If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheGreatKamina

Jul 29, 2019
It's been tried, man. In a game about building, adventure is hard to balance properly. :p
I think something like a research system would be good; go out into the world, discover something new, bring back to your base, and "research" it. This allows you to progress. Maybe the new things spawn as ores, plants, trees, stuff in ruins, drops from special mobs... I'm full of ideas, but I can't implement them myself (yet ;)). Hope that helps! :)
Heh, maybe if I actually get something functional on the modding side of things we could try and get some kind of informal group project / information sharing thing going.

You know what else would be nice? A Forestry addon that rarely spawns groups Forestry trees in the overworld. I'd like to, say, occasionally walk into a savannah and see some baobab trees. This wouldn't entirely take away from the tree breeding aspect either, because you would still be able to breed for traits and it'd be a rare chance.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers' Construct Crafting Stations need to support other chests besides vanilla. Double chest just isn't enough sometimes. Don't tell me to use AE2, I don't have that in my pack. You can get more interesting builds and actually use other mods more without AE2.

Yes, that would be a really nice feature and avoid the need for a better early game AE/storage/crafting system that I was talking about earlier in this thread.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
I would add some kind of upgrade to deep storage so that you could add a visual representation of the count and item on the outside of a block. Similar to the barrel or other storage monitors. :p

It can be frustrating sometimes to put vanilla signs on the outside of the block to label it.
Use a ar2 panel that shows what's in the system set that in front of the cable with the storage bus and Vila

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You could take a line from [old] Gregtech, and split specific key ores into different biomes.

Also ChromatiCraft requires a fair bit of exploring.

"FAIR BIT" is an understatement.
It's either that or I have something buggering around with vanilla dungeons generation, maybe it's BOP?

My suggestion ATM would be for the OpenBlocks (it isn't ExtUtils...) Guide, like others have suggested for auto building, the mechanics are also already there too, in creative mode you can place a block on top and it fills the overlay with the block you placed (I think that's how it works).
I would also like a way of toggling the guide's ghost blocks on and off, I tried using a redstone lever to see if that did something but no. I suggest this becasue I use it to make domed glass ceilings and the block overlay shows through the obviously transparent glass, it can be a little bit of a headache both literally and figuratively to see what parts you have missed. Many times have I removed the guide only to find one whole quarter of my dome remains unfinished then I have to replace the guide and remember what settings/ dimensions I set it to. This problem is exemplified when working with Botania mana glass.

I would like for the overlay to either be toggle-able (already a thing, I was a good few versions behind) or the overlay doesn't render when a glass block is placed in the ghost block.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
"FAIR BIT" is an understatement.
It's either that or I have something buggering around with vanilla dungeons generation, maybe it's BOP?

My suggestion ATM would be for the OpenBlocks (it isn't ExtUtils...) Guide, like others have suggested for auto building, the mechanics are also already there too, in creative mode you can place a block on top and it fills the overlay with the block you placed (I think that's how it works).
I would also like a way of toggling the guide's ghost blocks on and off, I tried using a redstone lever to see if that did something but no. I suggest this becasue I use it to make domed glass ceilings and the block overlay shows through the obviously transparent glass, it can be a little bit of a headache both literally and figuratively to see what parts you have missed. Many times have I removed the guide only to find one whole quarter of my dome remains unfinished then I have to replace the guide and remember what settings/ dimensions I set it to. This problem is exemplified when working with Botania mana glass.

I would like for the overlay to either be toggle-able (already a thing, I was a good few versions behind) or the overlay doesn't render when a glass block is placed in the ghost block.

I've found using dye on the Building Guide to change its color of ghost blocks is amazing for things like glass (green is my favorite so far for glass in particular). Especially if you have multiple guides at play in an area (overlapping more so) coloring them can be a huge sanity saver.

hanleybrand

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish that somewhere at the base level there was a backpack slot for each mod that added more than 5 items, and that items from each mod would go into their own backpack, and at a crafting table you could click tabs to get to the different backpacks (i.e. so you actually had everything in all the backpacks in your inventory at the same time)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish that somewhere at the base level there was a backpack slot for each mod that added more than 5 items, and that items from each mod would go into their own backpack, and at a crafting table you could click tabs to get to the different backpacks (i.e. so you actually had everything in all the backpacks in your inventory at the same time)

The first part of this reminds me strongly of Forestry Backpacks (which can be upgraded for more inventory space). They have several modes to them, and a few are amazingly useful.

The second part (all backpacks having a tab at a crafting table) sounds almost too useful. At that point, why are we bothering to limit inventory space at all? That said, in the right pack, and for the right price (expensive and/or late game) I would enjoy them tremendously.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
As a late game mechanic that already exists.

Hook and enderchest into your Logistics system, and have a colour matching enderpouch in your inventory.
Logistics pipes remote orderer + connected pipe into the enderchest will ping over any item you want on demand with unlimited range in any dimension.​
Even better: Replace the enderchest and pouch with either a Player Interface from Random Things or an Aerial Interface form Pneumaticraft. That way, it'll send the items straight into your inventory.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
This is probably more of a new mod feature, than something I'd add...
But chest sorting, like refined relocation, but add in ME terminal-like things, so you can craft while looking into chests that are connected via the pipes, but also so you can search.
Just because searching through chests isn't fun :p

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
But chest sorting, like refined relocation, but add in ME terminal-like things, so you can craft while looking into chests that are connected via the pipes, but also so you can search.
Just because searching through chests isn't fun :p
Like this?
The concept outlined below is one I've had kicking around for some time but do not have the skill set to create. It would seem like a great companion to TC, TE, Extra Utilites or JABBA and would use items from some or all of those mods for recipes. It is merely a concept and if someone took the time to create it I would have no problem with my idea being modified since I'm aware that there's mechanics of the actual coding or interaction that may prevent doing things a certain way, or that my ideas may just be unrealistic or stupid.:D Costs are approximate.

A simple early game crafting/storage mod of appropriate cost. Something with an interface that connects the inventories of chest slots like the TC crafting table, except it connects to multiple inventories using upgrade/expansion blocks.

The basic first tier mod interface/block(s) would initially be limited to a double vanilla chest. Cost would be wood, stone and iron.

A tier 2 network upgrade would allow connecting the cumulative inventories of 8 vanilla chests and a vanilla furnace upgrade option. Furnace would take up one vanilla chest slot in the network. Furnace slot would have a hopper upgrade with the same number of slots as a vanilla hopper to feed it and output configured to inventory slots as outlined below. Cost would be wood, stone, iron, copper, and redstone. It would require a small amount of RF such as that supplied by a survivalist generator, which would be part of the tier 2 network upgrade recipe, with a fuel slot in the interface also up-gradable with a hopper upgrade.

The interface would have tabs for each chest or inventory connected to it that could be labeled, and the selected tab would be the one showing in the interface next to the crafting grid. The tabs would be layered horizontally in typical fashion by number with the current selected tab showing its name in order to fit the 8 tabs.

Configuration of network would use a "connecting" block/duct/pipe system that allows expansion with appropriate cost. Recipe would use duct/pipe from TE or Extra Utilies and servos etc.

It would have tier 3 expansion/upgrade blocks that allow an increase in the number of chests. Each upgrade would be limited to the same number of cumulative slots as the basic mod. The initial expansion interface would be configured with main tabs correlating to the number of upgrades, then sub-tabs based on the basic 8 vanilla chest configuration of the basic mod. Each additional expansion would become a main tab with the 8 cumulative vanilla chest slots having a sub heading tab. Cost would be iron, copper, gold, redstone and diamond.

It would have an upgrade that connects to barrels with each barrel having a tab and each upgrade limited to 8 barrels. Each upgrade would become a main tab, with sub tabs for each barrel.

It would have a sorting upgrade based on item number. Sorting would default to a chest slot already occupied by the item, then overflow to an empty slot in the same inventory, then to any available slot in any inventory. Barrel upgrades could be configured to accept overflow of more than one stack from the chest sorting.

Recipes would include items from other mods such as servos, gears, ducts, etc.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Like this?
Sort of...

Except you would search for stuff like you would with AE, and the chests would re-arrange their inventories, so if you have a chest with half a stack of dirt (for example) and you put 16 dirt in another chest, the dirt would get sent to the chest which has an unfinished stack, in order to save inventory space

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
At this moment, I would rather like to add an all-in-one tool to GregTech that combines the functions of a wrench, a wirecutter, a screwdriver and a soft hammer (those tools you often need outside a crafting table)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
At this moment, I would rather like to add an all-in-one tool to GregTech that combines the functions of a wrench, a wirecutter, a screwdriver and a soft hammer (those tools you often need outside a crafting table)
I have been for ages hoping for an update for the GraviSuite "GraviTool". It already got the Wrench and Screwdriver in addition to Hoe and Treetap, but would be awesome with some more stuff added.

What would be really awesome is a true "Swiss army knife" style tool mod with some basic tools incorporated. It should then have an "open API" so that other mods could then add their custom wrenches/screwdrivers/hammers/whatever directly to that "backbone Swiss army knife", so that in the end you only have to carry one tool around.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I have been for ages hoping for an update for the GraviSuite "GraviTool". It already got the Wrench and Screwdriver in addition to Hoe and Treetap, but would be awesome with some more stuff added.

What would be really awesome is a true "Swiss army knife" style tool mod with some basic tools incorporated. It should then have an "open API" so that other mods could then add their custom wrenches/screwdrivers/hammers/whatever directly to that "backbone Swiss army knife", so that in the end you only have to carry one tool around.
It's called a Crescent Hammer. :)
IS JOKE
The Crescent Hammer does *almost* everything for RF API stuff, but I think IC2 is a different world. I think it's interesting that IC2 is sort of a subcategory of tech now; it has, in some ways, become the Gregtech of modding in general; it tends to estrange other power systems in favor of itself, refusing general compatibility with RF. :p

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Just because searching through chests isn't fun
Check the newer versions of Ender IO. It pretty much has the exact functionality plus in GUI crafting. You have to use chest interaction upgrades to each chest in the item conduit network. The monitor itself requires distilled nutrient fuel. But its probably what you're looking for.

Reactions: jordsta95

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
IS JOKE
The Crescent Hammer does *almost* everything for RF API stuff, but I think IC2 is a different world. I think it's interesting that IC2 is sort of a subcategory of tech now; it has, in some ways, become the Gregtech of modding in general; it tends to estrange other power systems in favor of itself, refusing general compatibility with RF. :p
And ruining other mods? *coughs* Macerating/pulverizing nether ores *coughs* :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
IS JOKE
The Crescent Hammer does *almost* everything for RF API stuff, but I think IC2 is a different world.
IC2/GT is different than most RF mods in that they deliberately make things more complex in order to make it more interesting. If you prefer the faceroll mechanics of RF, then sure people should stick to that. But I love that there are still people out there making mods with some more complexity in them.

I think it's interesting that IC2 is sort of a subcategory of tech now; it has, in some ways, become the Gregtech of modding in general; it tends to estrange other power systems in favor of itself, refusing general compatibility with RF. :p
To me it is a choice of pandering to the masses versus making something with a vision and quality. RF power networks are boring as **** and were I to make a tech mod(and had the skills), then I would also choose the route of IC2/GT/Reika/whatever and go with a power system that is less of a faceroll.