Redpower going the way of Nandonalt's Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
It needs something for us to do with the excess jars, I have many many jar of different essentia sitting around taking up space...

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
It needs something for us to do with the excess jars, I have many many jar of different essentia sitting around taking up space...
Burning excess Essentia back into raw Vis would be nice.

Edit: At a significantly lower rate than 1:1, of course.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking maybe being able to mix pure essentia into others.... not sure about balance though.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Umm I never implied that 1.5 would break anything. I am thinking that since RedPower is based on Redstone and how it works that waiting for 1.5. Seeing how all the changes would affect a redstone mod it seems logical to me to wait it out. But one of the key things about 1.5 is the focus on how signal strength works. If you go just one short of max legnth in theory it will be slower then something right next to a button, level, pressure plate. As for the item dupe bug or the crash tell the people on your sever about it. Ban those that abuse the dupe or something.

As for droppers and hoppers in Vanillia, yeah they look cool. Able to get armour equiped right away. Have dispensers spash potions of x onto you. Have droppers preped with food at the go. Heck even one set with arrows for a bow seems pretty awesome. The one thing that seems more focused though it the use of the command blocks to do a whole lot more.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
As for the item dupe bug or the crash tell the people on your sever about it. Ban those that abuse the dupe or something.

So you want to tell people, and then expect them to not do it? Do you have a suggestion on how you would keep people from using it, and how you could detect that it was used so you could ban anyone that uses it?

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
I never meant to imply that those same externalities don't apply to other fields as well - they often do. I could go on a rant here about American culture and why certain other countries are completely destroying us in terms of development (hint: lots of people, outgoing leader is an engineer), but at this point I think the topic is so far derailed that I really had better not. Suffice it to say, some of the issues that hit technical fields are political in nature.

I know you didn't you mean that, but since most of the comments were to those in the engineering realm. I figured that I would point out that the 50'sish mindset of women in the work place doesn't just stink up that realm of technical fields. I completely agree with you that culture plays a heavy handed role in all of this mess, and some times yes the issues are political in nature. I really think that, that is just a by product from those in charge and not an actual reason.

All in all I do agree with you, and I apologize if my comment was rude in anyway.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry should have been more clear. I ment tell them about the crash. The dupe bug is hard to find out whom is doing it but if it is friends then maybe an agreement on not doing it?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry should have been more clear. I ment tell them about the crash. The dupe bug is hard to find out whom is doing it but if it is friends then maybe an agreement on not doing it?

That's what I've told the other OP on my server, whereas the rest of the users (all two) are not to be told as I know they'll try and use it (which is why they aren't operators, of course).

It's difficult stuff trying to deal with it without just disabling the items that cause the problem.

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a productive suggestion, and I have some idea on how some people might react to this. Even if Elo did not want, or ask for any help in the development/continuation of this mod. Why don't the those that have the programming knowledge go through the source code find the bugs. Then write up a report on where the bugs are, and what can be done to fix them. I do know that some people would have a problem with just going in and looking at the source code, because it is not "open source". Basically you can say "hey don't want to step on your toes, but I figured I'd give you a helping hand", and then pass on the information you have for her to her thing. When you get to the meat and taters of it all if a community is un-willing to help each other whether they ask for it or not then honestly what is the point of it all?

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't the those that have the programming knowledge go through the source code find the bugs.

When you get to the meat and taters of it all if a community is un-willing to help each other whether they ask for it or not then honestly what is the point of it all?
There is no source code.

Eloraam will not give it out. I'm sure tons of people would work in it if she did. Heck, I would probably even throw my hat in the ring, given it's such a cool mod.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
There is no source code.

Eloraam will not give it out. I'm sure tons of people would work in it if she did. Heck, I would probably even throw my hat in the ring, given it's such a cool mod.
Right? Using bluectricity as the new universal electricity would be super neat.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a productive suggestion, and I have some idea on how some people might react to this. Even if Elo did not want, or ask for any help in the development/continuation of this mod. Why don't the those that have the programming knowledge go through the source code find the bugs. Then write up a report on where the bugs are, and what can be done to fix them. I do know that some people would have a problem with just going in and looking at the source code, because it is not "open source". Basically you can say "hey don't want to step on your toes, but I figured I'd give you a helping hand", and then pass on the information you have for her to her thing. When you get to the meat and taters of it all if a community is un-willing to help each other whether they ask for it or not then honestly what is the point of it all?

If we can't be a point of a community that respects each others works and desires, then what is the point of it all?

While some of the assumptions are currently in flux, there has been the feeling throughout the majority of history that the creators of intellectual works - be they informative or creative - have some kind of right to the works that they create. Exactly how much right and how much control has changed through the ages, but the fact we still know who wrote certain works from antiquity shows that attribution held weight even thousands of years ago. (Homer? Herodotus? Diocletian, anyone?)

In recent centuries, regardless of feelings that came before, a more concrete and codified system of these values began to emerge, found mostly in the copyrights and trademarks systems of various world governments. While many people would argue they've extended to ungainly proportions, I know very few people who would deny that creators have any right to their works, in some fashion. I, and the other staff of FTB, believe that in a moral context mod authors have the right to decide how much of their work to share - it is not an all or nothing scenario. They may share nothing to the point of total obuscurity, they may share every little tweak, flaw, or diamond in the rough of their code and educating comments if they wish. They may share or deny any level or combination in between. That is their choice, and that choice is their right.

You may feel that doing everything you can to help mod authors is what is required of you by being part of community, and any attempts to hamper your efforts hurt. But, have you considered that your attempts to help, against the wishes of the content creator, might possibly cause more problems than you hope to solve? While I've gone on a little to long to say,"In short", it basically comes down to Eloraam has the right to say her mod is closed source. Do not look at her code. Do not alter her code. Until she says otherwise, or asks for the assistance, you are not helping, you are meddling.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
As I pointed out in another thread someone's right to say not to do something is only as good as the lawyer they can afford to convince a court to enforce. Otherwise it has as much power as my saying I want a unicorn per post.

Still the annoyance of having to reverse engineer it isn't worth the effort. REing things always has potential to cause it's own bugs that you have to track down before you can even start on what you originally were working on and then it can be a real pain to merge back into the original code base assuming the author even wanted to accept the patches.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
As for the item dupe bug or the crash tell the people on your sever about it. Ban those that abuse the dupe or something.

You seem to have _totally_missed_ the point that only one of the two dupes required intention. The other one can be done accidentally to such an extreme that it crashes the server with too many entities.

And the lag of course isn't avoidable unless you avoid all the machines. At which point you may as well disable the redpower mods that allow for logic, filters, and microblocks.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Duplication bugs... Pfftt through something on that nice new Farm Block you have running.. Talk about duplication..

Of course it actually has been fixed.. Just you guys don't have the newest Forestry Yet. ;)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
T
Legality != Morality.

The law and my morality are both clear. Distribution is wrong, disassembly and interfacing is not. As far as legality goes, such a stance is backed by both historical precidence and actually encoded as part of the DMCA.

That's a flaw in your server's community, manifested in a mod. [....] The bug causing crashes is merely a symptom of a complete systemic failure.

Your statement shows an assumptive belief so far from reality that its a form of fantasy, and much like its not worth it to correct somebody who firmly believes in unicorns, its similarly not worth the effort to correct you

nerdnosyd

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive my ignorance but... don't all mods violate the Minecraft TOS and therefore any copyright associated with them is completely invalid?

Status
Not open for further replies.