New Buildcraft Textures...

Do you like the new Buildcraft textures?

• No! Bring the old ones back!

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Yes! They look good.

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
First of all it bears being said that the textures look great and are a testament to what's possible in 16x16 by a talented artist. Now, with that being said, other than the resolution difference and minor difference in shade, they do look remarkably similar to IC2 blocks. And as such, I have no idea which block is which machine anymore for the most part. But to be fair, I don't know what half of those IC2 blocks are for anymore either, so you literally could have put two rows of just IC2 blocks down and I woulda been fooled.

BC (like IC2 Classic) was looking rather dated. It was easily recognizable at this point, which was a selling point, and that's probably what's hardest to swallow about the change. But that doesn't mean it didn't need an update. The new textures of the wooden pipes and such all gives off a more earthy look now rather than the bright basic colors of before. It's something I could get used to, and seems more fitting with the much more attractive nature of mods today. As for easily recognizing the machines, that would come eventually, though I admit that that's a downside.

The funny thing about it is that BC and IC2 always went hand-in-hand, and this is the closest they've been to finally seeming like one mod. Though if I'm to be honest, the BC textures look much better than the IC2 ones, and are what IC2 should have done to begin with rather than trying to high-res everything.

Last edited:

CyanideX

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, the resemblance was unintentional. I used the same BC base shade and mixed it with my Unity resource pack which happens to have rivets on the tech blocks. The lack of noise in the textures makes them look even more like IC2 machines.

I feel that as long as the players know what they crafted they will adapt to the visual changes. It's more of a shock seeing them all laid out without having first interacted with them.

Wolfie_Waffle

Jul 29, 2019
First of all...

I'm glad that 32x textures were not used, I personally don't like them. I think these were done better than the ic2 textures. I also agree with the notion that they are hard to distinguish. Some are easy to recognize - like the pump with it's yellow/black stripe in the center and the large screen, or the one with the green screen, but some don't have unique features, looking just like a jumble of buttons and lines. I think the quarry needs a new easily-recognizable look, as it has long been a sort of "symbol" of tech mods. Now it is less unique looking and kind of blends in with the other new BC textures.

About the new pipe textures, I totally agree. They are an improvement. I think that making the pipes more "simple" worked because they were already complex, being a smaller block size with some parts transparent. I don't think simplifying the autocrafting table worked as well because it's a full solid block, so any large area of minimal detail will end up looking flat. However, I also think that the original autocrafting table was too chaotic. It had high contrast an a bunch of small details. IMO, Probably somewhere between the two extremes would look better, keeping the visual style of the new table but adding a bit more detail and "mechanical-ness" to it like the old one.

I guess I could get used to them and be able to distinguish them eventually, but I liked in the old version where you could recognize each machine so quickly. Maybe each machine needs a sort of unique "identifier", one that doesn't look like a flashing "this is a mining well" sign, but more of a detail (like the before-mentioned pipe on the pump) that doesn't stick out but still gives each machine a distinguishable look.

Reactions: immibis

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Good grief.
I have two things to say about the new BC textures:

1. Bloody awesome - they look just as detailed at x16 as the IC2 ones do at x32. I wish I could art like that.
2. Disappointing. Not because they look like IC2 machines now - as long as the machines purpose is distinct I have no problem with a workshop looking integrated - but because they look like IC2 machines now - and IC2 machines make me think i've wandered into the section of the store they sell washing machines and stoves. I don't want my workshop to look like a laundromat.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
As boring, uninspired and confusing as the new textures are I find complaints regarding machine textures petty and small. Why bug the mod devs when you could just find or make a resorce pack that remedies this texture "problem".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
As boring, uninspired and confusing as the new textures are I find complaints regarding machine textures petty and small. Why bug the mod devs when you could just find or make a resorce pack that remedies this texture "problem".

If that's the case, then why bother releasing mods with textures at all? Just make them all coloured squares to save time.

Wolfie_Waffle

Jul 29, 2019

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I know, I made the thread when I saw the new textures and kind of freaked out. I think I probably overreacted, but luckily the thread has become more of a discussion of the textures rather than becoming an insult fight, so I think I'll leave it up for now.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If that's the case, then why bother releasing mods with textures at all? Just make them all coloured squares to save time.
Because you take pride in your workmanship... I don't know. But come on, you aren't known for making pretty textures. Wouldn't it annoy you to have such a petty complaint levied at you? Especially if the mods mechanics where rock solid.
This is minecraft, don't like a texture change it. We have this power.

I will admit though. I did get a tad confused by the textures. When I first crafted a builder in my homebrew pack, I thought I had an id conflict error with IC2. Took me a second to realize that not only is my pack 1.7.10 but that it doesn't even have IC2 installed.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I look forward to the classic textures resource pack.

The Unity texture trend is unappealing to me. I liked that mods looked different from each other. It made it easier to identify what you were looking at. Now these changes are changing the visual style completely and its jarring to old users. Sure I don't argue that change may be needed, but I don't have to like it.

I don't agree that these changes are improvements. But that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zandorum

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft was done in the Essence theme, not Unity.
Forgive me for not knowing the proper nomenclature. Despite that, the design effectively resembles similar works to me.

This evening I was using the BC builder's blocks to recreate a design from creative into my survival world. I normally play with the TV on and take phone calls so I don't focus a lot. Well I found myself crafting the wrong parts after a moment and realized I was shift click crafting a quarry instead of a filler. Yes I know that's silly, but with NEI viewed with the BC Builders blocks only, they all look the same. Drab, white boxes. Even more confusing is the change of the blueprint library to the electronic library.

I don't like it. Lower detailed models have been replaced with higher detail, but generically similar blocks. I don't like that change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyqula and immibis

Wolfie_Waffle

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive me for not knowing the proper nomenclature. Despite that, the design effectively resembles similar works to me.

This evening I was using the BC builder's blocks to recreate a design from creative into my survival world. I normally play with the TV on and take phone calls so I don't focus a lot. Well I found myself crafting the wrong parts after a moment and realized I was shift click crafting a quarry instead of a filler. Yes I know that's silly, but with NEI viewed with the BC Builders blocks only, they all look the same. Drab, white boxes. Even more confusing is the change of the blueprint library to the electronic library.

I don't like it. Lower detailed models have been replaced with higher detail, but generically similar blocks. I don't like that change.

I agree that many of them look similar and might need some more distinguishing features. But you said that the new models look more detailed? To me, they look simpler, less detailed. What exactly do you mean?

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Even more confusing is the change of the blueprint library to the electronic library.

It doesn't just handle blueprints anymore. Minecraft Books and OpenComputers EEPROMs can be imported and exported with more (Computronics tapes!) to come.

They should fit each other properly. I don't like walking into my base and seeing blocks in 3 different styles from 1 mod, and let's face it - that's what the old BC textures were.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing different blocks never bothered me since my workshop houses blocks from 5 or more different mods. But its your mod now, I'll have to rely on resource packs.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Seeing different blocks never bothered me since my workshop houses blocks from 5 or more different mods. But its your mod now, I'll have to rely on resource packs.

No. I said from one mod. I want blocks from one mod to look coherent and look as if they were from one mod. (Actually, I want that for all mods eventually, because I hate the idea of players having to discern between mods at all. But that's another story)

Reactions: Wolfie_Waffle

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
There are DEFINITELY things I like about it; but it might be useful to have an annotation on the image @asiekierka put up so we know which items are which? Also, people have mentioned a new engine texture; but none of those are engines are they?

Overall, I think its probably hard to tell about the textures because I'd imagine they look a little different while they're working. The unified look is definitely a good thing, and the aesthetic - while not to everyone's taste - can certainly be described as being singular and not excessively varied!

It is tough to make a block that doesn't look like SOMETHING already out there, if they were darker, they might look like TE; and so on. I still do think there could be something - some little bit of detail or look that would mark them out as uniquely Buildcraft - and I'd like to see that, but they look pretty great anyway!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
No. I said from one mod. I want blocks from one mod to look coherent and look as if they were from one mod. (Actually, I want that for all mods eventually, because I hate the idea of players having to discern between mods at all. But that's another story)
Your desire is everything I fear about Cyanide's popularity.