[1.7.10]Hubris V1.6.1- HQM - 270+ Quests [Magic][Dungeons][Dimensions][Exploration] Ex-Listed!

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
What Tips/Tricks Do You Think Most People Don't Know?

I've been playing through Hubris very slowly---sometimes a week will go by without opening the Quest Book---just because there are so many things to explore in all the various mods... I haven't even touched Witchery, Blood Magic or that Thaumcraft add-on that lets you clone animals. I've learned a few things, and am looking forward to finding out what tricks you've learned too!
  • Thaumic Infusion & Iter Essentia--- With the Infusion Wand Focus (requires a Warding Focus, which requires a Nether Star), you can infuse liquified essentia into blocks, giving them various effects. For example, infusing a block with Lux will make it emit light. Iter, however, is the most useful: Infuse two different blocks with Iter, remove the Infusion Focus from your wand, right-click one of the blocks, and then right-click the second. Now, kind of like an OpenBlocks' Elevator, you can teleport between them by pressing Shift while standing on top---the teleportation is free, has unlimited range, and is easily the best "around your base" transportation method.
    • NOTE: If you can, I highly recommend updating to the most recent version of Thaumic Infusion. I'm sure the next version of Hubris will include the update, but there have been a ton of improvements and you'll lose all your infusions if you update down the road.
  • Automagy: WORTH IT --- Whoever said Applied Energistics wasn't part of this pack didn't dig deeply enough into the Automagy tab in the Thaumonomicon. The Inventorium and its Unseen Scribes can link every inventory in your base into a centralized database. Add a couple Golems and some Magic Mirrors, and you can order any item from any inventory and have it dropped in your lap. And that's just the tip of the iceberg: Automagy should have its own quest chapter in the quest book, it's that awesome.
  • Arcane Deconstructor & Otherworldly Aura --- Ars Magica 2 spell creation can get very tedious in the late game, with tons of spell components to assemble and throw into the Crafting Altar. And what if you want to experiment with spells, or make a mistake? That's a lot of wasted work... unless you have an Arcane Deconstructor and an Otherworldly Aura. The first can be used to break down any spell into its parts, placing them in a nearby chest (you only lose the Blank Rune and the Spell Parchment). And the Otherworldly Aura? Whenever you throw a Blank Rune into a Crafting Altar to start creating a spell, the Otherworldly Aura will summon a shadow clone of yourself to run around, fetching the necessary ingredients out of any inventory in an 8-block radius---including Storage Drawers, Barrels, and whatever Chest your Arcane Deconstructor is dumping into---and throw them into the Crafting Altar, automating the spell creation process. You just need to make sure nearby chests contain the right ingredients (the little guy will even flick the lever when a recipe calls for Etherium).
  • Hourglass Ritual --- Chuck a (usually cheap) reagent into the center of the chalk pattern, and cast the associated Ars Magica 2 spell: You'll gain 3 extra minutes of duration, plus another 3 for each Buff Power modifier included in the spell. The best part? The chalk outline isn't consumed like it is for most rituals, so you can use it over and over. A single Iron Ingot gives you 15 minutes of Shield III, a fish for Water Breathing, a bit of Glowstone Dust for Haste, etc.
Battletowers- go and clean em'! besides having nice loot, the golem will give you diamonds- combining the chests and the golem loot, getting 10 diamonds per one isn't that rare . they can be found easily be sailing an ocean, there are tons of them there, you move fast thanks to the boat and you don't have to worry about the taint.
AM2- rash it! best armor mid game to late game with earth - battlemage armor combination blocking any damage completely, cheapest diamond armor alternative for early game (just battlemage armor, which is even cheaper then diamond, and also is self repairing, magic boosting, mana regen boosting and gives general resistance to everything, best attack after reaching level 20-25 and possibly before with lightning giving you a ranged option that will quickly become powerful enough to 1 hit 10 hearts mobs and pierces armor, and some nice base equipment.
calefactor- make infinite vinteum! this thing, even without a single focus, creates way more vinteum then it requires to fuel (obelisk can use vintuem too). just get yourself a bit of vinteum to create a calefactor, obelisk and crystal wrench, and you are set up for good. that also means free smelting (charge focus will make it fast, too) and kinda free reconstructing (it still requires huge amount of vinteum and it doesn't pay back any vinteum). you just need something smeltable- netherack or cobble will get the job done.
thaumcraft- some things are useless now, like the fortress armor with better alternatives, and runic shielding isn't too useful. however some previously unnecessary thing are now blessing from the gods - creature duplication can be a lifesaver in all that taint and will also work with tissue samples in the form of meat (that you can get from twilight), blooms can clear the taint, and golems that used to be overshadowed by machines are now the jewel of the crown of thaumcraft, allowing automating. wand focus dissolving is also useful, allowing you to break things into crystal essentia, making "clean" recipes in alchemy and faster distillation when you need liquid essentia. the osmotic enchanter is also a very OP item, not costing any Xp and allowing you to pick your enchantments.
Energized nodes- pretty much infnite vis, if used right. read about them. it's very possible to find a node with all aspects- with all those special nodes, i even found a node that gave me 6 CV of each except ignis- i got 8 of that.
botania: the mod swords aren't worth using compared to magic, and the terrasteel armor is a joke, costing 12 mana pools, 24 diamonds, 24 ender pearls and 24 iron (it may actually be 13 mana pools, as mana infusing all those is 72 things is quite expensive), and ending up as a diamond armor that can defend itself with mana, making the battlemage armor a better choice even in power terms. however, the baubles are pretty cheap and defintly worth using. witchery has better potions, so mostly mana potions aren't worth bothering with.
automate it!- day blooms and hydrogenesis aren't amazing- it's possible to make a tree farm using golems, so you can feed planks to your endoflames. you can make it even better by-
making the wood charcoal in a calefactor obelisk system- very simple, really worth it
making the charcoal and some cobble from thaumic stone extruder into alumentum with auto alchemy- if you are really advanced
giving the use golem bone meal to use on the sapling- simple, very efficient, only disadvatage is that you need a supply of bone meal (actaully not that hard- consider using the spawner lifter (something life agr... something from botania) if you are deep enough into botania- finding a skeleton spawner will be a piece O' cake, and using liquid death is a nice way to ensure even the toughest bastards will die, without wasting a single drop of mana and also getting essentia as a bonus. automagy will allow you to auto craft the bones into bone meal.
Ritual of gaia II- well, it's not accurate that botania armor and swords are useless- they are very useful here. normal armor, even earth armor, can't take this fight, it will break. (battlemage also can't stand the ritual of gaia I). you need something equal to diamond or above (trust me, you don't want to fight this fight without it) , that can't break- simply repairing isn't enough. surprisingly enough, you do have a choice- blood magic's bound armor or botania's terrasteel armor, if you take terra make sure you give everything protection IV and that you don't forget the mana tablet. it will barely cost you any mana, considering the fact it just blocked over 3000 durability damage in every piece of equipment you wear, but come with a full tablet anyway. the II guardian is deferentially worth fighting, since the relics are so awesome- ex-caliber will make re defeating the guardian a piece of cake, ring of odin will help in the fight itself and outside, granting 10 extra hearts and fire + fall resistance. also fruit of can't-write-the-name is an infinite food source and also quick to eat, and eye of the flugal is basically 12 free flexible recall stones in 1 item.

anyway, my thoughts and tips on the modpack-
thoughts: it's awesome. it has all the mods i like, and also doesn't have all the tech mods and tinkers, which sometimes just force you to use them since they have a better\ more OP way of doing what you want. i love the focus on exploring and fighting instead of mining too- in vanila (and pretty much every other modpack), you had o be a maniac to try and get metrials from dungeons instead of mining. also the taint is cool- always thought taint was lame and needed some work on- you never see any, even if you do it spreads super slow, very easy to make sure the taint is not chunk loaded be getting a bit far from it, you really have no reason to settle near the taint, and it's very easy to clear as long as it is a small area- break the node, place the blooms, go home, and even if for some reason you don't clean the taint and live on it, the disadvantages for doing something that stupid aren't serious. however, since now you have to live in an entirely tainted world, where taint gets even underground, the biome of the world is tainted land (which causes it to spread much faster) and everything alive gets eaten by taint, it is now a real challenge. also, the taint damage i didn't really cared about became from small menace if you walk in taint to something you risk by simply being out in the world. i also saw it spreading- in the beginning, lots of trees, flowers and grass, it wasn't much of a problem, however, later, it pretty much ate everything, including spreading into the huge dungeon i choose to be my home. first i was worried by it's spread, since i knew it will reach my underground home eventually. i ended up sealing it. i don't know exactly what happened, but it did skipped my house, but not the rest of the dungeon (i have no idea from where it got there). i explored huge dungeons, first with no taint, and then i saw this purple thing starting to take over the place, getting further in every time i visit. eventually it got to the entire place (beside my sealed home), and i walked in the tainted tunnels, remembering when they were still clean, knowing i actually could save them be sealing them too, seeing rooms indentical to my house crawling with taint and thining "OMG it could have been my house!" (the only reason i originally lived there is that i slept in the bed there, so i respawned there and decided it will be my home)and knowing i have the cursed taint 1 block away from my home, and that breaking a single block will cause it to rather quickly get in, wreck my home, kill my dogs and so on (which still didn't happened), which is not like anything i have ever experienced in minecraft or any game. so, i loved the modpack, well done!

suggestions:
-terrasteel armor is too weak for how much it costs, it should be stronger.

-earth armor is so OP- i don't know what mithion thought when he gave that kind of reward to the lame earth guardian. it needs to be seriously nerfed.

-wand foci needs to become stronger- 2 times stronger sounds reasonable, allowing you to 3 hit with a shock or 2 hit after upgrading it or even 1 hit (i think) after upgrading it- 3 hit isn't amazing, but spells both require more time and have the mana problem, so i think it's fair.

-runic shielding is still very weak, if possible it should defend your actual hearts after armor reduces damage. also there are too much types of damage it doesn't defend against.

-some dungeon loot needs to by modified- i have explored the huge dungeon near my home quite a lot, a never found a single diamond. i have found nice amounts in other places, but i don't see any reason those chests should suck (also never found a single reliquary item there, but found plenty in other places)

-custom bosses, quest givers, and traders.
1. bosses is kinda covered by AM2, but a few new bosses will be interesting (i believe it shouldn't be that hard adding with custom NPCs), also AM2 bosses are quite annoying to fight as they are not extremely strong in offence but very strong in defense, having resistance, armor and damage cap, fighting bosses without those things will be nice.
2. quest givers: sure, the quest book can give you quests,but NPCs are better option to giving quest who are not beneficial to the player by themselves and not help in progression (like, get me 5 taint tendrils), and consume tasks, the AM2 spell quests for example are more an NPC kind of quest, since it's "give me 10 slimeballs and 3 cobwebs and i'll give you a spell". also having a few NPCs will make the world more interesting.
3. traders- villager trading kinda suck. they are easily killed, most of them still use emerald as currency instead of gold coins, and the trades, besides being random, are also pretty boring. custon traders, however, should use the gold coins that i made a barrel for since i have so goddamn much, and maybe loot bags too (i stopped opening even the rare ones quite a while ago, i really don't need anything), and can give in return AM2 spells, ores and flowers (flowers should be cheap), thaumcraft discoveries, knowledge shards and ores, and from botania mystical flowers, runes, normal flowers, and maybe even mana (in the form of black\er lotus)
if it is implented, then it should become the source of AM flowers and the TC saplings (crafting them was kinda silly).
thanks for reading, sorry for my bad English, it's not my native.

Last edited:

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of things Ive found.

First, with battletowers, you can pillar up the back of them all the way to the top. Keep low and mine out the very top layer from the tower. The chest should block the guardian golem's view of you. Open the chest, loot it, and mine down your pillar. This is safest on towers over oceans since you can just jump...or if he sees you the blast won't kill you with fall damage.

Gold coins from bags can be smelted into gold nuggets and then made into ingots.

You might want to save some though since it IS possible (though not easy) to get pech to spawn in a magic biome in the dark. There is also a special villager who will trade valuable resources for coins. If you can't save one from a village you may be able to create one layer, with some luck.

AM2 bosses can be fairly easily summoned into a killbox that traps them and gives you easy access to attack. This is true of water and air especially, and earth isn't much harder though he breaks close blocks on spawning. These killboxes are reliable sources of blue and green orbs through the game.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.5.0 - Holy Mod Updates Batman - This update should be available tomorrow.
  • Fixed lantern of paranoia recipe
  • Added dimensional shards to chest loot
  • Can now obtain a golemancers bell through the quest book. (finally)
Updated the following Mods
  • Automagy
  • BetterFPS
  • BiblioCraft
  • Botania
  • Chisel
  • Climate Control
  • COFH Core
  • Doom Like DUngeons
  • Forbidden Magic
  • Hardcore Ender expansions
  • NEI Addons/integration
  • Harvestcraft
  • Recall Stones
  • Runic Dungeons
  • Storage Drawers
  • Twilight Forest
  • THaumic Infusions
  • Thaumic Horizons
  • Witching Gadgets
  • Artifacts
  • Tainted Magic
  • Journey Map

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.5.0 - Holy Mod Updates Batman - This update should be available tomorrow.
  • Fixed lantern of paranoia recipe
  • Added dimensional shards to chest loot
  • Can now obtain a golemancers bell through the quest book. (finally)
Updated the following Mods
  • Automagy
  • BetterFPS
  • BiblioCraft
  • Botania
  • Chisel
  • Climate Control
  • COFH Core
  • Doom Like DUngeons
  • Forbidden Magic
  • Hardcore Ender expansions
  • NEI Addons/integration
  • Harvestcraft
  • Recall Stones
  • Runic Dungeons
  • Storage Drawers
  • Twilight Forest
  • THaumic Infusions
  • Thaumic Horizons
  • Witching Gadgets
  • Artifacts
  • Tainted Magic
  • Journey Map
You are a beautiful, gorgeous man, sir.

While I'm here... I've still not started the Witchery chapter, because that ominous "rework Witchery quest line" entry in the front page to-do has me worried it'll all be changed/reset. I know you replied earlier on this, but I didn't quite understand some of the things you were referencing, and just let it drop (the fact that Hubris has so much to fucking do didn't hurt :D ) . Could you please maybe try an "ELI5" on that to-do item? From the perspective of someone who hasn't started the quest line and knows nothing of Witchery, what do I need to know before starting? Any early essentials part of whatever needs reworking?

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019

While I'm here... I've still not started the Witchery chapter, because that ominous "rework Witchery quest line" entry in the front page to-do has me worried it'll all be changed/reset. I know you replied earlier on this, but I didn't quite understand some of the things you were referencing, and just let it drop (the fact that Hubris has so much to fucking do didn't hurt :D ) . Could you please maybe try an "ELI5" on that to-do item? From the perspective of someone who hasn't started the quest line and knows nothing of Witchery, what do I need to know before starting? Any early essentials part of whatever needs reworking?
Have a very good auto wood farm, because you need to save all of your vanilla (sans jungle) and Witchery saplings. ALL OF THEM.
Also you'll need a way to easily get eggs in large quantities, a way to farm mandrakes that won't annoy the crap out of you, and possibly a cactus farm depending on the version being used.
Lastly, you'll want at least one or two 15x15 minimum diameter circles of clear ground, preferably grass with lots of room to dig underneath.
Oh, and the Witchery way to change biomes, if you ever want to use it, is glowstone heavy as hell. Might want a mid game Botania setup and a lot of redstone dust for that.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and hoard clay. You can use a Clayconia plant from Botania and sand, or just find some shallow water to get clay from. You'll need a lot of clay bottles though.

devryb

Jul 29, 2019
Downloaded 1.5.0 server files and booted them up with no changes just to test.
When logging into it with my client the client immediately crashes with this:

http://pastebin.com/y8fpCyp4

Reported the issue here:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...change-climate-zones-sizes-ocean?page=35#c695

For anyone running a server on 1.5.0 currently the clients need to have climate control removed as that is the intended way for this mod to work in a server environment.
The author is working on an update that will disable the mod when the client joins a server so that ssp is still useable.

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019

Have a very good auto wood farm, because you need to save all of your vanilla (sans jungle) and Witchery saplings. ALL OF THEM.
Also you'll need a way to easily get eggs in large quantities, a way to farm mandrakes that won't annoy the crap out of you, and possibly a cactus farm depending on the version being used.
Lastly, you'll want at least one or two 15x15 minimum diameter circles of clear ground, preferably grass with lots of room to dig underneath.
Oh, and the Witchery way to change biomes, if you ever want to use it, is glowstone heavy as hell. Might want a mid game Botania setup and a lot of redstone dust for that.

in my opinion, that's a bit drastic. my list will be this (organized by how deep you want to go in):
1-2 of the main witchery seeds (belladonna, mandrake, snow bell, water artichoke). can be obtained from grass. after that, make more seeds, but 12 of each kind should do, and even 4 if you have or plan to make an auto farm for them.
a bit of eggs- 6 max for case you are unlucky (with your mutations, not with getting a chicken).
48 clay blocks should be enough to get your as deep as you want without getting more.
a bit of diamonds, gold and iron, i doubt that you lack the needed amount. also a bit of lapis, just in case you don't bother picking them up. and an emerald, but this is optional.
to be really safe, a stack of oak saplings will do, just wander around the land and trees will fall by their own, as i'm sure you've noted. also a stack of birch saplings.
some space, for a few new farms (if you want to- with random things quick leaves decay, i got all the saplings i needed from a space big enough to grow just a single tree, as well as 3 flat 15x15 areas (1 will do if you don't plan to get in depth, but you can never know). make sure they are close to each other as well, as close as possible is good. if you can make 1 of them roofed and walled and explosion resistant, that will be good. make the other 2 grassed and with option to grow trees on them.
past this point, everything is kinda advanced, and is not required to start:
save 1 wither skull, you are going to need it. unrelated to that, witchery offers a way to summon the wither with a single skull.
a reasonable amount of ghast tears (7 should do) - BTW, fuck those things when you are playing with biomes O plenty how basically makes everything impossible to find, and gives you nothing in return.
a way to get a few villagers
some tongues of dogs (very easy to get in the nether)
witches hand (dropped from, well, witches)
tamed cat or dog
6 coven witches (they are not aggressive, hope you didn't killed them)
and now it's real optional:
1 hellhound head and 3 hellhound \ dog heads, and a wolfsbane, to make yourself werewolf.
alive chicken and a skeleton skull, as well as some good equipment, to make yourself vampire.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
in my opinion, that's a bit drastic. my list will be this (organized by how deep you want to go in):
1-2 of the main witchery seeds (belladonna, mandrake, snow bell, water artichoke). can be obtained from grass. after that, make more seeds, but 12 of each kind should do, and even 4 if you have or plan to make an auto farm for them.
a bit of eggs- 6 max for case you are unlucky (with your mutations, not with getting a chicken).
48 clay blocks should be enough to get your as deep as you want without getting more.
a bit of diamonds, gold and iron, i doubt that you lack the needed amount. also a bit of lapis, just in case you don't bother picking them up. and an emerald, but this is optional.
to be really safe, a stack of oak saplings will do, just wander around the land and trees will fall by their own, as i'm sure you've noted. also a stack of birch saplings.
some space, for a few new farms (if you want to- with random things quick leaves decay, i got all the saplings i needed from a space big enough to grow just a single tree, as well as 3 flat 15x15 areas (1 will do if you don't plan to get in depth, but you can never know). make sure they are close to each other as well, as close as possible is good. if you can make 1 of them roofed and walled and explosion resistant, that will be good. make the other 2 grassed and with option to grow trees on them.
past this point, everything is kinda advanced, and is not required to start:
save 1 wither skull, you are going to need it. unrelated to that, witchery offers a way to summon the wither with a single skull.
a reasonable amount of ghast tears (7 should do) - BTW, fuck those things when you are playing with biomes O plenty how basically makes everything impossible to find, and gives you nothing in return.
a way to get a few villagers
some tongues of dogs (very easy to get in the nether)
witches hand (dropped from, well, witches)
tamed cat or dog
6 coven witches (they are not aggressive, hope you didn't killed them)
and now it's real optional:
1 hellhound head and 3 hellhound \ dog heads, and a wolfsbane, to make yourself werewolf.
alive chicken and a skeleton skull, as well as some good equipment, to make yourself vampire.
Just noting, unless it changed recently dogs don't do anything, only cats, frogs, or owls will count toward a thing you'll need later.
Also, depending on how the mutandis list has been set up, Biomes O'Plenty may or may not have completely subsumed the rng table with flowers and saplings. Hence my advice that you be ready to use multiple stacks of it to get any plants you want.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Fortunately, quest rewards offer the witchery saplings.

The other witchery plants you will need to roll the dice for though. :(

BlackPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
Just noting, unless it changed recently dogs don't do anything, only cats, frogs, or owls will count toward a thing you'll need later.
Also, depending on how the mutandis list has been set up, Biomes O'Plenty may or may not have completely subsumed the rng table with flowers and saplings. Hence my advice that you be ready to use multiple stacks of it to get any plants you want.
no changes about that, but dogs can be quite the pain to find (and so can cats be) unless you have the necromancy table, and as they are necessary for owls, i added them to the list, so he won't just leave a wolf he found and regret it later.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
no changes about that, but dogs can be quite the pain to find (and so can cats be) unless you have the necromancy table, and as they are necessary for owls, i added them to the list, so he won't just leave a wolf he found and regret it later.
Ahh, true. Also, the online Witchery site is your friend. The books are good for reference, but for actual numbers and such the site is a necessity.
Side note; Eventually you'll want to interact more with the coven witches. Despite several sites saying you only need a certain ritual to talk to them, you must have a familiar bound to and with you to get them to respond.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Gah...really good points on cats and dogs. How the devil do you get those things without some kind of biome conversion first?

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight forest spawns dogs, beyond the infernal hounds and angry dogs in the mazes, since it counts as a forest biome.
Cats will just start spawning if you get a jungle going, they're like the other passive mobs in that they're always ticking on spawn count.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...but am I right in thinking you need a familiar to use Witchery to create a jungle?

That'd mean I pretty much need to make a Thaumcraft terraformer to make a jungle...at least temporarily...so I can get a couple of cats and get 'em breeding.

Which is fine. Just need to know what to plan for. :)

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Well..... Technically you could use Blood Magic's ritual, though that one is hard to use and a bit weird overall. Or you could find a former jungle wandering around, and use a couple ethereal blooms on a enclosed area to bring it back.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Is that how it works though? It seems like it just wipes out Tainted Lands and replaces it with Plains. But maybe that's just because all I've found so far is Plains.

I've done quite a bit of traveling though, and I've yet to find any sign of biome variation. No deserts or arctic or forests other than oak.

I have seen a few coconut trees, which give jungle saplings, but they seem to sprout in Beach biomes.

darthwesix

Jul 29, 2019
any know why the taint is not spreading to the green I live there so it is not chunk loading
2015-07-29_11.07.14.png

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I am submitting an update to Hubris that should go live tonight or tomorrow that will back port the climate control version to fix clients being unable to connect to servers.

Reactions: Slind and devryb