Quick TiCo Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Also, if you put the material into the part builder, even if it won't 'work' it should tell you the modifiers on the right hand side.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I make Alumite ASAP. Usually the VERY FIRST thing I do when I begin a new world is to collect 2 stacks of gravel/sand/clay balls, so I can make my Tinker's Grout and get a smeltery going. The only hard part about Alumite is the Obsidian requirement, so the SECOND thing I do is to dig down to bedrock and start collecting the raw materials to make a Thermal Expansion Igneous Extruder, plus find a lava pool so I can make Obsidian. Usually, I have my alumite tool set within a few minecraft days. Once I have Alumite, and have obsidian, I can go to the nether and my Alumite pickaxe can mine Cobalt/Ardite, I can make Manyullyn, and make a top-tier toolset.

I don't mess around with too many materials. If I can find a slime sky island, I'll use Slime Rods made from the blue slimes, otherwise I'll just use Alumite for all the parts. Same with top-tier tools. I don't mess around, I just make every component from Manyullyn even if it isn't totally ideal from a speed perspective.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
FYI: You can make obsidian in the smeltery by pouring in water and lava in equal quantities. Put a drain facing up on the top level and a tank of any sort diagonally and a faucet on that tank with the drain under it. Bucket water into the tank and drain it into the smeltery. Bucket equal amount of lava and drain that next. Ding, molten obsidian free of charge. Doesn't use any lava from the fuel tank.

Reactions: darkeshrine

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
FYI: You can make obsidian in the smeltery by pouring in water and lava in equal quantities. Put a drain facing up on the top level and a tank of any sort diagonally and a faucet on that tank with the drain under it. Bucket water into the tank and drain it into the smeltery. Bucket equal amount of lava and drain that next. Ding, molten obsidian free of charge. Doesn't use any lava from the fuel tank.
Not enough people know this. Another good way is the Portable tank. Just place it on the Drain and wrench it to auto output.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I skip Alumite altogether by using Steel. Its fast, durable, and usually available (via chest loot, or IC2 refined iron pack depending), not to mention It can mine obsidian. It even does decent damage as a sword blade.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've more or less completely stopped making Manyullyn at all. I use Cobalt in hammers and picks, in particular a stupid fast Obsidian picker upper, and my silk pick. Ardite only when I want the Stone bound Bonus. Otherwise, they're almost always used for drawbridges.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I skip Alumite altogether by using Steel. Its fast, durable, and usually available (via chest loot, or IC2 refined iron pack depending), not to mention It can mine obsidian. It even does decent damage as a sword blade.
Yeah other mods kinda break the balance there. If you only had Tinkers' Construct the only way to get steel would be melting down full durability chain armor in the smeltery.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it'd actually be quite nice if there was some sort of simulator for tinker tools, does anyone perhaps know if such a thing exists?

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I have a tendency to cheat parts in, see what the result would be, then toss them and make the parts I decided on myself. Obviously that doesn't work in multi-player, though.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
+1 for steel.

So much cheaper and simpler to make than alumite for the same net result.

I just wish there was a recipe to make it using iron and liquefacted coal from TE. I have to use Mekanism to make early steel in my current pack :)

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I get the feeling people forget that the induction smelter exists (and how easy it is to get early game for steel, shiny, etc)

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
Usually for tools i go Stone (w/diamond) -> Alumite -> Cobalt. Its very quick to get alumite as stated above, just use a portable tank and wrench it to output on a drain to get obsidian easily.

Basic Tools
Stone Head, Paper Binding, Stone Rod (generally i'll throw a diamond on early)
Alumite Head, Paper Binding, Stone Rod (by now you should have power and can use flux if you dont get to cobalt).
Cobalt Head, Thaumium or Paper Binding, Ardite Rod

Sword
Manny Blade, Thaumium or Paper Guard, Cactus Rod (Can go double cactus for guard & rod)

Jagged is a good effect since the sharpness modifier suffers dimishing returns (Mod 2-3 increses it by 1 heart and Mod 4 only gives 0.5 heart if I remember).

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The induction smelter might even be completely unnecessary for steel. Monster has Calclavia's recipe, as well as the induction smelter version, and Rotarycraft steel oredicted with all the others. Plus the Railcraft Blast Furnace, which might require the Nether, but might not if you can get a sludge boiler without going in. (Sludge Boiler can yield soul sand and I netherrack I believe, and thaumcraft's cinderpearls give up blaze powder.) Then again, it's got Roguelike dungeons, which loves to give you chainmail, whether in chests or on monsters, and has both blazes, and nether brick plus soul sand on the bottom floor.

My preferred sword is the Tinker's Longsword, with a Steel Blade, Cactus Guard, and Thaumium Rod. One level of Sharpness, because quartz is cheap, then a diamond, then moss, and finally a single piece of Lapis.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish there was a recipe to make it using iron and liquefacted coal from TE.
There is a smeltery alloy recipe for that. Look up recipes for molten steel. Although it's not like it makes it too different, induction smelter isn't really that difficult to make and you can use pulverized charcoal to make steel in it.

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
Totally noob question here.

I thought that by using a flux capacitor I didn't have to worry about native durability anymore so my second pickaxe is:
Alumite head
paper binding
paper rod
flux capacitor - for some reason it would only accept a leadstone flux capacitor - not higher tier one. Is this normal?
fill up with red stone and lapis

Am still using a bronze sledgehammer thing otherwise with a leadstone energy cell and loads of redstone - was just going to upgrade similar to the above minus the lapis.

am I doing something wrong?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Totally noob question here.

I thought that by using a flux capacitor I didn't have to worry about native durability anymore so my second pickaxe is:
Alumite head
paper binding
paper rod
flux capacitor - for some reason it would only accept a leadstone flux capacitor - not higher tier one. Is this normal?
fill up with red stone and lapis

Am still using a bronze sledgehammer thing otherwise with a leadstone energy cell and loads of redstone - was just going to upgrade similar to the above minus the lapis.

am I doing something wrong?
Working as intended. The durability of the tool determines how high flux storage you can have as well.

Reactions: buncheesy

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
Working as intended. The durability of the tool determines how high flux storage you can have as well.

Cheers
Just built the pickaxe last night and had 10mins mining but did think it was running down quite rapidly - at least its fast!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The trick of course is that you can carry additional Flux Capacitors in your hotbar and recharge from them. Or you can turn off the durability requirement in the configs. (Assuming you're in single-player naturally.)