Forge and Nova

Apparently I own this thread now...Is NOVA a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Back a couple months ago, about 6 modders (quite the popular ones) left and the modding community didn't die. So far I have only seen 4 leave. I'm not worried modded minecraft is going to die
But this time forge itself is starting to die.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's a bit of an overreaction tbh.

To quote George Michael - "Just gotta have faith"
But when you have the leader of a project just dismissing an entire administating team, I'm not gonna be surprised if that leads to people quitting.

Reactions: sgbros1

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Even if forge itself dies, modding will continue. Modpacking might die though.

We have stuff like CubicChunks/Tall worlds, M.I.T.E ect... life goes on guys.
(if you still have doubts, remember there was a lot of modding activity before forge even existed.)
If modding doesn't die, I doubt modpacking will. It'll probably far more of a pain in the ass, but it'll continue.

pancakemaster24

Jul 29, 2019
I really had hoped this wouldn't happen
From asie
Well, this means I am definitely quitting the BuildCraft team. Unless any of you want to do a cleanroom rewrite...
B8v0bSMIYAAMOPK.png

If you want to talk about go over to RED thread

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Or here's a shocking idea drop lex from the forge dev team. Since he seems to think it's become to much fing work. And I'm sure there are many who would love to lend there talent to such a noteworthy and important project.
Mod dev isn't supposed to be work. It's supposed to be fun. If he can no longer handle it he should quit and go make flash games.
That's just unreasonable. People make mistakes and that's no excuse to want to strip them of everything they have. Lex has been on the ev team for a while and I thonk someone just needs to knock some sense into him.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What I don't understand, even after all these years, is why the hell are Minecraft Modders (and many players) such Drama Queens? TBH it's getting pretty damn boring seeing the same petty comments.

We are all here playing, modding & improving the same game for our mutual enjoyment, so why all the hate and drama? I came here (as in to Minecraft, not FTB) originally from the Morrowind community, and while it had bad days, it was never as vile and toxic as the Minecraft community. (note, FTB community I find to be the best and least toxic, people generally get on here and help/support each other in everything)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think this modding community has a higher toxic rate than other communities due to the openness of Minecraft.
It attracts very different people with clashing personalities.
Openness in which sense? Mojang is not exactly encouraging mods (see obfuscation and stuff)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Openness in the sense that almost any concept would work within the game- the sheer variety of genres and ideas this encompasses compared to other modded games is staggering.
As a result the inherent friction and incompatibility is simply inevitable- by the very definition of what we do it is impossible to avoid and occurs far more frequently in comparison to other communities.

Mojang could've made the modders' life easier if they wanted to
The 1.7 update and new launcher says a lot about what Mojang thinks of modding; pursuing some over complex theoretical ideal, rather than a practical working solution that gets it done.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Makes me doubt lex's ability to manage Forge
https://twitter.com/asiekierka/status/561467896019562496
Then this discussion with Lex
https://github.com/MinecraftForge/FML/pull/595
Here is asie bloggin 'bout it
http://blog.asie.pl/2015/01/Drama-1-8/

Let me see if I understand this correctly:
1. No one is allowed to ASM any bugfixes into forge
2. Since vanilla does not require J8, no one can use it

Well, what about when vanilla only required J5, and forge required using J6 -- and permitted people to have mods that required J7 on top of that? At the time, Macs were generally running one version behind (J6 was never formally released for the PPC, and while there was an early dev version of it, which was enough to run minecraft, if you did not get it early it was not available to get later; for the 10.6 OS that runs on older intel machines, there is no J7 available at all).

And, can't ASM fixes into Forge? That kills at least Reika who has to work around a forge bug triggered by removing his DragonAPI library -- which as I understand it is triggering that bug by working around other limitations of forge involving minecraft technical blocks that don't have an item form.

"Asshole dictator"? I'll just say that I was banned from the forge forums, after asking for help trying to get started modding, and then trying to report a bug that destroyed a world with "recommended", and not wanting to have to try to duplicate destroying a world with "latest" when "latest" kept changing all the time and different mods would break on different versions, and some had bugs.

(46 messages to go ... this is going to explode, isn't it?)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Let me see if I understand this correctly:
1. No one is allowed to ASM any bugfixes into forge
2. Since vanilla does not require J8, no one can use it

Well, what about when vanilla only required J5, and forge required using J6 -- and permitted people to have mods that required J7 on top of that? At the time, Macs were generally running one version behind (J6 was never formally released for the PPC, and while there was an early dev version of it, which was enough to run minecraft, if you did not get it early it was not available to get later; for the 10.6 OS that runs on older intel machines, there is no J7 available at all).

And, can't ASM fixes into Forge? That kills at least Reika who has to work around a forge bug triggered by removing his DragonAPI library -- which as I understand it is triggering that bug by working around other limitations of forge involving minecraft technical blocks that don't have an item form.

"Asshole dictator"? I'll just say that I was banned from the forge forums, after asking for help trying to get started modding, and then trying to report a bug that destroyed a world with "recommended", and not wanting to have to try to duplicate destroying a world with "latest" when "latest" kept changing all the time and different mods would break on different versions, and some had bugs.

Most of this is for 1.8. I think 1.7 is safe
If it already hasn't

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
"I mean, quitting Minecraft is so easy! I do it every month!"

... It's ...

===

How can I contribute a pull request to MinecraftForkage? I seriously want to make fixes to the biome dictionary defaults and "MakeBestGuess()". I'd love to see a big overhaul of it, but that gathered zero support from biome-mod makers and some significant dictionary users.