Which modpacks do you think are overrated or underrated?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
My personal modpack is totally underrated. I strive to make Tech mods into more of a sandbox; eschewing difficulty and length of play for easier access to more advanced tools. I've made a lot of stuff cheaper, especially the quarry. I think it's a good pack for people without as much time to play, or if you just want to do a (relatively) quick demo of tech mods without getting involved in a months-long project. The challenge in my pack comes not from recipe difficulty, but from the challenge of automating everything; it's a sandbox instead of a survival challenge.
//Shameless plug. :p
You can find the forum post here; @Harvest88 runs a server for the pack which you can find under "other" in the servers section.
As for overrated... I don't really think there ARE any overrated packs. Anything that goes on the FTB Launcher by default is high quality; third party packs are a fair bit of work to create, and you need to go through and get all the licenses, so you won't see much crap in the Third Party section (including those not featured on the launcher) either. :)

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
I think its insane that There are so many People playing on a infinity Server because There are about 100 serves listed and all These guys are ignoring 3rd Party or modpacks like mage quest or so. In fact i Dont like infinity as other packs

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Different strokes for different folks. I'm a big fan of Kitchen Sink packs, personally, but I can totally see the draw of some of the HQM packs. I don't get much time to sink into Minecraft these days, so I mainly play on our Infinity server. I've recently started playing with Horizons as a change of pace, but seeing as my computer is basically a Mr. Potato Head with a keyboard and mouse, performance limitts my enjoyment somewhat.

Over/under rated comes down to personal tastes. With the number of packs available, its up to the player to find the pack that suits their needs and wants. Certain packs, primarily the FTB team packs, will always have more mainstream following simply because they have the platform of the launcher to publish on. Third party packs are listed, of course, but the fact that they are third party will automatically turn some people off. Add in SMP, where packs need to be aligned to the server, and the mainstream packs pick up even more users. Due to the mass of players being in a handful of packs, it is easy to claim they are overrated, but its the nature of the beast.

Everyone who has tried a handful of packs has at least one pack they had a bad experience with. That single play through may not necessarily reflect the common experience, but its scarred into your memory as a piece of junk, and you'll likely dump on it when it gets brought up. Truth is, even the best packs can screw you over occasionally, but most will push through because they have heard enough good reviews, or they're playing on a server, or any other "good enough" reason. Third Party packs often don't get that benefit of the doubt.

Play what you like. Overrated is just somebody else's opinion. The only opinion that matters is your own.

Krhymez

Jul 29, 2019
Majority of 3rd party packs are underrated. This is because a lot of people only way something that's "official"

I think all Kitchen sink packs are overrated.

Reactions: mattp_12

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Underrated:
I have said this SO many times, but I just love what TPPI is doing. It is a fairly large "Kitchen Sink pack"(hate that term...) that actually bothers to balance everything against each other as best possible. This is done by extensive config changes, recipe tweaks and even a custom mod.

Result is a pack where no mod feels OP compared to the others so you feel more free to do exactly what you want how you want it without worrying about efficiency.
Many things have been oredicted to allow for crossmod crafting compatibility. Want to use the RC Rolling machine to make GT Steel plates? Sure thing!
Most early items and crossmod exploits that would have propelled you into the "endgame" way too early have been rebalanced/increased in difficulty to prolong the game experience. No more setting up Endertank lava pumps in the Nether on day one. You will need to think in terms of proper power solutions before you reach the level of being able to teleport stuff around.

Waiting anxiously for TPPI2, but it is taking its sweet time due to GT6's unfinished state sadly...

Overrated:
I don't like branding particular packs with this, as I am sure a lot of work still went into them and many people like and enjoy them. But I think it is somewhat damaging for the "Kitchen Sink" genre(hate that term...) that the attitude of "throw a bunch of mods together with standard configs and it will be good enough" seems to be common. In my own opinion and experience it can be SO much better a gaming experience if more effort is put into the process. I really wish this would be the case with at least some of the official "KS-packs".

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find that Dire's packs tend to be a bit over rated, as much because he doesn't change much from version to version.

Horizons tends to be underrated, because it forces you out of the default mod comfort zone. It chops off a lot of the 'default' options at the knees, removing both Buildcraft and IC2 and enforcing a necessary alternate path.

Hazzor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently getting way into Banished, but it's pretty new so I guess it's neither under or overrated yet

Either way I want to see it succeed

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Material Energy; I can appreciate the clever use of AE spatial storage. But it starts to feel more gimmick then game play to me after a while.
Fun untill you realize you are rinseing and repeating a bit much.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Type1Ninja

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think "underrated" and "overrated" are merely someone's opinion.

And besides which... a pack which I might think is "underrated" today, well if I play the pack for a long time I might end up thinking its "overrated" in the future... point being, opinions can change a lot over time.

If you're just looking for suggestions on which pack you might enjoy playing, I can understand... but I think using the terms overrated and underrated isn't gonna help too much. :)

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
I think "underrated" and "overrated" are merely someone's opinion.

And besides which... a pack which I might think is "underrated" today, well if I play the pack for a long time I might end up thinking its "overrated" in the future... point being, opinions can change a lot over time.

If you're just looking for suggestions on which pack you might enjoy playing, I can understand... but I think using the terms overrated and underrated isn't gonna help too much. :)
Exactly I want your guys' s "opinion"

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I think Infinity and DW20 are both overrated. I love DW20, don't get me wrong but there's a serious lack of variety. There's tons of tech and automation. I get that he's a tech automation guy. Not so much on the visual end of things. He is trying with chisel and I'm hoping he'll add more things like decocraft or the like.

Infinity... honestly I love agricraft. But like pam's harvestcraft anything without some kind of hunger augmenting mechanic... people just make a baked potato farm or rush through botania for the food thing. Then there's draconic evolution. I like the chests... I hate the armor (invincible? really?). I hate the staff of power... I hate most everything about the mod. Everyone rushes through it to get the op toy and then... they stop playing...

If you listen to Zero Punctuation on the escapist Youtube channel, he does a review of minecraft. he hits the nail on the head. He talks about a golden statue he erects in the minecraft world. He says if Minecraft just gave you the golden statue you wouldn't appreciate it. And since you have to collect everything by hand and piece it together you'll appreciate it more. At least until the kamikaze shrubs come to blow it up. I think this is super applicable to Draconic Evolution.

Reactions: PierceSG and rhn

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I'll echo Overrated is most of the official packs vs specific third party packs being underrated - but that's due to smoothness/bug encountering etc.

When you play a pack on the official, you know what to expect if you encounter a bug, and while some third party teams / authors are indeed faster they are not all. I've not seen responses at all, weeks until a response (then weeks more for the build update), etc. Just as much as I've seen 24 hour turnarounds. Obviously they get more 'advertising' too, so everyone plays them, relatively few trying third party packs which often may be able to fill their niche better.

Me specifically? I'd have to go TPPI, but I was always a fan of gregtech. I love packs that extensively balance themselves - it makes things not only a bit different as you feel the authors style, but also means that things don't feel 'cheap' as someone who plays on a small server of friends. I look forward to TPPI2, and have already played it on beta (as I miss servers without mekanism these days)

We've most recently being playing on a "thrown together" kitchen sink pack - serious pack - where nearly all recipes are left as originally designed. This has lead to some interesting circumstances where you have the power of rotarycraft alongside a gigantic mekanism base, which I'm currently working on an induction cube (17x17x17 since the 18x18x18 would be uneven on my platform...) as we filled up the draconic energy core very quickly with base recipe big reactor. It's been a good reminder as to the power of mod interaction without any tweaking to compensate.

I'd enjoy draconic evolution more if on top of it's current requirements of draconium it required significant amounts of technology put in (I guess I could minetweak this but, we like to pick up and play packs)

Reactions: rhn

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I think Infinity and DW20 are both overrated. I love DW20, don't get me wrong but there's a serious lack of variety. There's tons of tech and automation. I get that he's a tech automation guy. Not so much on the visual end of things. He is trying with chisel and I'm hoping he'll add more things like decocraft or the like.

Infinity... honestly I love agricraft. But like pam's harvestcraft anything without some kind of hunger augmenting mechanic... people just make a baked potato farm or rush through botania for the food thing. Then there's draconic evolution. I like the chests... I hate the armor (invincible? really?). I hate the staff of power... I hate most everything about the mod. Everyone rushes through it to get the op toy and then... they stop playing...

If you listen to Zero Punctuation on the escapist Youtube channel, he does a review of minecraft. he hits the nail on the head. He talks about a golden statue he erects in the minecraft world. He says if Minecraft just gave you the golden statue you wouldn't appreciate it. And since you have to collect everything by hand and piece it together you'll appreciate it more. At least until the kamikaze shrubs come to blow it up. I think this is super applicable to Draconic Evolution.
I'll echo Overrated is most of the official packs vs specific third party packs being underrated - but that's due to smoothness/bug encountering etc.

When you play a pack on the official, you know what to expect if you encounter a bug, and while some third party teams / authors are indeed faster they are not all. I've not seen responses at all, weeks until a response (then weeks more for the build update), etc. Just as much as I've seen 24 hour turnarounds. Obviously they get more 'advertising' too, so everyone plays them, relatively few trying third party packs which often may be able to fill their niche better.

Me specifically? I'd have to go TPPI, but I was always a fan of gregtech. I love packs that extensively balance themselves - it makes things not only a bit different as you feel the authors style, but also means that things don't feel 'cheap' as someone who plays on a small server of friends. I look forward to TPPI2, and have already played it on beta (as I miss servers without mekanism these days)

We've most recently being playing on a "thrown together" kitchen sink pack - serious pack - where nearly all recipes are left as originally designed. This has lead to some interesting circumstances where you have the power of rotarycraft alongside a gigantic mekanism base, which I'm currently working on an induction cube (17x17x17 since the 18x18x18 would be uneven on my platform...) as we filled up the draconic energy core very quickly with base recipe big reactor. It's been a good reminder as to the power of mod interaction without any tweaking to compensate.

I'd enjoy draconic evolution more if on top of it's current requirements of draconium it required significant amounts of technology put in (I guess I could minetweak this but, we like to pick up and play packs)
A little self-restraint or even just a written challenge (like Refugee to Regent) is enough to put the fun back in heavily-modded, unbalanced MC. So, let's say that you're given the giant golden statue, but you refuse to use it until you've built a large pedestal for it to be on and an automatic diamond farm (which is possible, depending on which mods you have). BOOM! Now there's challenge, but we haven't changed anything except our attitude.

That said, self-restraint is hard to come by even on your own. On servers, just abandon hope of finding restraint. :p

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
A little self-restraint or even just a written challenge (like Refugee to Regent) is enough to put the fun back in heavily-modded, unbalanced MC. So, let's say that you're given the giant golden statue, but you refuse to use it until you've built a large pedestal for it to be on and an automatic diamond farm (which is possible, depending on which mods you have). BOOM! Now there's challenge, but we haven't changed anything except our attitude.

That said, self-restraint is hard to come by even on your own. On servers, just abandon hope of finding restraint.
I agree good sir. I'm doing the city building challenge and having so much fun. I haven't crafted anything more complex than a furnace really lol. I'm having a blast.

Everyone else is racing for tech, I'm hoping to get stage six done before the next server reset.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
As a personal thing, I find AgS Overrated. I feel somewhat the same about many HQM packs, but a few interest me.
As for underrated packs, well, TPPI is totes underrated. But I may be a tiny bit biased.