Redpower going the way of Nandonalt's Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It does make sense, but I think I read somewhere that few of the mods in FTB use vanilla redstone mechanics. Though, that doesn't mean 1.5 can't bork other things. Mojang's done it before, and eventually, they'll do it again.

Maybe it does, but do consider it's immaterial to the discussion of how to assemble a modpack today.

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Seriously though, good post. There are a lot of problems with the engineering culture right now, and while I personally feel that most of them are based on externalities, you did state some of the effects quite well.

Although I do agree to some extent King, but this is applied to all technical fields. Whether it's Engineering, Medicine, IT, etc...

james_joyce

Jul 29, 2019
My only hope is that if she ever decides to stop working on Redpower, that she'll open source it.

Other than that, I really don't think we can ask anything of her - but it would be pretty catastrophic, at least for me, were it to be removed.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, if I had to chose, I'd rather wait for 1.5 for a comprehensive update that'll keep the packs going, all of the issues most people can deal with by just planning around them.

There is an intentionally and easily triggered dupe bug and an unintentional one that as a side effect can easily crash servers. Plus a variety of instant-crash (some client only, some server+client) bugs centered around UI bugs. *Plus* major lag based issues, all before 1.5 and all based entirely within RPr6, not needing multi-mod interaction at all.

The mod hasn't adapted to _this_ vanilla update yet.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Although I do agree to some extent King, but this is applied to all technical fields. Whether it's Engineering, Medicine, IT, etc...

I never meant to imply that those same externalities don't apply to other fields as well - they often do. I could go on a rant here about American culture and why certain other countries are completely destroying us in terms of development (hint: lots of people, outgoing leader is an engineer), but at this point I think the topic is so far derailed that I really had better not. Suffice it to say, some of the issues that hit technical fields are political in nature.

Reactions: war_kittens

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Software Engineering is sort of infamous right now as being particularly laden with these issues. For example, you're much more likely to find women in electrical engineering than software engineering.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Something came to my mind as I been reading. What if Elo is, logically, waiting for 1.5? With all the changes to redstone comeing in 1.5 it would be a major change to anything that uses redstone as a base. Now I may be wrong but if you think about it.
I don't know why people get the idea that 1.5 redstone will "break everything". Redstone behavior will be exactly the same as before. It always trailed off over 15 blocks. 1.5 adds Comparators that let you make analog logic and compare how much 2 signals have dropped off.

1.5 also includes a new block, Droppers, that partially obsoletes RP Filters, and provides an alternative to Tubes (and BC Pipes, for that matter).

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Dropper

Why connect your machines with a slow Tube/Pipe when you can move items at a rate of 1 per tick with a Dropper?

Honestly, there are a few other things that will break mods before Redstone does.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why people get the idea that 1.5 redstone will "break everything".

The reason likely being that often times an update from Mojang will cause many conflicts with the current modifications as the API we use (Forge) is not produced directly by them so it takes time to adapt to the changes in the code.

As was already stated, it has happened before, and it will happen again.

1.5 also includes a new block, Droppers, that partially obsoletes RP Filters, and provides an alternative to Tubes (and BC Pipes, for that matter).

Filters move full stacks per redstone signal, whereas droppers move one item. A dropper is much closer to transposer, although it lacks a good amount of the functions of the transposer, but it is greatly cheaper.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
The reason likely being that often times an update from Mojang will cause many conflicts with the current modifications as the API we use (Forge) is not produced directly by them so it takes time to adapt to the changes in the code.

As was already stated, it has happened before, and it will happen again.
Forge may have issues due to the rendering updates and API updates, yes.

But acting like redstone is going to break everything is seriously misguided.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, if I see anyone doing anything like this instead of using pipes, I think I won't be able to stop a nuke "accidentally" going off in their base.
Why not? Hoppers are much better, they suck out and insert items intelligently.

They basically replace Pipes + Gates or RP Tubes + Lag for dumb operations like Ore Processing set-ups in a lag-friendly manner. No longer blindly piping items out under the faith that your furnace isn't full, and have a bunch of ingots floating around in the world. And RP Tubes are not lag-friendly _at all_.

Something that would long since have been considered "OP" by many, an intelligent transport pipe, is in vanilla MC. And all in one block! End of the world!

/Insert report of GregTech planning on nerfing the Hopper recipe using Nether Stars

Yeah, they're ugly as sin. But what in Minecraft isn't. Besides, Optifine always fixes that.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not referring to the hoppers as much as the 4-tick timer and a dozen or so machines being constantly activated, whether or not there are items flowing through - instead of an upwards pipe.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Why not? Hoppers are much better, they suck out and insert items intelligently.

They basically replace Pipes + Gates or RP Tubes + Lag for dumb operations like Ore Processing set-ups in a lag-friendly manner. No longer blindly piping items out under the faith that your furnace isn't full, and have a bunch of ingots floating around in the world. And RP Tubes are not lag-friendly _at all_.

Something that would long since have been considered "OP" by many, an intelligent transport pipe, is in vanilla MC. And all in one block! End of the world!

/Insert report of GregTech planning on nerfing the Hopper recipe using Nether Stars

Yeah, they're ugly as sin. But what in Minecraft isn't. Besides, Optifine always fixes that.

The hoppers/droppers are not really lag friendly, and the RP stuff at the moment is a bit of a bug. I guarantee you that as "friendly" as these things are, there will be a way to improve upon them. Not that I've been thinking about that at all or anything.

EDIT:
I'm not referring to the hoppers as much as the 4-tick timer and a dozen or so machines being constantly activated, whether or not there are items flowing through - instead of an upwards pipe.

^ This right here. Have to consider the whole system. ;)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I agree there are tons of cooler ways to do automation than Yet More Item Tracks. I think that anyone who's played with thaumcraft golems can tell you how much better that can be than pipes. I have single golems doing things that traditionally to 2-3 block structures with multiple timers. And the thing is it doesn't really feel like an unfair option because the up-front cost of making golems is really huge.

A good example: iron golems stacking objects into packagers and removing things to place back into my sorting system. Direwolf20 just solved this problem in a pretty hairy way today, but 2 iron golems and a marking block would have rendered it trivial.

I eagarly await a "tank" golem that can better move fluids from one place to another without all the limitations of the tallow golem. Imagine a golem or two intelligently keeping engines that require multiple fluids running.

I hope we see more awesome new game mechanics like that. I think Thaumcraft's stuff is nothing short of revolutionary to minecraft mods.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I eagarly await a "tank" golem that can better move fluids from one place to another without all the limitations of the tallow golem. Imagine a golem or two intelligently keeping engines that require multiple fluids running.

I hope we see more awesome new game mechanics like that. I think Thaumcraft's stuff is nothing short of revolutionary to minecraft mods.
the decanting golem? go watch Mead on youtube

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019

There definitely needs to be a golem bucket brigade at some point.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
the decanting golem? go watch Mead on youtube
My earlier prayers have been answered!

Now if only we could get Tallow Golems to be more versatile with fluids and containers, my Railcraft production would be free of Redstone Engines and nearly free of pipes altogether. I don't expect them to be carrying around steam in buckets or filling Iron Tanks with Essentia, but lugging my Creosote Oil or Lava out to the big tanks would be nice.
A different golem is fine, too.

Reactions: Lambert2191
Status
Not open for further replies.