Nuclear Power discussions. Sort of.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
UR MAD?!

I don't know. I just see that it reduces amount of power needed by 100 times, so it helps to get UUM much faster. Did anypony used it like that or uranium is too valuable? I'm not going to make nuclear reactors BTW.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
If you're not going to use uranium for a nuclear reactor, you may as well use the dust for something else. It's probably not a bad idea to use it to get some UUM.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Derp, I just noticed that that was a recipe for massfab, not for matterfab, so I still need 16,666,666 Eu to make 1 um. So that's pointless.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
It still supplies a massive amount of amplifier to the matter fabricator. Another good suggestion is ender eye dust (not that hard to make once you have soul shards for endermen and blazemen).

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it reduces the power requirements, but it does not. So, no advantages over good old scrap.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, there's really no point. Sure, it uses much less per piece of UU than scrap, but considering scrap is infinite and most of the other 'amplifiers' are not, it's really kinda pointless.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Its handy if you happen to have it on hand with no real use for it. Never really delve into nuke reactors, myself, so most of my uranium either goes to crafting, magical research, or compressed and turned into UU-Matter.

Then again, this is coming from the man who ground down two stacks of diamonds into dust to use as an amplifier for no other reason than he could. Sooooo...yeah.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Only 5k for nikolite, but it's highly available (and you can get diamond dust with it :D) and if you're not using it for anything else, might as well use it up. Yeah, ender eye dust looks like a much better choice, given that's its' 10 times better and very renewable.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I like the other amplifier options, and I may set up ender pearl amplifier system at some point, but yeah scrap is fine. 7 igneous extruders into 1 overclocked recycler feeds enough scrap to keep a matter fab being fed 8192eu/t full of scrap.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking about uranium, does modern Nuclear reactors have a designs that worth a try? I don't think I'll be patient enough to produce 8100 Eu/t with boilers and steam turbines, you know... But i kinda like this sort of craziness ^^

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on the pack, you can use the steam consumers and EU producers (whatever voltage you prefer, up to EV, +energy bridge) to turn steam to EU directly without need of a turbine or any other such shenanigans. You can do the same to steam to make MJ directly without engines, Universal Electricity (I think, not 100% on that one), and Factorization power.

I'm not sure if it still holds true for the 1.4.7 edition of IC2, but the 1.2.5 edition had a reactor planner you could download and use which allowed you to make designs, run simulations, and get pretty detailed stats on exactly how efficient your design is in terms of power production, downtime, and such, without running the risk of turning your base into a smoking crater.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like power converters and I like steam turbines, so I will definitely use them. Maybe not that many, but some of them are in my "DO WANT" list.

And I know the planner, but meh... Na-a-ah I have to design it by myself. Trust me. I'm an engineer!

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on the pack, you can use the steam consumers and EU producers (whatever voltage you prefer, up to EV, +energy bridge) to turn steam to EU directly without need of a turbine or any other such shenanigans. You can do the same to steam to make MJ directly without engines, Universal Electricity (I think, not 100% on that one), and Factorization power.

I'm not sure if it still holds true for the 1.4.7 edition of IC2, but the 1.2.5 edition had a reactor planner you could download and use which allowed you to make designs, run simulations, and get pretty detailed stats on exactly how efficient your design is in terms of power production, downtime, and such, without running the risk of turning your base into a smoking crater.

reactor planner is still there, and there is an ingame version you can access using the gregtech computer cube.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
There are plenty of great, highly efficient reactor designs available with GregTech.

Problem is, none of them works anymore come 1.5.1.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
My reactor setup used to give 5760 eu/t (until one of them blew up - I still have no idea how). The next one i'm planning on building will give 7680 eu/t - not bad i'd say.

By the way, plutonium dust amplifies even more than uranium, it gives 2 million.