven Archer: Straight forward.
Elven Warrior: Attacks very rapidly at a lower damage rate
Human Priest: The only companion that doesn't attack. He follows you around and heals you, making the player itself stronger.
Human Hunter: Utilizes poison damage, and can melee attack or using explosive crossbow bolts
Dwarf Barbarian: Does high damage at a slower speed, also has higher resistance to damage
Dwarf Iron Knight: Covered in heavy armor, does low damage but is very hard to kill and has huge knockback
Dwarf Pyrotechnic: Utilizes a low damage, massively ADE flame thrower which is most effective on large crowds such as vermine.
Respawn and Protection System:

The protection system has been updated to simply load in Adventure Mode. Upon entering a dungeon, you're given adventure mode and once you exit you're out back in Survival.

The respawn system is my way of making sure you keep playing! For MOST dungeons (special event ones may be exluded), the mobs and bosses inside respawn after a real life hour. This encourages you to replay dungeons so you can get more coins and loot.

Screenshots:

My personal favorite companion: Pyrotechnic
http://imgur.com/pDmVwGV
http://imgur.com/7XPg2Ou

Please read the comments below and answer any questions I ask if you are capable of doing so! I can't finish this modpack without your support!

Last edited:

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Also, what do I call this pack? I want something that sums up what it is: dungeon exploration in the skies, mobs, battles, sky lands, etc.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
To answer some of your questions:

I think just dropping Lockdown in your mods folder is enough to restrict the world. I'm not entirely sure about preset worlds, though. It's highly configurable; read through the config folder first, then post again if you still have questions.
For default controls, you'll want to package options.txt along with mods, config, and scripts. :)
Entities are saved in the world file, so anything you make will transfer. Lockdown just uses a regular world.
Custom bosses? I have no idea... XD
You can use Minetweaker to change/add recipes.
Minetweaker again for disabling recipes.

I've done some modpacking myself; I'm glad to help with my experience. :D

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
The bosses should be possible with CustomNPCs, though I'm not sure if its possible to have them get the boss bar across the top of the screen. As for actually getting them to spawn when wanted, maybe look into ACE (Accidentally Circumstantial Events) and/or BiomeTweaker.

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I totally forgot the boss bar existed, so I won't need that. And they aren't necessarily bosses, but they are custom mobs that probably have more health and a theme to them. I won't need them to spawn on their own, just to have them sit in a dungeon and wait for someone to explore it.

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
I have added several ideas to my modpack. Some I am VERY excited about..

Bosses are gonna be custom NPCs, and some are gonna be REALLY unique in many ways, forcing a player to think and plan how to kill it.

I also added... wait for it.. FOLLOWERS. You can hire them, and they will follow you to the dungeons and assist you. Here are the classes I have come up with so far.

ADVENTURER: A faction of followers that can only target monsters, and not dungeon bosses (unless attacked by one).
-Elf Archer
-Dwarf Barbarian
-Priest (heals you)
-Dwarf Knight
-Elf Sorcerer

CHAMPION: A faction of followers that have high damage and high health, and will target dungeon bosses and monsters.
-Leon the Paladin
-More ones I'll think of later.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
*UPDATE*

I just want to let everyone know, that the modpack is being progressed marvelously. I also added a special quest that I will tell you all about

On the starting island where you live, there are 2 dwarves sitting together. If you stay near them, they will begin a conversation about a suspicious NPC named Jennine. It will activate a quest, and you have to investigate Jennine's room where she lives, and to complete it you have to find the hidden chest in the wall, which contains a letter. Then, you get another quest to talk to Jennine, then to some other NPCs to gather information. A bard tells you she frequently visits a dungeon that can only be found when he tells you it's coordinates. Kill that dungeon's boss, and it activates another quest in which you must confront Jennine.. THIS is where it gets awesome

She will reveal to the player that she was planning on opening a Rift to let monsters overrun the island, and as she finishes the sentence, it will automatically give you an item which forces a hidden HQM quest to complete... And completing the quest (involuntarily) causes the HQM gate blocks to become non-solid. Then 4 mobs that look like end dragon crystals fall from (a players view) OUT OF NOWHERE and onto the island. The crystals begin releasing hordes of monsters and you must destroy the crystals to seal the Rift. Killing the crystals will lower the rep of Jennine's faction, forcing her to be a hostile mob which you can then kill, and the ultimate quest is completed.

Now you may be wondering, where do the crystals appear and how? The answer:
They are above the island the whole time. Using inverted skyblocks, I have a box that is 100% completely hidden from anyone looking at it at any angle. In this box, the 4 crystals sit in there, waiting for the HQM gate to become non solid and they land on the island to wreak havoc.

ISN'T THAT JUST AWESOME?!

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
*UPDATE-ish*

I just made it so the mobs the crystal spawns are bards. Which means that, as long as the rift is alive *and in the attack phase* it's minions will play epic music as they are running around

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
*UPDATE-ish*

I just made it so the mobs the crystal spawns are bards. Which means that, as long as the rift is alive *and in the attack phase* it's minions will play epic music as they are running around
... I know that "bard" is probably just a tag applied to the mobs, as opposed to actually what they are, but now all I can picture is old men with harps running through this demon portal going nuts. :p

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
... I know that "bard" is probably just a tag applied to the mobs, as opposed to actually what they are, but now all I can picture is old men with harps running through this demon portal going nuts. :p
Brilliant! But that's not quite it :p.

Bard is a setting you can apply to any custom NPC that automatically makes them play music of your choice. Oh, and if you do want to know, Bards by default spawn with a guitar, and you can swap it for an actual harp item and it will play a harp sound. So.. I could totally do that if I wanted :D

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot to mention, the reason that quest is so important and interesting is that it breaks a fourth wall of sorts. In this modpack, your island, which is your home, is the safe zone. Nothing bad happens there, mobs don't spawn there, no traps or dungeons. So when suddenly the Rift opens, it's gonna be a sort of "WTF" reaction from the players when they see the fourth wall just got breached

*edit*

oh @#%@, mobs can't walk through HQM gates like players can. This is a big setback, I'm gonna have to redesign the Rift box now :/

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
*Update #2*

I am currently creating the dungeon I mentioned earlier, the one you are required to be before killing Jennine and the Rift. It's designed like the first boss fight in Half Life 1, where there is a giant pit with an equally large monster inside it. The monster can't leave the pit, but it fires crazy ranged attacks at you, while also sending minions on both your sides to make things trickier.

There is also planned to be a secret method to annihilating him. And here's the hint: It involves a bow, redstone, and lots of explosions..

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a Sneak Peek of the largely work in progress boss fight with Lord Vile!

I lied, it's not that epic yet. But mark my words, it will be!
upload_2015-8-22_18-9-43.png

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like an interesting project! I find that few modpacks have a true feeling of adventure, and this may be able to accomplish that. Also it's refreshing to see CustomNPCs again.

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like an interesting project! I find that few modpacks have a true feeling of adventure, and this may be able to accomplish that. Also it's refreshing to see CustomNPCs again.
Unfortunately, while I do believe if nothing goes wrong, it will be a really good modpack, there is still the issue of how long it will take to make.

I am a relative novice in modpack creation and map creation, and the very nature of the dungeons I create take a long time to build. (What I think most time has been spent on this modpack so far, out of the 3-4(?) days has been trying to grief proof all the dungeons. It is a pain in the ass, because I have to make sure every wall, floor and roof of a dungeon room is unbreakable by players. Because, as we all know, there are some yahoos that never use the door they were given and just tunnel into it instead.)