Decent Reactor Design.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I need a decent reactor design that produces a good amount of EU, is relatively cheap and requires minimal maintenance. I'm currently on the Mindcrack Pack. It's been a long time since I dabbled with reactors. What has changed? I heard that there was a big heat change? And judging by some reactor setups people posted there are a lot of new items. Also, how should it be wired? Does it still produce EV, and what block is best to surround it with to block the explosion if it does explode?

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you! That is perfect! just one question. What is running cost? Do I have to replace broken cells or something?

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I know. But what is it? It says 56 copper,80 copper? Is that for replacing things?

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, if the reactor design melts any components it will tell you the replacement cost for said components. Also it considers single uranium (or whatever) cells as "free" but the cost of the double or quad cells are added into the running cost.[DOUBLEPOST=1363311979][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just make sure to always keep an eye on the thing. The LAST thing you want is an... Accident...

Heck no! The first thing I want to try is to fill a max size reactor with all quad plutonium cells and flip the switch. I might just load up a test world right now...

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
They said that these are all safe. I'm assuming that means they need minimal maintenance?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Heck no! The first thing I want to try is to fill a max size reactor with all quad plutonium cells and flip the switch. I might just load up a test world right now...

Been there, done that. Personally, I like making massive towers out of nukes, and then detonating them to see the interesting patterns they make. It's especially great in worlds that are higher than the standard overworld.

They said that these are all safe. I'm assuming that means they need minimal maintenance?

Yes, if properly set up, they should be. If properly set up. If. Be on your toes for at LEAST three cycles.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yeah the designs they show you are safe for a cycle but the first thing I did with the reactor planner was start toying with other options. I learned quickly that I don't have clue one about what I'm doing. If I ever do decide to build one of these in a legit game I'll just copy which ever design I need from there.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Well. Now my Mindcrack isn't starting. I edited a few things in the GT config and now the game starts and it gets to the black loading screen where it has the other window open that says FML is doing it's job. And then it just closes.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, if the reactor design melts any components it will tell you the replacement cost for said components. Also it considers single uranium (or whatever) cells as "free" but the cost of the double or quad cells are added into the running cost.[DOUBLEPOST=1363311979][/DOUBLEPOST]

Running costs should only cover the copper cost to make dual/quad cells, or the reflectors. None of the design in the thread should have any components that melt by design.

Reactors are safe as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and go off designs that pass the simulator. As backup you can also use a temperature sensor to shutoff before meltdown or most of my designs i just use a build craft gate that checks if the reactor's inventory is full. If an item is missing it turns off the reactor.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help me? I re-downloaded FTB and it's still just closing whenever it starts to open.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
You probably messed up your configs. Did you save them when you did the re-download?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I know. But what is it? It says 56 copper,80 copper? Is that for replacing things?

Yes. And early/mid-game it makes a LOT more sense to just build a few smaller reactors rather than try and manage a big one.

If you're using GregTech, then thorium reactors are like slightly more expensive LV solar panels. Clever designs integrate depleted and non-depleted uranium cells to actually give you a remarkable capacity for breeding while generating modest sums of power in a way that requires no external control or monitoring.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
How would I mess up the configs? all I did was change some recipes.[DOUBLEPOST=1363376914][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind. I think I now what happened. I updated Java so I could use that stupid site that shows the nuclear reactor setups and now MC isn't working. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Java tester says i'm using Java 7 Update 34. I'm on a mac. Could this be causing the problem?