BC Transport Gates

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dimebonix

Jul 29, 2019
I use three combustion engines running off of fuel to power my quarry. How would I use BC transport gates to turn the engines off once the quarry reaches bedrock and stops so I'm not wasting fuel?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I use three combustion engines running off of fuel to power my quarry. How would I use BC transport gates to turn the engines off once the quarry reaches bedrock and stops so I'm not wasting fuel?
Run Red Pipe Wire along the kinetic pipes(or whatever they are called today).
You place an Iron Gate(any kind will do) on the pipe next to the Quarry. The set it to: Has work/Work Scheduled->Red pipe signal ON
On the Wooden pipes next to the Combustion Engines you place another Iron Gate set to: Red pipe signal-> Redstone signal ON

If you are smart you use a Iron AND gate on the Combustion Engines and set it to:
Red Pipe signal ON -> Redstone signal ON
Engines Safe -> Redstone Signal ON
This will turn the engines off should something go wrong with cooling etc.(if you play a version where that is a problem).

Last edited:

Dimebonix

Jul 29, 2019
good stuff, I've not had any cooling issues with much quarry experience thus far, but it's still always good to have a fail safe so I'll use that advice. But the deal with the quarry: there are no pipes connecting to it. When the quarry is done I literally pick it up and the tesseract sitting next to it and move it to the next location. I have a separate room setup that has all the engines, chests, other tesseract, ect. so maybe I run kinesis pipes between the quarry and tesseract so I can lay the pipe wire and a gate down? wondering if the pipe wire will run through the tesseract.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure pipe wire doesn't go through tesseracts. Best bet may be to have an energy cell with a comparator (or a gate if they have conditions for energy cells...haven't done that since 1.5 so I don't know what all conditions are available now) that shuts off the engines when it's full. Would probably work better with compression dynamos or combustion generators from EIO as they don't have the cooldown/warmup period that combustion engines (used to and still probably) have.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Pipe wire doesn't go through tesseracts, but it could output into a wireless transmitter.

Or if you're really stuck; put a chest close by, with a block of smoothstone in it. When the quarry is done it signals a redstone engine/autarchic gate to extract the block and pipe it into the tesseract.
On the receiving end, a diamond gate can detect individual items/blocks, so set it to emit redstone/pipe signal when the smoothstone block passes through.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
good stuff, I've not had any cooling issues with much quarry experience thus far, but it's still always good to have a fail safe so I'll use that advice. But the deal with the quarry: there are no pipes connecting to it. When the quarry is done I literally pick it up and the tesseract sitting next to it and move it to the next location. I have a separate room setup that has all the engines, chests, other tesseract, ect. so maybe I run kinesis pipes between the quarry and tesseract so I can lay the pipe wire and a gate down? wondering if the pipe wire will run through the tesseract.
Ok, in that situation the easiest solution is to set up an intermediary step.

You should set up some sort of Energy storage and then have your Engines try and keep that filled at all times. Then have the power from the storage sent through the tesseract to the Quarry. When the Quarry then stops, the engines will fill up the storage and stop. Added bonus is that you can expand this system to power lots of other things than your Quarry if you do it right.

I dont know what pack you are playing, but I love using the EnderIO Capacitor Bank for this. It is a multiblock that can be increased in capacity/throughput as you go. You can connect Power Monitor(s) to it which will allow you to toggle Engines/Reactors/etc. on and off depending on the storage level of the Capacitor bank energy level. So imagine that you set your cheapest most efficient power solution to run when energy levels is between 75-99%(on at 75, off at 99), next best at 50-75 and so on. This way you can have multiple power generation methods start up as they are needed.