Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking forward to seeing how Ex Nihilo 2 manages the promise of being useful yet not horribly OP in normal survival. I actually like a lot of the things Ex Nihilo allows me to make renewable and even how it does it, but I'd have to gut the mod so heavily to include it in something that wasn't skyblock or endless arid world that it makes more sense to use minetweaker and bemoan the loss of the crook (Silverwoods... *cry*).

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh! Upcoming Botania feature! Customizable (and pretty) timers!

LeafyPitifulChimpanzee.gif
I was about to say, we haven't seen anything Botania for a while. :O

Reactions: Type1Ninja

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
A "Skyblock Utility" mod with sieves, hammers that break cobble into gravel then sand then "fine sand" (which is clearly NOT dust), compost bins that can compost foliage (with a commit message from a few days ago that says "foliage now renders like Ex Nihilo" in reference to composting), ore that breaks into four categories of progressively smaller bits, "stone barrels" that can have a heat source like a torch, fire or lava placed under them to melt cobble into lava. Even catching rain in a barrel and mixing it with sand to make clay...

Yup. That is clearly based on "Tier 1 mechanics from Electrodynamics" and not at all the mechanics in Ex Nihilo.
Hm, the news thread is not really the place to dicuss this.
I would say having something new in this niche is not a bad thing, your mod and its addons were the only skyblock utilities for the longest time, as far as I know.
But a straight rip-off is not helping this case indeed.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. That is clearly based on "Tier 1 mechanics from Electrodynamics" and not at all the mechanics in Ex Nihilo.

Take it over to the RED thread. Also, get over it, there is absolutely nothing that says once you make a mod someone else can't try to make a different version.

Reactions: Pyure

Erasmus Crowley

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. I replied in that thread without thinking first.

I've looked through the code and assets and I don't believe anything was directly copied from me. I would even go as far as to say that their models and textures are better than mine. Really, I don't even mind the similarities. I just feel hurt by the wording of the project screen and the readme file that made it sound like all those ideas came from Electrodynamics. A simple blurb about how they were so inspired by Ex Nihilo that they had to try and create their own version of the experience would have changed my reaction from annoyance and frustration to joy and pride.

Reactions: Elec332

Erasmus Crowley

Jul 29, 2019
Take it over to the RED thread. Also, get over it, there is absolutely nothing that says once you make a mod someone else can't try to make a different version.

You're right. Project E acknowledges that they are based on EE2. Project Red acknowledges that they are based on Eloraam's ideas. Project X admits that they are based on Soaryn's ideas. This is like someone making a "transmutation ... desk" that uses "EM uh... Q" and saying that they came up with the ideas. I don't want the project to stop. They can make whatever mod they want. Some recognition would have been nice though.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, you really need to stop calling the kettle black.

I can't move the posts myself but still wanted to respond. No harm done because I was expecting my post to be moved anyways.

You're right. Project E acknowledges that they are based on EE2. Project Red acknowledges that they are based on Eloraam's ideas. Project X admits that they are based on Soaryn's ideas. This is like someone making a "transmutation ... desk" that uses "EM uh... Q" and saying that they came up with the ideas. I don't want the project to stop. They can make whatever mod they want. Some recognition would have been nice though.

An excellent point. I am highly disappointed in Electrodynamics both for its shameless copying without attribution and that it remained piece of concept art for so long and turned out decidedly average on the scale of 'how amazing is this unique new mod'.

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019

I've looked through the code and assets and I don't believe anything was directly copied from me. I would even go as far as to say that their models and textures are better than mine. Really, I don't even mind the similarities. I just feel hurt by the wording of the project screen and the readme file that made it sound like all those ideas came from Electrodynamics. A simple blurb about how they were so inspired by Ex Nihilo that they had to try and create their own version of the experience would have changed my reaction from annoyance and frustration to joy and pride.

I can't move the posts myself but still wanted to respond. No harm done because I was expecting my post to be moved anyways.

An excellent point. I am highly disappointed in Electrodynamics both for its shameless copying without attribution and that it remained piece of concept art for so long and turned out decidedly average on the scale of 'how amazing is this unique new mod'.

So, just wanna pop in and clear some things up.

The core ideas that made up EDX have been around for years, and none of them included the various Skyblock elements you see today. What you guys see now (EDX Skyblock, also known as Subsistence) was a combination of the core ideas of EDX and what we liked from Ex Nihilo.

Some of the functionality is similar, there's no doubt about that. We never aimed to copy, but there was a need for what Ex Nihilo brought to the table mixed with the control and integration we could only get from writing it all ourselves.

Should there be a good deal of credit towards you Erasmus? Absolutely, and I intend to go add that once I'm done here. But I just want to stress the fact we don't aim to copy, or replace. Subsistence's core role is to support the InfernalSkies map.

CyanideX

Jul 29, 2019

Erasmus, we had this conversation over a year ago now and kept a record of it. You know what it originally started as and we spoke about the similarities. I have no problem crediting some inspiration: here.

Reactions: ljfa

Erasmus Crowley

Jul 29, 2019
Erasmus, we had this conversation over a year ago now and kept a record of it. You know what it originally started as and we spoke about the similarities. I have no problem crediting some inspiration: here.

I do remember that conversation. Like I said then, I'm totally fine having some competition. I'm just very proud of creating some of those mechanics and I don't want people to get confused about where they came from. The credit you added is more than I wanted and I'm now completely satisfied. Happy even. Thank you very much.

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
For once not a ProjectE post! =D I have just released a new mod called Minestones which is based on Skystones from Skylanders, and Triple Triad from Final Fantasy.

A full description and the mod can be found at: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/231048-minestones

A full gameplay guide will be in the mod topic when it is ready, however if you have never played a game of this type you can see this video for now to get the basic idea:
Holy shitake mushroom you effectively made a game inside a game that seems even the slightest bit fun

sinkillerj

Jul 29, 2019
Holy shitake mushroom you effectively made a game inside a game that seems even the slightest bit fun
I like to do mods that are different than the norm. I plan to do alot more with it as time goes on, elemental spaces/stones, putting items up as a prize so players can gamble, custom stones via API and or config, etc. Once I get the mod topic ready I will be fully open to suggestions from others as well.