If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Tbh this is exactly what appeals to me about the mod. That they still keep producing power complicated and an involved process and actually a bit hard to do(unless you exploit other mods). I love the challenge! I LOVE that it have not gone down the road of RF where the majority of mods have over time crept up and up in efficiency in power production to be on top in popularity, until we now stand in the situation of all having the big issue: What to do with all the power?

And honestly, the fear of IC2 nuclear power is purely out of ignorance of their mechanics etc. It have always(? as long as I have known) been possible to set up VERY simple reactors that are practically idiot proof(will run safely indefinitely as long as you do not pull out or swap around components). And with Nuclear control you can set up 100% idiot proof security on it(shuts down the reactor should someone go in and remove/swap around components so it gets hot).
I get that. It's a pain to power IC if you haven't got other mods, and that makes it a challenge. (gonna ignore nuclear power, I will talk about that in a minute). But when you are late game, and you are still using machines that only make 16Eu/t at best (IIRC), then it's a bit like "Well crap", and then you just end up spamming machines.
However, if we take something like the water dam I suggested, and make it require advanced machine block (or something else mid-late game), that produced 32-48EU/t (per block?), then it would be nice. As late game shouldn't just be able spamming generators to get power. When you are early game and want to produce 100EU/t, you should need 100 generators, when you are mid game, 100EU/t should use 30 generators, and late game, no more than 4 FOR EXAMPLE. At least in my opinion.

On to nuclear. I will ALWAYS avoid nuclear reactors, especially if I am playing on a server, just because they can explode. And if you aren't online to protect them, then there's nothing stopping a player removing the coolants.

The generators that run on oil or fuel are a decent option, I've had a couple good sized banks of those. However those are of course as much work as lava to feed. But more power. Of course that was just to power the machines to make solar. If you're talking IC solar then yea crap, if your talking ultimate hybrids those are far superior to IC nukes and any other form of EU.
I'm talking "vanilla" IC, just because I don't use add-ons, beyond Gregtech/Advanced Machines

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I get that. It's a pain to power IC if you haven't got other mods, and that makes it a challenge. (gonna ignore nuclear power, I will talk about that in a minute). But when you are late game, and you are still using machines that only make 16Eu/t at best (IIRC), then it's a bit like "Well crap", and then you just end up spamming machines.
However, if we take something like the water dam I suggested, and make it require advanced machine block (or something else mid-late game), that produced 32-48EU/t (per block?), then it would be nice. As late game shouldn't just be able spamming generators to get power. When you are early game and want to produce 100EU/t, you should need 100 generators, when you are mid game, 100EU/t should use 30 generators, and late game, no more than 4 FOR EXAMPLE. At least in my opinion.
Yup, a thing that I always hated about IC2. I hate spamming machines because of my potato.
For that matter, It's nice that TE dynamos are upgradeable.

On to nuclear. I will ALWAYS avoid nuclear reactors, especially if I am playing on a server, just because they can explode. And if you aren't online to protect them, then there's nothing stopping a player removing the coolants.
Well you can contain them in reinforced stone. Then again malicious players can of course remove it.

Reactions: jordsta95

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I would add a block to must craft that attaches to the writing desk. It would give the functionality of having a button for each thing you need. A biome selection button, biome count button. A celestial body button. Etc and would give you an estimated instability of the age. Would let you preview features that mystcraft would add and allow you to add our subtract things to off set it.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I would add a block to must craft that attaches to the writing desk. It would give the functionality of having a button for each thing you need. A biome selection button, biome count button. A celestial body button. Etc and would give you an estimated instability of the age. Would let you preview features that mystcraft would add and allow you to add our subtract things to off set it.
Speaking of things to add to Myst... a "don't profile" config option. Or maybe if instability is disabled, then profiling doesn't happen.
Just because it is stupid to have if you have myst in a pack, but don't intend to use it (or use it beyond linking books between bases; no new dimensions)

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of things to add to Myst... a "don't profile" config option. Or maybe if instability is disabled, then profiling doesn't happen.
Just because it is stupid to have if you have myst in a pack, but don't intend to use it (or use it beyond linking books between bases; no new dimensions)
This

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
What do you mean with "profiling"?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean with "profiling"?
when you create a new world, myst checks for things like liquids, ore gen, etc. So that it knows what is "normal" and what a baseline for ores generated SHOULD be.
If it didn't do that, then you would always get instability

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
when you create a new world, myst checks for things like liquids, ore gen, etc. So that it knows what is "normal" and what a baseline for ores generated SHOULD be.
If it didn't do that, then you would always get instability
So, if I understand this correctly, it uses the overworld as a baseline to determine how unusual your new age is, in order to determine the level of instability to add? Hmm....I see how it's useless if instability is disabled, but why is this a problem?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
So, if I understand this correctly, it uses the overworld as a baseline to determine how unusual your new age is, in order to determine the level of instability to add? Hmm....I see how it's useless if instability is disabled, but why is this a problem?
Its a problem because most of the time it will cause serious lag and can take ages

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Because while Mystcraft profiles, it lags your game :p
It basically loads a chunk, checks the generation. Loads another chunk, checks that one, etc. etc. And does this for a while.
And depending on how many mods are added, the more time it takes to do this.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
RFTools! RFTools! RFTools! XD
For the more tech (and casually) oriented players, RFTools is like "Useful Mystcraft." :p
It's kinda OP at the default configs, but you can either a) make everything more expensive or b) who cares if it's OP? I WANT MY LAKES OF LIQUID EMERALD NOW! :D

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Tbh this is exactly what appeals to me about the mod. That they still keep producing power complicated and an involved process and actually a bit hard to do(unless you exploit other mods). I love the challenge! I LOVE that it have not gone down the road of RF where the majority of mods have over time crept up and up in efficiency in power production to be on top in popularity, until we now stand in the situation of all having the big issue: What to do with all the power?

And honestly, the fear of IC2 nuclear power is purely out of ignorance of their mechanics etc. It have always(? as long as I have known) been possible to set up VERY simple reactors that are practically idiot proof(will run safely indefinitely as long as you do not pull out or swap around components). And with Nuclear control you can set up 100% idiot proof security on it(shuts down the reactor should someone go in and remove/swap around components so it gets hot).

I will argue the IC nuke thing. I built reactors in several games using known configurations. The last game I built one in, it had been running for quite awhile with no issues, and was a model I had used in the past several times with no problems. Suddenly for no reason it melted down and vaporized my beautiful base in to an ugly crater. Now, my bad I didn't use the reinforced blocks to encase it. I should have. But, I will never trust them again. That was pretty much the end of my long relationship with IC. Machines randomly "breaking" when you pick them up (what possible rationale was there for that?) I could live with. Random catastrophic meltdown was a deal breaker.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
When I played IC2 back in the days, I took great care of encasing the reactor...the reason why I once blew up the majority of my base was because I accidentally connected a low voltage machine to a powered high voltage line, I intended to put transformer upgrades into the machine first...
Now in IC2exp the cable mechanics changed quite a bit. You used to be able to put a transformer to a MV line and power multiple LV machines on full power with it. The transformer would break down power packets into smaller bits but the total EU/t in the line would stay the same, despite LV cable. That's not possible anymore, so transformer upgrades are more important than ever in IC2exp.

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
When I played IC2 back in the days, I took great care of encasing the reactor...the reason why I once blew up the majority of my base was because I accidentally connected a low voltage machine to a powered high voltage line, I intended to put transformer upgrades into the machine first...
Now in IC2exp the cable mechanics changed quite a bit. You used to be able to put a transformer to a MV line and power multiple LV machines on full power with it. The transformer would break down power packets into smaller bits but the total EU/t in the line would stay the same, despite LV cable. That's not possible anymore, so transformer upgrades are more important than ever in IC2exp.
I would like a Legacy version of Gregtech from 1.4.7
While IC2 is heading in the right direction. The lack of difficulty that older GT had is missed.
Also, there seems to not be a need for transformers or power control. I can hook a MFSU to any machine or cable without explosions or cables buring out

If there a new version of IC2exp?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I would like a Legacy version of Gregtech from 1.4.7
While IC2 is heading in the right direction. The lack of difficulty that older GT had is missed.
Also, there seems to not be a need for transformers or power control. I can hook a MFSU to any machine or cable without explosions or cables buring out

If there a new version of IC2exp?
The reason why you don't need them now is because the devs once "temporally" changed the default of the exploding machines to false instead of true. However I don't even know how long that was ago. As for new version of IC2exp the last build was yesterday it seems

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
The reason why you don't need them now is because the devs once "temporally" changed the default of the exploding machines to false instead of true. However I don't even know how long that was ago. As for new version of IC2exp the last build was yesterday it seems
Does this build have exploding machines?

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I zapped a few machines back in the day before they removed the exploding machines thing. Crossing wires etc. Paint for cable was awesome.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see a mod add a redstone signal strength adjuster. Something that would simulate a length of redstone dust but in one block. I know you can do it with a subtractor and a comparitor reading a container filled to subtract the signal to your desired strength (usually a a hopper or chest) but a more space saving method would be well received.